Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasucker?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by allroy71 View Post
    Well I did the calculations below. This is the gas savings I would get if I didn't drive around with my old Yakima bike rack.

My car gets about 30mpg on freeway driving. In this scenario, I am mainly freeway driving. More speed, more wind resistance. Anyways, leave my Yakima rack on without a bike, I am getting 27mpg.

My tank is about 14 gallons.

No rack. 30x14=420 miles on one tank.
    With rack and no bike 27x14=378 miles on one tank.

420-378=42 mile difference. I am losing over one gallon of gas for every tank, which is about $4.35. Not horrible, but not energy efficient.
    Now if I stuck to city traffic, my savings would probably be less. But I am pretty sure I would lose about 1-2mpg.

Just one of the benefits of using a removable rack.
    The power of numbers. Plus perma-racks look like sh!t and make god awful noise going down the hwy. Former Yakima owner.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Carbondale

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So, if I did that right, that pays back in 28,000 miles of driving with your bike on the car since I presume you are taking this off your car when not transporting your bike.

Or more precisely, 26K miles for the single version and 36K miles for the dual version.

J>

mtbr member
    I love the Idea of the Sea-Sucker, and wanted to use them. My main concern was not the sea sucker, but the window. My car has a large piece of glass and we were concerned with it detaching from the rest of the hatch. I wouldn't want to attach it to the roof, as it could scratch the paint and there has been a recall already of the roof delaminating from the frame with no outside help.
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm worried about the window also. Not sure about all that force on a window.

mtbr member
    From what ive seen windows are put on pretty solid. Even when I have gotten a windshield or rear windshield replaced, it usually takes two of those guys to try and pop it out. But that might be something you ask around and see how much actual force it takes to remove your window.

If you have had recalls on the roof, I can see why your leery or putting it up there. My Mini has a softer roof than any of my other cars but still handle the bikes like a champ.

mtbr member
    Can you get these somwhere in europe? Shipping cost from US is ridiculous when buying straight from seasucker.

mtbr member
    Did you try carbonconnection.com? Thats where I got mine.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by 426h View Post
    Can you get these somwhere in europe? Shipping cost from US is ridiculous when buying straight from seasucker.
    where do you need them shipped to? Email me and i can give you a quote

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    just got mine in the mail, pretty excited to try it out.

also sub'd to read through thread later

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Btw, MTBR was awesome enough to give me a tshirt for my seasucker review. Still using them, so convenient and useful

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    gc4rr - looking fwd to your review. Probably going to get one myself soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Seasucker Savings

I love the idea of these, removable, reusable on any car (more or less) and saves petrol/gas. I have a small car and since I installed Thule bars and 2 Yakima racks two things have happened: I get 100km less on a fill (350km down from 450km); and above 60kph the noise from the racks (without a bike) is horrendous. I worked out the racks will pay for themselves in less than one year.

I've searched a lot for postings of catastrophic failures and I can't find any. Has anyone? The redundancy of multiple suckers is a great feature so I can't see safety being a real issue. Sure, one may fail or lose vacuum from time to time but how long would you actually leave them on your car without checking them? I give my Thule racks a shake now and again to check them out for example.

Off to the shop to get some this week. There is a mini-bomber with my name on it.

Of course the only problem now is how to easily find my car in the huge Malaysian parking lots!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggersilhouette View Post
    I love the idea of these, removable, reusable on any car (more or less) and saves petrol/gas. I have a small car and since I installed Thule bars and 2 Yakima racks two things have happened: I get 100km less on a fill (350km down from 450km); and above 60kph the noise from the racks (without a bike) is horrendous. I worked out the racks will pay for themselves in less than one year.

I've searched a lot for postings of catastrophic failures and I can't find any. Has anyone? The redundancy of multiple suckers is a great feature so I can't see safety being a real issue. Sure, one may fail or lose vacuum from time to time but how long would you actually leave them on your car without checking them? I give my Thule racks a shake now and again to check them out for example.

Off to the shop to get some this week. There is a mini-bomber with my name on it.

Of course the only problem now is how to easily find my car in the huge Malaysian parking lots!
    Just make sure the suction cups are a little damp before you stick them on the car.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Carbondale

mtbr member
    Yeah I just put a little spay bottle in my cars for that. Works perfect. I have put them on dry and still hold but I have never gone too far this way just a quick ride to the trail. I mostly always dampen them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Traildawg View Post
    Seasucker will have the ability to adapt Yakima and Thule products in the future. We should have some pics for you down the road.
    Did this ever happen? Love the idea but also like platform racks where I can both wheels on. Thanks!

mtbr member
    You can definately modify them. All it takes is a 1/4 machine screw. I sold my Thule Big Mouth Racks if not I would test it out. Here is my Thule Snowboard racks modified.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Sea sucker

I have a sea sucker and love it. only failure i had was having it sucked to my front windshield and turning on the wiper, wiper broke and the cup didn't even move haha. The sea sucker got me back riding again. Got this car didn't want a roof rack or hitch or anything on it. Found the sea sucker went for it and never looked back. I have tested this thing like crazy. I drive all highway to ride holding a about 75 no prob. I just wet the car dry with micro fiber cloth then apply. Commute to trail take bike off then sea suckers off put them in the trunk. I then ride and come back reapply suckers them put the bike on then back home. The only failure i read about is that someone had the sea sucker cup get messed up but not using the orange PROTECTIVE covers while they left it in the car for about a month while on vacation . I personally wouldn't leave my sea suckers in the car for days on end it get hot in the car, plus thats what the PROTECTIVE covers are for. I agree they are not cheap but neither are truck rack or hitchs or roof racks. It was the cheapest by far from the choices i had for my car. The best part is no marks and its not car specific. Hope other ppl give the sea suckers a chance its a good product i have had mine for like 6 months and glad to have it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seasucker?-photo-3.jpg  

Last edited by alor14582; 04-25-2012 at 09:21 PM.

mtbr member
    sweeet snowboard attachment!!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    yea maybe could make a rack for carrying luggage to the air port )

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    or maybe a rack for the in-laws

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hmmm. Wonder if I could get one of these to work on my S2000 to haul my 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by whitet777 View Post
    Hmmm. Wonder if I could get one of these to work on my S2000 to haul my 29er.
    I would measure the wheel base of the 29er and see if u could place it on the windsheild and the back tire on the roof. If u need any help let me know

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Did a test fit on the S2000 last night. No way would it work. Not even close. Chainring will hit for sure.

BTW, a S2000 is a convertible so putting anything on the roof or windows won't work either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Has anyone installed this on a new Camaro. I would to be able to drive my car and haul my bike at the same time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You left the convertible part out. Maybe you could do something with the top down.like windscreen the front tire and the back on the trunk? I don't have the measurements. Or the front tire on the passenger dash and back tire on the trunk with the top down also. When I store my sea suckers I some times just suck it to a wall and leave it.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast