Thread: Which set up?

Special Lister

Which set up?

Here is my delima. My wife has an 08 Odyssey with factory roof rails and no hitch. We plan to keep it for another 3 years or so. I cannot decide if I am better off getting a hitch and a platform bike rack (probably a 4 bike) or a roof set up with 2 racks. The pros of the hitch route... ease of loading... I can use it on another vehicle...wont cut into MPG to bad. The bad if the next vehicle may need a hitch (more expense) and having to remove a bike or two to get into the rear of the van.
    The roof pros...out of the way...I can remove the crossbars and bike rack and transfer to another vehicle with rails (more then likely)...allows me to add a cargo box or something if wanted to.
    Cons...cost going to cost $600 or so...loading...reduced MPG.
    Odds are when we get a different vehicle it will be a Pilot or 4 runner so it will probably have a hitch and or roof rails.
    Am I missing anything?

mtbr member
    I'd go with the hitch rack, much easier to get to the bikes, and less of a MPG hit. With a 1up rack or similar, you can easily tilt the rack to get to the rear hatch.

I am a fan of the hitch. I just worry about my bikes on the roof where I cannot see them and forgetting they are there when you drive in to somewhere that has no clearance

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've had both a roof rack and a hitch. The hitch is better in every way conceivable. It's more modular, safer from roofs, better gas mileage, and easier to use. Obviously, there is a greater risk in rear-end style accidents, but that's what insurance is for. There usually isn't insurance for driving your bike into your garage.

jrm
    mtbr member

Is having the bikes inside

out of the question. floor 2 x 4 fork QRs. Probably get 4 bikes and four passengers in there
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

ballbuster
    Most hitch racks fold down with the bikes on them so you can get in the hatchback. MIght work for you, might not. I had a GTi with hitch rack and the rack would fold down with the bikes on it just enough to open the hatchback. The Odyssey's hatch is obviously much bigger and swings out farther.

Special Lister
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    I've had both a roof rack and a hitch. The hitch is better in every way conceivable. It's more modular, safer from roofs, better gas mileage, and easier to use. Obviously, there is a greater risk in rear-end style accidents, but that's what insurance is for. There usually isn't insurance for driving your bike into your garage.
    Been there done that. The problem is that the 2nd row has to be all the way forward leaving little leg room. Also not enough room left for gear.