Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Seasucker?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Anyone familiar with these? Curious is one would fit on the talon or bomber?

THE DIRTBAG PHAT 9
    Products » The Dirtbag | Küat

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by NoManerz View Post
    Thanks for the reply! After my own research and your comment of 2 years looks like I'm going for a mini bomber, pretty stoked!!!
    Can't go wrong with them my friend.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by trojan9x View Post
    Anyone familiar with these? Curious is one would fit on the talon or bomber?

THE DIRTBAG PHAT 9
    Products » The Dirtbag | Küat
    As long as the spacing of the holes where you attach to the SeaSucker platform is the same there shouldn't be any issues at all.

mtbr member
    got my rack mounted today and did a lil bit of riding around town just to be sure its good to go. she held pretty good so im happy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ProEdgeBiker View Post
    As long as the spacing of the holes where you attach to the SeaSucker platform is the same there shouldn't be any issues at all.
    I contacted the company but they never got back to me. 😕

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Here's a video i made of my mini bomber. It's not a review, just a quick vid playing with my new gopro. I sold my talon that i've used for 7 months to get the mini bomber so that should answer any questions regarding how i feel about the rack. It's great and here's a vid showing how solid it is driving on the freeway with high winds. Don't mind the roadies, it was maintenance day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    My mini bomber made its first trip yesterday... wish the vacuum cups were 1/4" smaller, as they overhang the seams of the windshield and sunroof, but the suction part is all there and held on twisty roads and freeway speeds and strong sidewinds.

Haven't tried mounting two bikes yet--the two delta mounts are at the same offset angle as suggested in the instruction manual so I'm hoping the handlebars will fit parallel and offset, which I assume is the reasoning behind that suggestion.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    wish the vacuum cups were 1/4" smaller, as they overhang the seams of the windshield and sunroof
    Replace them with the 4.5" SeaSuckers and your problem is solved. They use the exact same housing as the 6".

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    well they have held for days now, so it works as is... swapping in two 4.5" ones would be $100 + losing 180lbs of rated strength (though that's probably totally fine). but sure would make it fit better.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    well they have held for days now, so it works as is... swapping in two 4.5" ones would be $100 + losing 180lbs of rated strength (though that's probably totally fine). but sure would make it fit better.
    You can always sell your 6"cups to recoup your $$$. & Yes, your MB would go from 840lbs rated pressure to 640lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Finally got the bikes loaded and mounted for my first trip with the sea suckers. Big thanks to pro edge biker for sending out the stuff to my sister while she was at Disney saving me mega bucks shipping to Canada. Already had 2-3 people asking me about it so I sent them your way Prodgebiker told them to email you and say Joe from Canada sent you. Maybe you can give them the same great service and cost.

Seasucker?-car-bike1.jpegSeasucker?-car-bike2.jpeg
    Last edited by Spidey2422; 06-17-2014 at 02:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My bike (mounted to a mini-bomber) just survived a tornado... Seriously. Coming home from a ride when the sky looked a little dark, 5 more minutes that way and bam, I've never seen so much rain, hail, tree limbs flying past, trees coming down... sounded like a train on a treadmill right next to you. The local news is reporting a small tornado, not yet confirmed by the National Weather Service though. If it wasn't a tornado it sure was one hell of a thunderstorm.

The entire car was swaying with the changing of directions of the wind, I had to keep re-aligning the bike with the incoming wind. It was hard, ended up going in a circle.

mtbr member
    Great news is that both you and the bike made it out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    My bike (mounted to a mini-bomber) just survived a tornado... Seriously. Coming home from a ride when the sky looked a little dark, 5 more minutes that way and bam, I've never seen so much rain, hail, tree limbs flying past, trees coming down... sounded like a train on a treadmill right next to you. The local news is reporting a small tornado, not yet confirmed by the National Weather Service though. If it wasn't a tornado it sure was one hell of a thunderstorm.

The entire car was swaying with the changing of directions of the wind, I had to keep re-aligning the bike with the incoming wind. It was hard, ended up going in a circle.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2422 View Post
    Finally got the bikes loaded and mounted for my first trip with the sea suckers. Big thanks to pro edge biker for sending out the stuff to my sister while she was at Disney saving me mega bucks shipping to Canada. Already had 2-3 people asking me about it so I sent them your way Prodgebiker told them to email you and say Joe from Canada sent you. Maybe you can give them the same great service and cost.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car and bike1.jpeg 
Views:	647 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	901681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car and bike2.jpeg 
Views:	417 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	901682
    You're welcome my friend. ENJOY!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Last edited by R0lan; 07-10-2014 at 04:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Just did my first big trip with the mini-bomber.
    Worked awesome. 6 hrs up I5 in CA to OR. Consistently drove around 75 mph and had no issues.
    My only complaint is the noise. Man it is not a quiet rack. Anyone come up with a solution to quiet this thing down?

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Worked awesome. 6 hrs up I5 in CA to OR. Consistently drove around 75 mph and had no issues.
    My only complaint is the noise. Man it is not a quiet rack. Anyone come up with a solution to quiet this thing down?
    What roof rack that didnt make noise did you use before?

mtbr member
    Are you sure it's not the bike ?

Try putting the rack on and driving with it and see if there is noise. If not it's the bike.

ps Kuat trays are silent on my roof because they don't have the skewer mounts on them.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction

mtbr member

Seasucker?

What roof rack that didnt make noise did you use before?
    A hitch rack.

mtbr member

Seasucker?

Quote Originally Posted by Way2ManyBikes View Post
    Are you sure it's not the bike ?

Try putting the rack on and driving with it and see if there is noise. If not it's the bike.

ps Kuat trays are silent on my roof because they don't have the skewer mounts on them.
    I'll give it a try bikeless and see.

I'd rather be on my bike
    A hitch rack.
    He asked which roof rack, not a hitch rack. It makes noise as there is something up on the roof, standing up. Pretty much all roof racks, expensive and cheap, make noise. Do 75 on the highway, open the window, and put your hand out, vertically. The wind hits your hand, and there is resistance. Now figure how much a bike causes. Try putting the bike on backwards, rear tire facing forward and seeing if that helps. If it doesn't, just turn the stereo up louder and deal with it.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 924.6/5000

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    He asked which roof rack, not a hitch rack. It makes noise as there is something up on the roof, standing up. Pretty much all roof racks, expensive and cheap, make noise. Do 75 on the highway, open the window, and put your hand out, vertically. The wind hits your hand, and there is resistance. Now figure how much a bike causes. Try putting the bike on backwards, rear tire facing forward and seeing if that helps. If it doesn't, just turn the stereo up louder and deal with it.

I've ridden with other people with roof racks loaded and they weren't nearly as loud as the Mini-bomber.

Anyway, I drove into work today with the rack mounted bikeless and it is still pretty noisy. It starts at about 50mph and
    increases in volume from there. It's not as loud as when loaded with a bike.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    I've ridden with other people with roof racks loaded and they weren't nearly as loud as the Mini-bomber.

Anyway, I drove into work today with the rack mounted bikeless and it is still pretty noisy. It starts at about 50mph and
    increases in volume from there. It's not as loud as when loaded with a bike.
    Do you have the rack towards the front of the car? try moving it back so the air stream goes over the rack.
    Remember that those friends you rode with that have quieter racks, cant remove theirs in a couple seconds so they are more than likely always riding around with a noisy rack on top even without bikes.

mtbr member

Seasucker?

Do you have the rack towards the front of the car? try moving it back so the air stream goes over the rack.
    Remember that those friends you rode with that have quieter racks, cant remove theirs in a couple seconds so they are more than likely always riding around with a noisy rack on top even without bikes.
    Don't get me wrong. I love the rack. Was just wondering if anyone had figured out a way to quiet it down. No need to reinvent the wheel. It's front facing mounted near the front windshield.

I think I'll cut some foam to fill the space between the rack and the car around the cups.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Don't get me wrong. I love the rack. Was just wondering if anyone had figured out a way to quiet it down. No need to reinvent the wheel. It's front facing mounted near the front windshield.

I think I'll cut some foam to fill the space between the rack and the car around the cups.
    Not sure on what type of car you have but try to move it towards the back. You can also do what TenSpeed suggested and put the bikes backwards.
    There are more than a couple configurations you can try with these racks.. thats the beauty of SeaSucker.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have mine toward the back and their is no noticeable wind noise.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I ran mine completely backwards, as it was the most stable set up for the car/bike combo. I didn't notice much noise at all.

mtbr member

Seasucker?

Ran mine backwards the other day and it was silent. Thanks for the advice.

FWIW, the instructions explicitly state not to run it backwards.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am not sure why they would say that. Maybe ProEdgeBiker can chime in here since he has quite a bit of experience with this rack.

mtbr member

Seasucker?

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    I am not sure why they would say that. Maybe ProEdgeBiker can chime in here since he has quite a bit of experience with this rack.
    It's definitely in the instructions not to do that but like you I know quiet a few people that run their racks backwards because they don't have another option. Even on the SS site they have a pick of the MB running 1 bike backwards: 3 bike mini-bomber seasucker bike rack | SeaSucker

I'd rather be on my bike
    With my car, that really was the only option for me. I have seen pictures of similar year Mustangs with bikes facing forward, but that didn't seem to work. I could never get the front mount to be stable up on the roof. I figured that it was far more stable on the rear glass with a flatter surface to mount to. Never had any issues with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I mounted mine on my mustang forward(two cups on the roof and one on the glass) . I had to mount it close to the door and not the center of the roof. it would pop the roof in and out when it was centered.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I tried that as well, and the angle that it sat at made me very nervous. The center is absolutely no good, any bump and it feels like the whole thing will just pop right off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Seasucker Hornet - Detroit to Kansas City: 750 miles, 11 hours, 0 issues (flags removed for picture).

Seasucker?-wp_20140801_09_48_45_pro.jpg
    2014 Scott Spark 940
    2014 Focus Mares CX
    2010 Scott Speedster S40
    2009 Scott Aspect 55

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    How would this work mounting up a 40lb Fat Bike? Talon or would that Hornet work? I need an option.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpcgamer View Post
    How would this work mounting up a 40lb Fat Bike? Talon or would that Hornet work? I need an option.
    Hornet would work if you have a car that asked for it like the one above.
    Talon would also work but you'd have to buy your own fork mount. If you like, i can sell you one without the fork mount but you'd have to buy your own that is made for the Fat Bike fork like this one: Kuat The Dirtbag 9 Rack - at Moosejaw.com

Let me know if you're interested in either or you can just use the coupon code in my sig.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone can explain me the metod to install 15mm axle bike in my seasucker talon. I purchase the 15mm thrue Axle adaptor for the rack in proedgebiker. When the package arrive I installed with the instruccion. But today when i going to pickup my bike in my local shop my fork match with the adaptor but the axle to secure the fork in the adapter is not to long to catch the complete fork and i don't know how i can install my bike in my seasucker with 15mm thrue axle fork mount. The only way is with the original 15mm axle that coming in my bike. But I don't know it is the right metod to secure my bike in the rack. With the factory axle the fork secure a little bit but when the car is in movement the bike move when i have any brake or curve in my street. I think the axle is not complete secure the fork and the bike is in risk.

mtbr member

Seasucker?

Quote Originally Posted by R0lan View Post
    Anyone can explain me the metod to install 15mm axle bike in my seasucker talon. I purchase the 15mm thrue Axle adaptor for the rack in proedgebiker. When the package arrive I installed with the instruccion. But today when i going to pickup my bike in my local shop my fork match with the adaptor but the axle to secure the fork in the adapter is not to long to catch the complete fork and i don't know how i can install my bike in my seasucker with 15mm thrue axle fork mount. The only way is with the original 15mm axle that coming in my bike. But I don't know it is the right metod to secure my bike in the rack. With the factory axle the fork secure a little bit but when the car is in movement the bike move when i have any brake or curve in my street. I think the axle is not complete secure the fork and the bike is in risk.
    Use the axle that holds the wheel on your bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ok thank you mestapho

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I tried that as well, and the angle that it sat at made me very nervous. The center is absolutely no good, any bump and it feels like the whole thing will just pop right off.
    Mine leans a few degrees but it been fine. even into triple digits and around high speed on ramps.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by R0lan View Post
    R0lan, we don't sell any 15mm adaptors. We do however sell the SeaSucker 15mm Mounts.
    If I can understand what you're typing, then YES, you are supposed to use the axle that came with your fork in order to secure to any 15mm fork mount since the axle is not included with the mounts. (except for the 9mm delta)
    And dont worry, your bike will not go anywhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    ProEdgeBiker you have PM

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Rear Mount DIY concave housing

My velcro strap on the rear mount was starting to wear out. I considered the Concave housing but getting to Atlantic Canada would be over $50 with exchange and shipping so I made one myself.
    - I used some old Snowboard binding straps and then fashioned a mould for the tire using a 50 / 50 mix of corn starch and pure silicone (it starts out as a mess but quickly becomes a mouldable rubber like material).

Works great!

Name:  IMG_1970.JPG
Views: 1285
Size:  34.0 KBName:  image1.JPG
Views: 1327
Size:  33.7 KBName:  finished 3.JPG
Views: 1586
Size:  40.3 KBName:  finished 1.JPG
Views: 1276
Size:  23.4 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I have read through nearly every page of this forum, and there is a great amount of feedback and reviews that are making my decision to purchase the sea suckers (and not feel like a sucker after I try them).

My question is, does anyone own the paddleboard/kayack rack that comes with several 6in mounts. Can they be re-purposed for bike rack mounting? How flexible are packages from converting one to the other? I would like something that I can switch out pieces to transport snowboards, surfboards, SUPS, kayacks, bikes, and... possible a very low load cargo carrier? I have a thule cargo carrier that is about 30in wide, so the Kayack mount should allow for it to mount correctly (telescoping to 44"). Does anyone have any experience with this?

I love the potential for versatility, and given the new 2015 subaru WRX's do not come with factory roof mounts, this seems to be the best option. I just don't know how developed the adaptors and mods are outside of biking.

Sorry if this is a thread hijack, I really do see the value in the product for the bikes as demostrated by 18 previous pages. I just was wondering if others have been able to use these for other hobbies/toys/utilities.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    they're actually pretty straightforward things. the vacuum cups each have a threaded insert for a 1/4 20 bolt, and various stuff is attached that way or by how the pump is attached to the cup. zoom in on the pictures on their web site and you can see that.

some of the things look to be custom made by then, but some of their parts look to be sourced elsewhere. so if you can figure out how to mount, say, a delta fork mount to the SUP rack, you've got it made. (note that they use 3 cups on their roof racks, not 2... they have a big warning about not using the falcon on a roof) otherwise, you might be able to buy the parts and move stuff around by unbolting/rebolting it.

that's how i made my ski rack--made some spacers and got hardware from the hardware store and repurposed the bike rack cups and an old thule ski holder. but i don't think i'd want to be unbolting/rebolting multiple times a year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks mbmtb for your feedback, I looked through your recent threads but couldn't find any pictures of your custom ski rack. I apologize in advance if I didn't look closely enough, but do you have anything like that posted. I am certainly interested.

The package for the kayak mount quotes "The front bar has two SeaSuckers on each side, and the back has one SeaSucker on each side". Then one additional, which I would likely want to be placed in the middle of the back rack, although I would have to fabricate some sort of bracket to hold the back bar based on just the description.

From what I can take from the pictures, I would also have to make my own version of the coupler, similar to the talon, if i wanted to repurpose the cups for bike mounting. What I don't know, is if they could sell these "parts" without each package sold separately, and whether they were interchangeable. I don't mind, bolting and rebolting for different applications, as they wouldn't be on the fly or without notice. But looking at the versatility of other roof rack mounts, I was hoping that the community might have some experience with the interchangeability if they had a couple other toys outside of bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    i suspect they'll sell you whatever parts you want. contact proedgebiker here (who does retail) or seasucker directly.
    i just put a photo on the photo thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Anyone use these on the back of a 2014 (or 13/15 I think they all are same body) Toyota Rav 4? I have Yakima raptor on the roof and I just am not really digging it, I want to get a hitch mount tray but that also involves a hitch that I don't have. I have a Surly Karate Monkey thats about 30lbs and is the XL size. Also what about locks? They sell them on the site but no pictures of them. I live in the Los Angeles area and would not leave anything on my car that wasn't locked down. This is not necessarily a knock against LA, more so any major metro area. And one last question, those of you who mount them on the back of an SUV do you see much movement? I guess like most people I'm super paranoid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    Anyone use these on the back of a 2014 (or 13/15 I think they all are same body) Toyota Rav 4? I have Yakima raptor on the roof and I just am not really digging it, I want to get a hitch mount tray but that also involves a hitch that I don't have. I have a Surly Karate Monkey thats about 30lbs and is the XL size. Also what about locks? They sell them on the site but no pictures of them. I live in the Los Angeles area and would not leave anything on my car that wasn't locked down. This is not necessarily a knock against LA, more so any major metro area. And one last question, those of you who mount them on the back of an SUV do you see much movement? I guess like most people I'm super paranoid.
    See my post.... Numbers #372 and #375 in this thread, I lock my bike to my car using this inexpensive method, works great! Hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Can anyone tell me if Seasucker makes a rear tire holder for FATBIKES..? I want to carry my Carbon Salsa Beargrease Fatbike ..
    Trek Equinox 9.9 TTL, Trek Madone 6.9 Project One, Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Fuel 9.0, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9,BGXX1

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    not sure what you mean--most of the racks are fork mount so if you can get your front fork onto a standard 9mm qr, 15mm through axle or 20mm ta, it should work. the rear wheel just sits on a platform with a long velcro strap, it's way too big for any wheel i've put on it really. the 'ladder strap upgrade' may be a bad idea for a fatbike.

the hornet doesn't even touch the wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I put my fatbike on the hornet works well, just asked for a long velcro strap for the seat to rest and hold on to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Very sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm looking to finally put my Mini Bomber "through the wringer" with my FatBike (28lbs). I'm planning to get a Kuat Dirtbag 150x15mm adapter since I think they're much cheaper than the Fork Up or Thule.

Has anyone used the racks through the winter?
    It can really get frigid here in my area (0F and below) and I'm not sure what are the effects of the coldness to the suction cups.

I currently drive a mini-SUV and planning to mount it vertically at the back but I'm looking for anchors to have a peace of mind while driving (anyone know where I can get one? )

Master of the Obvious
    I have been using the Seasucker Hornet for three years now. I live in Michigan and I use them year round The vacuum cups work fine in the cold, the trick is to keeping warm before you put them on. Seasucker?-lemmyfarley.jpg

in this pic it was 9 degrees.
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    You also need to keep an eye on the grease in the pump assembly during the colder months. When the grease degrades, you can have less than optimum performance from the vacuum pump. That was my direct experience. Truckee/Tahoe climate experience.
    It was love at first sight.... she had alloy nipples after all!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2_mountain_bike View Post
    You also need to keep an eye on the grease in the pump assembly during the colder months. When the grease degrades, you can have less than optimum performance from the vacuum pump. That was my direct experience. Truckee/Tahoe climate experience.
    I'm not sure where exactly is the grease in the pump assembly - care to explain?

Also additional questions:

1. when you have it mounted on a cold weather, do you leave it there or do you remove it and re-mount when you're back from the ride?

2. any alternatives to the door anchor that SeaSucker has grossly overpriced? There has to be a cheaper/simpler alternative out there!

mtbr member
    These vacuum cups should have been supplied with a special lubricant. I think it is silicon based. You can gently pull out the pump plunger shafts and regrease them from time to time. The only time I've had failures with my Seasuckers was due to lack of proper grease.

I usually take my seasucker mount off and stick it in the trunk of my car and then re-mount when I'm done riding. I leave my mounts in the garage, so they still get nearly as cold as outside. That hasn't ever been an issue though. Mine are over 3 years old and still work well.

mtbr member
    Does anyone drive a Mazda 3 (mine is 2010) I just stumble into this thread, which rack would you recommend? I usually just take my bike with me no other bikes. It is a hatchback and it has a sun roof. These look cool but has anyone ever dropped a bike using this kind of rack?
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Seasucker?-shoes-crankset-054.jpgSeasucker?-shoes-crankset-058.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Does anyone drive a Mazda 3 (mine is 2010) I just stumble into this thread, which rack would you recommend? I usually just take my bike with me no other bikes. It is a hatchback and it has a sun roof. These look cool but has anyone ever dropped a bike using this kind of rack?
    I've had probably 10 roof racks over the years. I bought a Seasucker because I can move it from car to car if necessary and I have a Porsche 911 I use it on primarily. These racks are very dependable. Mostly I'm concerned with someone stealing it because it pops off very easily when you want it to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You will want the the Talon 1 model if you're always transporting one bike. I've had mine for six years, I have driven two hours in the rain doing 75-80 mph. I have left it on all day in 105 degree heat and driven home after that, never had any problems. Only had a cup lose pressure, still no problems. Highly dependable!

mtbr member
    I had mine on the rear windshield of my Subaru and on my flimsy aluminum trunk for 8 hours doing 80mph down to SoCal. That was the hairiest drive I've done with mine. No issues. Keep in mind, I attached a complete Thule side arm rack to my Seasucker Talon!
    I used mine for two years before switching to a pickup bed!

Seasucker?-seasucker_rack.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy43 View Post
    You will want the the Talon 1 model if you're always transporting one bike. I've had mine for six years, I have driven two hours in the rain doing 75-80 mph. I have left it on all day in 105 degree heat and driven home after that, never had any problems. Only had a cup lose pressure, still no problems. Highly dependable!
    Thanks guys!! I'm still on the fence but the feed back is very helpful.

Ozzy that's a good review - Thanks! I figured the Talon would be the one that would work best. I ran this by one of my ridding buddies and it appears everyone's first reaction is "no way"! LOL
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks guys!! I'm still on the fence but the feed back is very helpful.

Ozzy that's a good review - Thanks! I figured the Talon would be the one that would work best. I ran this by one of my ridding buddies and it appears everyone's first reaction is "no way"! LOL
    Show this to the ones that doubt

http://youtu.be/rmyR0tMVofE

mtbr member
    Nice! I had not seen that one -
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    If anyone's looking for an alternative for the door anchor @Ozzy43 suggested I use a door hinge. I've tried fitting it in and it looks like it's a go. I'll be looping a cable through my bike frame into the door hinge. It'll serve as extra insurance in case the suckers fail.

As for through axle solutions I got a Kuat Dirt bag:

Only thing is that I have to drill my Sea Sucker for new 3/8'' holes for my 15x150mm thru axle mount. I'm thinking of placing it on the middle

knobby noob
    Have a Talon on order. Silly question - the front cups are to be installed first, then the bike mounted and finally, the 15TA axle installed, correct?

And when removing the bike, the bike is to be removed from the sucker first? Or are the front cups to be released, and the bike removed together with the front cups still attached to the fork?

Thanks.
    2012 Giant Trance X1 (gone)
    2014 Yeti SB-66AC (gone)
    2015 Canyon Torque DHX
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 Evil Insurgent

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I take the bike off first then take the take the rack off second.

knobby noob
    Figured out as much earlier this morning, thanks!

Seasucker?-14188126_10153865355360980_1689032892061232451_o.jpg

Still find it a bit tricky to insert the axle while the bike is up there though. But overall, very happy with the Seasucker!
    2012 Giant Trance X1 (gone)
    2014 Yeti SB-66AC (gone)
    2015 Canyon Torque DHX
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 Evil Insurgent

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Just got my Seasucker Mini Bomber. I'm only going to carry one bike. I wanted the extra redundancy of having 4 suckers instead of 3 and I might transport more bikes in the future.

The only thing I don't like is that the front fork mount is only 100mm and my bike has a 110mm front axle. Seasucker sent me a spacer...kinda hard holding a 30lb bike, putting int he axle, and then also having to place a spacer between without dropping the bike on my car.

So far so good, I've driven about 60mph with it, but I haven't gone on the freeways with bumps/dips...we'll see! I hope it stays put or else I'm gonna have a damaged car

NO DAMAGE on my paint at all. It does leave little ring marks with the dust, but over all, no scratches and nothing a little quick detail spray doesn't remove.
    Seasucker?-unnamed.jpg

mtbr member
    I've been hauling my 29er in the trunk of my WRX for the past year and couldn't decide on what type of rack I wanted (roof, hitch). Both had downsides and with yesterday's cyber Monday sale, I couldn't pass up on the Talon. Can't wait to use it!

Question about cold weather use, if you leave the mounts in the car while riding, do you need to warm them up or are they usually ok? Obviously the temp matters, I'd say between 20-30F would be my concern. Or do you just start the car and let them warm up a bit?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Per the manual cold weather doesn't effect anything so long as the cups are above 60F at the time of install so that the rubber stays supple. I just got my rack and forgot to get a spacer for my boosted fork so haven't tried it out. My concern with the temp is when I take the rack off once I get to the trail head and let it sit in my freezing car for a few hours then want to put it back on. If it's a sunny day maybe putting it in the front or rear window with the cups facing up could help. Gonna be a kind of annoying if I have to try and hold those cups in front of my cars vents a few minutes to warm them up before putting it back on.

Your Best Friend
    Why take it off at all?
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Why take it off at all?
    Easy to get stolen us one.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

Your Best Friend
    Or your bike could fall off of your car. Risk one or the other.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Those are reasons why I passed on this and got a hitch. Looks cool and practical but the thought of my bike flying off my car on the freeway just freaks me out lol
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Btjone06 View Post
    Per the manual cold weather doesn't effect anything so long as the cups are above 60F at the time of install so that the rubber stays supple. I just got my rack and forgot to get a spacer for my boosted fork so haven't tried it out. My concern with the temp is when I take the rack off once I get to the trail head and let it sit in my freezing car for a few hours then want to put it back on. If it's a sunny day maybe putting it in the front or rear window with the cups facing up could help. Gonna be a kind of annoying if I have to try and hold those cups in front of my cars vents a few minutes to warm them up before putting it back on.
    That's my concern as well.

Those are reasons why I passed on this and got a hitch. Looks cool and practical but the thought of my bike flying off my car on the freeway just freaks me out lol
    Because of putting the rack back on after sitting in the car while riding or another reason? From what I can tell, during cold weather use as long as the pumps have vacuum it should be ok, but correct me if I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by basso4735 View Post
    That's my concern as well.

Because of putting the rack back on after sitting in the car while riding or another reason? From what I can tell, during cold weather use as long as the pumps have vacuum it should be ok, but correct me if I'm wrong.
    No, I live is SoCal so cold is not an issue, it was more in general, if the functionality fails.. adios Bike.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    No, I live is SoCal so cold is not an issue, it was more in general, if the functionality fails.. adios Bike.
    The risk of the functionality is extremely low. The company started out building things for boats, one example a tank holder for SCUBA tanks. These can weigh quite a bit more than a bike depending on configuration. Thing is if a bike rack fails its potentially a very expensive mistake. If a tank holder fails there is a real possibility it results in serious injury or death.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Could be said with any rack, but I understand the fear for sure.

No issues with my Talon after a couple 30 minute trips on top of my WRX on the highway . I just bought a fork up adapter for the new fat bike as well. Getting close to the weight limit but should still be under, can't wait to try it out.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Just out of curiosity, can you run a Falcon Seasucker on a car? My thought here is to get one of those, and then a rear vacuum mount and the strap and save some money. Bike would be in sub 20lb range and the Falcon would be mounted to the rear window of a 2013 Mustang GT. The only difference I see is that there is not the third vacuum mount behind the front two.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Just out of curiosity, can you run a Falcon Seasucker on a car? My thought here is to get one of those, and then a rear vacuum mount and the strap and save some money. Bike would be in sub 20lb range and the Falcon would be mounted to the rear window of a 2013 Mustang GT. The only difference I see is that there is not the third vacuum mount behind the front two.
    I wouldn't, with just the two cups, and them being being so narrow, it's going to put quite a bit of lateral force into that thin aluminum roof. I don't think you'll be able to fit the mount on the glass and have room to mount the rear wheel cup. I don't on my Z and it's not close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Fatty looking good up there. Went with the Fork Up 15x150 adapter. A little clunky over bumps but holds good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    I wouldn't, with just the two cups, and them being being so narrow, it's going to put quite a bit of lateral force into that thin aluminum roof. I don't think you'll be able to fit the mount on the glass and have room to mount the rear wheel cup. I don't on my Z and it's not close.

Front mount would be at bottom of rear glass, rear cup would be on the roof.

I was a dummy head and sold the thing and now I am thinking I would like to get another one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Front mount would be at bottom of rear glass, rear cup would be on the roof.

I was a dummy head and sold the thing and now I am thinking I would like to get another one.
    I still wouldn't do it, especially in that configuration. Without the third cup you're going to have quite a bit of braking and acceleration forces transfered through. Even the bombers are swept back to alleviate that. Also with that single cup on the roof, I know you've ran it before, I'd still be worried about bubbling, even more so without an offset effect.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    I still wouldn't do it, especially in that configuration. Without the third cup you're going to have quite a bit of braking and acceleration forces transfered through. Even the bombers are swept back to alleviate that. Also with that single cup on the roof, I know you've ran it before, I'd still be worried about bubbling, even more so without an offset effect.

I was more worried with the three cups on the roof as the roof does not seem stable enough to run it on there. This was the most stable configuration that I could come up with. The metal on the roof is very thin and I could hear it giving way on the test run just down the street. Once I flipped it around as pictured, it became much more stable since the front three cups were then mounted to a more solid object like the rear window. The single rear cup did just fine up there on the roof.

I'd rather be on my bike
    This is exactly how you would NOT want to run it on any car. For some reason, I could only get the cups to suction in this position on the glass, so I tried it. Was absolutely white knuckling it the whole drive. No vacuum loss on any of the cups and it was fine up there, but I would recommend never driving like this with any bike up there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I was more worried with the three cups on the roof as the roof does not seem stable enough to run it on there. This was the most stable configuration that I could come up with. The metal on the roof is very thin and I could hear it giving way on the test run just down the street. Once I flipped it around as pictured, it became much more stable since the front three cups were then mounted to a more solid object like the rear window. The single rear cup did just fine up there on the roof.
    The single cup is going to transmit a more focused force through it than the three, they are able to more effectively distribute it. This is only my opinion.

Here is what Seasucker has to say about it as well.

The higher point will have the least amount of weight on it, especially if it's the lighter end of the bike, and be more prone to movement. That's one reason why you need the anchor with the most distributed force there.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Yep, I read that several times. Mounting it forward doesn't work on this car unfortunately. The roof is not stable enough to hold the three cups well enough. I understand the risks involved in running it backwards. For this car, that is the only way it will work however. Mounting the three cups to the rear glass is far more stable than the roof. The single rear cup works well on the roof, mostly because there is little to no weight on it, and it is mounted near the rear glass where the roof surface is more rigid.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Yep, I read that several times. Mounting it forward doesn't work on this car unfortunately. The roof is not stable enough to hold the three cups well enough. I understand the risks involved in running it backwards. For this car, that is the only way it will work however. Mounting the three cups to the rear glass is far more stable than the roof. The single rear cup works well on the roof, mostly because there is little to no weight on it, and it is mounted near the rear glass where the roof surface is more rigid.
    I have seen bikes mounted all kinds of crazy ways.

mtbr member
    I think I hit the low temp limit last weekend for the Talon. It was about 20F and windy, went to mount the cups but tried to wipe off the roof/windshield before and water just froze on it.

Kind of a pain so I just threw the bike in the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I had some dumbass break into my car a few months back. My Talon set was just sitting in the back seat. They took some change from the center console and a USB cable I used for charging. I still have the Talon

I am about to transport my very own custom from Ft Collins to Denver later this week, and I have nothing but confidence in the rack. I've had it on top of my wife's SUV, driving over some serious off road trail, and the only issue was the tin roof making some noise as the rack wobbled a bit. I checked the seal on the cups twice, had to pump one a bit, but that's it. Solid rack, so long as you use common sense.

Added bonus... I'll always have my rear tire on the trunk, creating that reminder I need to NOT drive into my garage with the bike on the roof.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345