Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasucker?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey guys! I am completely new to the forum and the sport. I finally purchased a bike about a month ago. I have a 2012 Honda civic and I have been trying to solve my transportation issues for my bike. I have just been popping the front tire off and putting the bike in the trunk and back seat. It just gets annoying taking the wheel and sadle off everytime I ride and I dont really want a muddy bike in the car all the time. I came across the seasuckers online and I was skeptical trusting my bike on cups. The videos and reviews seem good for the most part. My LBS is carrying a few now because a customer here in town raved to them about them so much. They have a couple bikes up on the window with them. Long story long I have a couple questions. Anyone have any issues with windows or sun roofs coming loose from the weight on them? Anyone on here use the optional lock. I know there will be times that I would need to go into a store or somewhere with my bike with me. I get nervous since somebody could take the cups and bike really quick. I wonder of the lock they offer would scratch a window or paint on a trunk ( whole point of not going with a trunk rack). I cant put a hitch on my car and a roof rack would cost like 500-700 which is more than I have right now. I also fear someone could just cut the lock cord with bolt cutters and take it all even if the window/trunk anchor are used. Any feedback would help. Thanks.

P.s. sorry for such a long post.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep6901 View Post
    Hey guys! I am completely new to the forum and the sport. I finally purchased a bike about a month ago. I have a 2012 Honda civic and I have been trying to solve my transportation issues for my bike. I have just been popping the front tire off and putting the bike in the trunk and back seat. It just gets annoying taking the wheel and sadle off everytime I ride and I dont really want a muddy bike in the car all the time. I came across the seasuckers online and I was skeptical trusting my bike on cups. The videos and reviews seem good for the most part. My LBS is carrying a few now because a customer here in town raved to them about them so much. They have a couple bikes up on the window with them. Long story long I have a couple questions. Anyone have any issues with windows or sun roofs coming loose from the weight on them? Anyone on here use the optional lock. I know there will be times that I would need to go into a store or somewhere with my bike with me. I get nervous since somebody could take the cups and bike really quick. I wonder of the lock they offer would scratch a window or paint on a trunk ( whole point of not going with a trunk rack). I cant put a hitch on my car and a roof rack would cost like 500-700 which is more than I have right now. I also fear someone could just cut the lock cord with bolt cutters and take it all even if the window/trunk anchor are used. Any feedback would help. Thanks.

P.s. sorry for such a long post.
    We personally use them on the Sunroof when we use my wife's car and no issues whatsoever:

Like stated in a previous post, The lock is a personal preference but remember if someone wants you bike, you'll end up with a broken window & a missing bike.

If you want to keep the muddy front tire outside the car, you will need to purchase the optional Flight Deck:

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I understand if someone wants something bad enough they will get it. I just wondered if anyone had any feedback to offer on using the locks personally. I dont have an issue with throwing a tire in the trunk. I just dont want to have to put a muddy bike in my trunk and on my back seat all the time. I think I read you are a dealer for seasucker. How long have you been running that set up on your wifes sunroof? If you dont mind me asking and do you ship to other states?

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    do you ship to other states?
    We ship anywhere in the USA & Worldwide.

How long have you been running that set up on your wifes sunroof?
    going on 6months using SeaSucker Products. The pic below is how i run it with one bike:

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ive had one for about 5 months. Love it. Doesn't interfere w/ my cars looks. Doesn't damage the paint. Bonus, im in a rental due to hail damage... took i with me and using it on the rental. You can throw it on a friends car. It is perfect.

I purchased a window mount so i can lock it up. Haven't used it yet. Prob will shortly.

Note. The suckers are super soft, hence the worry free paint issue. Just place them back in the plastic protection they send with when not in use. They will deform. But i soaked them in warm water, and let rest over night. Back to original shape. No more loss of suction.

I keep an old rag and water bottle at all times. Clean the area, and moisten the cups... there ya go. Solid.

I get all kinds of looks. They all kick themselves when they find that they could have gotten one of these.

Price point is good considering they can mount on any smoth surface. Any smooth surface on any car. Use your imagination. A convertible may throw ya, but a sideways mount may do it.

I would sell these bad boys. They need exposure. Working in medical sales, i dont feel i would have much of an issue stepping them through the benefits.

I've scetched up some designs to modify for skis or snowboards.

I would buy again and tell all who would listen

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I was wondering if the heat of a car would deform them. I guess its good to know hot water can help them bounce back.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM

Listen!

I was wondering if the heat of a car would deform them. I guess its good to know hot water can help them bounce back.
    the simple answer is: NO, SeaSucker got their start in the Marine Industry and all of their suckers are UV Resistant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Love the seasuckers! I use them almost daily. I bought mine from the factory near Tampa Fl last April. Great deal! Threw them in my luggage and flew home to Atlantic Canada with them! Works great with recumbents too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seasucker?-baron-seasuckers.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012

warning!

Warning! Regarding the metal loop you can purchase for the security of locking your bike up.

IT WILL damage/ break your window. It is not designed to fit on today's curved side windows. First you will cratch/damage your tint (should you have it). Second, it is not flexible at all! Third, it will not allow you to close the window. Fourth, you will crack your window. Yes crack it!

I luckily had a rental. And tried it while mine is in the shop. Dame thing just cracked 15 seconds after i placed it on. Now i have to deal with the rental company. Sob!

Do not think about getting one.

You have been warned!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbltap View Post
    Warning! Regarding the metal loop you can purchase for the security of locking your bike up.

IT WILL damage/ break your window. It is not designed to fit on today's curved side windows. First you will cratch/damage your tint (should you have it). Second, it is not flexible at all! Third, it will not allow you to close the window. Fourth, you will crack your window. Yes crack it!

I luckily had a rental. And tried it while mine is in the shop. Dame thing just cracked 15 seconds after i placed it on. Now i have to deal with the rental company. Sob!

You have been warned!
    I think mine are going in the garbage.... I have tints on both cars and have weird window sizes....not worth the risk

PROEDGEBIKER.COM

You have been warned!
    Man that sux! we dont use them nor sell them.. like i said before, someone wants the bike, not worth the risk of getting the window smashed too.

Im sure you have pics of the damage, can you post them for us to see?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Love my SeaSucker rack... I run it on my Range Rover, had it on a VW Golf. I got my buddy to buy 2 for his car. It is a good product. It took me a while to get used to it, and not drive looking in the mirrors for my bike to go flying off. If you don't want a dedicated rack, or can't readily install one buy a SeaSucker.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Just ordered a Seasucker from ProEdgeBiker. Looking forward to trying this out. A bit nervous, but for me, it's really the only option on my car.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    hi!
    just bought a mini bomber!!! just waiting to arrive!!!! I read that you can make a mini bomber for 3 bikes??? how can you do that??

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Just ordered a Seasucker from ProEdgeBiker. Looking forward to trying this out. A bit nervous, but for me, it's really the only option on my car.
    I ordered a Seasucker Talon from ProEdgeBiker a few weeks ago. I love it. I was nervous/skeptical at first too. I'm riding a lot more now that I can throw the bike on the car and go so quickly. Before, having to fumble with my trunk rack and the nervousness of watching my bike bounce up and down in the rear view mirror on it as I'm riding down the highway kept me from riding a lot of times.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeto View Post
    hi!
    just bought a mini bomber!!! just waiting to arrive!!!! I read that you can make a mini bomber for 3 bikes??? how can you do that??
    You need to purchase an extra fork mount & a rear wheel strap for the center of the mini-bomber. The center bike will have to face the other way so it really depends on the size of your car because in most cases, the rear wheel would be on your windshield. This 3rd bike method will not work for most people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ProEdgeBiker View Post
    You need to purchase an extra fork mount & a rear wheel strap for the center of the mini-bomber. The center bike will have to face the other way so it really depends on the size of your car because in most cases, the rear wheel would be on your windshield. This 3rd bike method will not work for most people.

thanks!!! when it arrives Il do the experiment!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp98 View Post
    I ordered a Seasucker Talon from ProEdgeBiker a few weeks ago. I love it. I was nervous/skeptical at first too. I'm riding a lot more now that I can throw the bike on the car and go so quickly. Before, having to fumble with my trunk rack and the nervousness of watching my bike bounce up and down in the rear view mirror on it as I'm riding down the highway kept me from riding a lot of times.
    I am in the same boat. Had a car with a hitch, and grew tired of fumbling with it. Not wanting a hitch on this car, so this is pretty much my only option. Any tips or tricks to ensure that it gets a good suction on there?

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    I am in the same boat. Had a car with a hitch, and grew tired of fumbling with it. Not wanting a hitch on this car, so this is pretty much my only option. Any tips or tricks to ensure that it gets a good suction on there?
    Damp Rag, Clean Surface, push down on sucker, vacuum out excess air.. GO RIDE!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Thanks!! I am wondering if there will be any issues with a damp rear window for the rear tire and the suction. Like early in the morning when car windows are often wet from humidity.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks!! I am wondering if there will be any issues with a damp rear window for the rear tire and the suction. Like early in the morning when car windows are often wet from humidity.
    That water on the window is probably a good thing. The instructions say to wet the seasucker before using it so I can't see how that would ever be a problem.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    you will be amazed of the holding power of 1 sucker.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Man that sux! we dont use them nor sell them.. like i said before, someone wants the bike, not worth the risk of getting the window smashed too.

Im sure you have pics of the damage, can you post them for us to see?

Was sure i got them from the manufacturer. I will double back and check. Dont mean to slander/libel your products.

Will download the images asap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Bad to hear about the window! I bought a Talon off of proedgebiker. I still watch my bike in the sunroof sometimes but I have no fear. It is an awesome rack. I have been speaking highly of them to anyone who will listen. After using it a few times I can throw it on and off really quick. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hope to get the talon in a couple weeks. I don't get why black version costs more but I want it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Was sure i got them from the manufacturer. I will double back and check. Dont mean to slander/libel your products.

Will download the images asap.

You're not talking bad about our products, like I stated before, we dont sell or even bother carrying the locking systems so I cant speak for or about them.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I received mine in the mail, but have not had time to actually put it on the car. I am really not understanding how the fork mounts to the rack, especially with the locking piece on there. I only looked at it for about 10 minutes, but it doesn't seem to make any sense how it is. I am hoping to test it out this weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have one from a couple years ago with the Delta mount. Mine works like a regular quick release, but you can open the skewer a lot wider. So that you don't have to unscrew the bolt.
    There is locking piece now?

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    I received mine in the mail, but have not had time to actually put it on the car. I am really not understanding how the fork mounts to the rack, especially with the locking piece on there. I only looked at it for about 10 minutes, but it doesn't seem to make any sense how it is. I am hoping to test it out this weekend.
    Yours has the Delta Upgrade, Guessing you have a 9mm standard open drops on your fork and not the 15mm or 20mm thru axle, Once you have the right gap for the fork to fit on the mount, all you do is close the clamp. The Delta just makes the whole process a bit simpler then your standard cheap fork mounts.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Correct. Standard 9mm fork. I will have to mess with it this weekend hopefully. So once I get it set, it is just a matter of opening and closing the clamp? Not like taking a wheel off and having to turn the skewer until it loosens up?

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Not like taking a wheel off and having to turn the skewer until it loosens up?
    You'll do that at first to get the right distance. its very simple once you play with it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Big thanks for proedgebiker for hooking it up and fast shipping! I got mine and tried it on my car today. Took me a while to figure out how to lock lol. My dad was annoying me not believing the thing works. He thinks my window is going to crack. Said its better to put inside the car or take his van. And asked if I'll get pulled over with a bike on my roof. I'll give a drive test when I go biking next week. So far I really like it. Also how much lube do I put on when I need to?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seasucker?-uploadfromtaptalk1347759118009.jpg  

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by dream5hift View Post
    Also how much lube do I put on when I need to?
    I will find out for you this coming week. I have yet to use mine on my SeaSuckers after 7mo of use.

mtbr member
    Going to order mine this week

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I will find out for you this coming week. I have yet to use mine on my SeaSuckers after 7mo of use.
    I was also wondering how often I should clean the seasucker. You've never pulled the plungers out and cleaned inside or you just don't bother putting on new lube after you do so?

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp98 View Post
    I was also wondering how often I should clean the seasucker. You've never pulled the plungers out and cleaned inside or you just don't bother putting on new lube after you do so?
    When the sucker is not in use, i put on the protectors that came with it so they stay clean.
    I have not yet used the Lube nor cleaned the insides. But thats me, dont do what i do if you feel they need to be cleaned, do so.

There are some people on this thread that have their for a few years and we should prob get their input on what they do.

mtbr member
    When the sucker is not in use, i put on the protectors that came with it so they stay clean.
    I have not yet used the Lube nor cleaned the insides. But thats me, dont do what i do if you feel they need to be cleaned, do so.

There are some people on this thread that have their for a few years and we should prob get their input on what they do.
    I have yet to use their Lube as well. However, I do want to give each sucker a cleaning soon. Below is a Youtube video (may be official video from SeaSucker) showing how to remove each component and use their Lube. Looks pretty straight forward and doesn't take too long.

SeaSucker Maintenance: Cleaning

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slumpey View Post
    I have yet to use their Lube as well. However, I do want to give each sucker a cleaning soon. Below is a Youtube video (may be official video from SeaSucker) showing how to remove each component and use their Lube. Looks pretty straight forward and doesn't take too long.

SeaSucker Maintenance: Cleaning
    Very Helpful, thanks!

mtbr member
    Going on about 3 months of use and haven't experienced any real issues. My front mount works perfectly, however the rear wheel mount does not maintain a suction (can see orange rim after a bit of driving). I believe it is because of the angle of my Z's hatch. I did test the rear mount on my bathroom mirror and left it overnight. Held perfectly with no orange rim visible after 8 hours. I can tell you though, even though my rear wheel mount does does not maintain a suction, it still holds. Probably because of the weight of the rear tire. No worry.

On a side note, I am still asked pretty much every time I am at a trail about the SeaSucker. I have even given a demonstration on another biker's mini-van. Even though I haven't bought from ProEdgeBiker, I have referred interested bikers to your website. Not looking for anything in return. Know you are reputable so I want to give you service.
    Last edited by slumpey; 09-17-2012 at 07:06 AM.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by slumpey View Post
    Going on about 3 months of use and haven't experienced any real issues. My front mount works perfectly, however the rear wheel mount does not maintain a suction (can see orange rim after a bit of driving). I believe it is because of the angle of my Z's hatch. I did test the rear mount on my bathroom mirror and left it overnight. Held perfectly with no orange rim visible after 8 hours. I can tell you though, even though my rear wheel mount does does not maintain a suction, it still holds. Probably because of the weight of the rear tire. No worry.

On a side note, I am still asked pretty much every time I am at a trail about the SeaSucker. I have even given a demonstration on another biker's mini-van. Even though I haven't bought from ProEdgeBiker, I have referred interested bikers to your website. Not looking for anything in return. Know you are reputable so I want to give you service.
    Thanks Slumpy, much appreciated. I do want to let everyone know that you guys have a 1yr warranty on your seasucker if you ever run into any problems. All the guys over there are GREAT to deal with and hassle free.

I see that you did the test on your mirror which is what i would of told you to do anyhow.

Laughable Man...haaaa
    Placed an order based on faith for the Black Edition Mini Bomber and a 15mm adapter.
    I see you rolled your way into the Semi's...Dios Mio Man...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Durango65 View Post
    Placed an order based on faith for the Black Edition Mini Bomber and a 15mm adapter.
    you'll be happy

Laughable Man...haaaa
    I have a feeling you are right.

I ordered a Black Edition Mini-Bomber and it will spend time between my Chevrolet Volt and E60.

Pics to follow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    awesome, yeah it fits perfect on my E82 (135i) and my wife's Prius...sounds like we have quite similar car types, lol...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    For all of you folks who say you just aren't sure about this rack...will it work, will it damage my car, will it blend, how long will the suction last, is it worth it, will it scratch the precious paint on my car? Guess what, I have the same questions and uncertainty as you. My Mini Bomber arrives on Friday and I will be using it this Saturday on a 2.5 hour drive, 5 hrs round trip. Phoenix to Tucson.

The car, a 2012 Nissan GT-R. AMS Alpha 6 package for you car guys out there...
    The bikes, two Cervelo P4 Tri bikes. Zipp, HED, 3T, SRM Power meters etc...
    The rack, mini bomber.

Over 20k worth of bikes on a 2.7 second 0-60 car. Whether it works or not, we will find out how well and what issues were encounter. Wish me luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller909 View Post
    For all of you folks who say you just aren't sure about this rack...will it work, will it damage my car, will it blend, how long will the suction last, is it worth it, will it scratch the precious paint on my car? Guess what, I have the same questions and uncertainty as you. My Mini Bomber arrives on Friday and I will be using it this Saturday on a 2.5 hour drive, 5 hrs round trip. Phoenix to Tucson.

The car, a 2012 Nissan GT-R. AMS Alpha 6 package for you car guys out there...
    The bikes, two Cervelo P4 Tri bikes. Zipp, HED, 3T, SRM Power meters etc...
    The rack, mini bomber.

Over 20k worth of bikes on a 2.7 second 0-60 car. Whether it works or not, we will find out how well and what issues were encounter. Wish me luck.
    nice car! and you'll be fine, no worries. Check the pressure at least once on the trip just to make sure but other than that, just keep on spoolin!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey ProEdge, does your SeaSuckers ship with the upgraded mount fork? Love the sale price you got going on right now though. Hoping it lasts a bit longer.

Laughable Man...haaaa
    Love to see car passion on MTBR!

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightlost View Post
    Hey ProEdge, does your SeaSuckers ship with the upgraded mount fork?
    All of ours have the upgrade & extras, we dont even bother to carry the original fork mounts..

For the ones who dont know the difference here you go:

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Might buy one to use this as the hauler:

for this:

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast