Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seasucker?

mtbr member
    I went this route because I have bikes with 24mm, 20mm, and 15mm thru axles. I didn't want to buy $150 worth of axle adapters. Plus, I like to keep my front wheel on so my disk rotor stays aligned where I last adjusted it. I have several forks that require me to use tools to remove the wheels. I just prefer to leave my wheels on whenever I can.

The mount is a Talon that has been taken apart and re-orientated to accommodate the awkward center of gravity of the Thule rack clamp. I custom fabbed attachment pieces to make the mount work with the angles of my car. Total time to do all this was a couple hours. I can always use the Talon mount as originally configured or the Thule separately (on my Jeep). I just wanted something extremely quick, removable, and compatible with any bike. This accomplishes all of that and to the best of my knowledge is the only one like it.
    It was love at first sight.... she had alloy nipples after all!

PROEDGEBIKER.COM

Atmospheric effect on vacuum cups at Altitude

One question that we always get about the racks and a question that has come up on this thread & others repeatedly:

Atmospheric effect on vacuum cups at Altitude | SeaSucker

Ride lots...
    After driving dad-mobiles (minivans and tank like SUV's) for the last 12 years I finally got a car for me -- a Mini Cooper S. I love it but be careful what you wish for--I'm in a bit of a conundrum as to what to use for a rack. I knew it would be an issue but I'm wondering what to do about a rack for my bikes. My mini won't take the Mini specific hitch rack (I understand you can't hitch the "S" model) or the Mini roof rack (have to drill holes in the roof--no thanks).

I was looking into the appropriate Thule rack to fit the Mini, but even with taking everything off the Thule roof rack I had on my old SUV I'm still looking at $350 to purchase the necessary parts to throw a Thule rack on. Pods, footings and short roof adapter--3 items totaling $350!! Ridiculous!!

Plus I'm not wild about having a roof rack permanently attached to the Mini. No big deal when I drove a SUV or minivan, but not what I want on the Mini.

I've looked into trunk/tailgate strap racks but those are well known to cause paint/finish problems and/or dent/deformation problems. No thanks!

Now I see the Sea Sucker and I'm cautiously interested. My main concern is that my Mini has front and rear sunroofs and I'm not wild about attaching the Sea Sucker to them. They also don't leave much roof space. It also has a rear spoiler.

Think the Sea Sucker will work? I've scanned this whole thread and didn't see anyone attempting one on a Mini.

Thanks for any info/opinions!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seasucker?-31.jpg  

Seasucker?-4.jpg  

Seasucker?-13.jpg  

Seasucker?-12.jpg  

I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by DSDuke View Post
    After driving dad-mobiles (minivans and tank like SUV's) for the last 12 years I finally got a car for me -- a Mini Cooper S. I love it but be careful what you wish for--I'm in a bit of a conundrum as to what to use for a rack. I knew it would be an issue but I'm wondering what to do about a rack for my bikes. My mini won't take the Mini specific hitch rack (I understand you can't hitch the "S" model) or the Mini roof rack (have to drill holes in the roof--no thanks).

I was looking into the appropriate Thule rack to fit the Mini, but even with taking everything off the Thule roof rack I had on my old SUV I'm still looking at $350 to purchase the necessary parts to throw a Thule rack on. Pods, footings and short roof adapter--3 items totaling $350!! Ridiculous!!

Plus I'm not wild about having a roof rack permanently attached to the Mini. No big deal when I drove a SUV or minivan, but not what I want on the Mini.

I've looked into trunk/tailgate strap racks but those are well known to cause paint/finish problems and/or dent/deformation problems. No thanks!

Now I see the Sea Sucker and I'm cautiously interested. My main concern is that my Mini has front and rear sunroofs and I'm not wild about attaching the Sea Sucker to them. They also don't leave much roof space. It also has a rear spoiler.

Think the Sea Sucker will work? I've scanned this whole thread and didn't see anyone attempting one on a Mini.

Thanks for any info/opinions!!
    Check out post #24 : SeaSucker Bike Rack Owners... POST YOUR PICS!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Good job!

After searching forever for a bike rack that would suit my needs I pulled the trigger on the Seasucker Mini Bomber. It came in today from proedgebiker, I am loving it! Thank you guys.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I would kill to have a mostly glass roof and a Seasucker. It should fit, and it will be very stable on the glass. No body panel flex to deal with, and I have that on my Mustang trunk. No worries about the Seasucker messing up your paint either with glass. So envious of that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I would kill to have a mostly glass roof and a Seasucker. It should fit, and it will be very stable on the glass. No body panel flex to deal with, and I have that on my Mustang trunk. No worries about the Seasucker messing up your paint either with glass. So envious of that.
    I see that you have a 2013 Mustang...I have a 2012 Mustang. How does the Seasucker work on your car? Any issues with the suction cups leaving marks on your paint? Anyway to mount it totally on the back glass?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I haven't found a way to mount it totally to the rear window. I wish that I could. I feel like there is a lot of panel flex on my Mustang, specifically the roof.

This way will work, however over bumps and when on any type of road that is not super smooth when turning, you can hear the whole thing just wobble on the roof. Like if you took a sheet of thin metal and just shook it.

This is how I have been running it after I figured out that the above way wouldn't work well.

I have not noticed anything on the paint. I make sure to wipe the area really well before and after installing it. You do have to be careful when you open the trunk, because if the rack is not far enough up on the rear window, you WILL hit it. If the trunk was another 3-4 inches long, and there was no spoiler there, I could mount the front on the glass, and the rear on the trunk, but as is, it will not fit that way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How well do these things hold up at 1000HP? Haha!

mtbr member

Seasucker?

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMKIV View Post
    Went 100 mph for a short distance in my 370Z over the weekend. Was in an unexpected race to get onto the highway. Other driver wouldn't let me pass ahead of him. I slowed down as 100 mph was pushing it with a bike on the roof. Also, not aerodynamic. Drove another 30 miles (at 80 mph) to get home with no lost of suction upon removal.
    Last edited by slumpey; 02-15-2013 at 06:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi all, could anyone upload a pic of seasucker mounted on a Porsche Boxster pls?? Im interesting in buying one of this but I cant find any pic of that...

Thank you in advance guys
    Last edited by delarosa13; 02-17-2013 at 05:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    =;d

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by johnyboy2157 View Post
    Nice work mate, i should attach same with mine
    Hi Johny, Im interested in buying one of that for my boxster 986, could you upload some pics of the mount? rear trunk right? and what about rear wheel? cause rear trunk is very short...thank you in advance
    Last edited by delarosa13; 02-18-2013 at 05:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just bought a miata a few months ago, do you guys think it would be safe to put the seasuckers on the the fiberglass hardtop?

I'd rather be on my bike
    I don't see why it wouldn't work on the fiberglass hardtop. Give it a shot and post up some pics and results.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i had the same problem on my mustang. I ended up mounting it closer to the door and not centered with 2 cups on the roof and one on the window. its a lot more solid and no roof flex.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Can you post up a pic of how you mount it? Always looking for another way to mount.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Traildawg, I've got questions before I buy. Can you reach out to me or have someone do so?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Every photo I see seems to have at least one cup on glass, I've got a Ford Flex with a long metal roof, will it hold to that?

I'd rather be on my bike
    I use the glass as it is much more stable than the roof of my car. I would just use the roof if I could, but it flexes way too much for my liking, and I get nervous that I am gonna lose suction on one or more of the cups. I doubt that will happen, but it will worries me. Does your Flex have a sunroof? You could always use that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    With the miata you might be better off with the front mounted to windshield and the rear on the trunk lid with the top down lol. Not sure the angle would work on that though. The fiberglass on the miata tops are pretty thin I'm not sure I'd want to rely on just having it mounted to that. If you could work out a way to get it to mount to glass with the hard top on sure but the top and trunk is so short I'm not sure I see a way in my head.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    With the miata you might be better off with the front mounted to windshield and the rear on the trunk lid with the top down lol. Not sure the angle would work on that though. The fiberglass on the miata tops are pretty thin I'm not sure I'd want to rely on just having it mounted to that. If you could work out a way to get it to mount to glass with the hard top on sure but the top and trunk is so short I'm not sure I see a way in my head.
    I would do the reverse because I don't think that the way you described will work. That might be too much of an angle for the fork mount to work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2_mountain_bike View Post
    I was inspired by the snowboard rack that was posted previously. I bought the Talon mount from ProEdge last week and then a nice Thule bike carrier. Made a few parts myself to attach the two systems together and voila! Perfect rack. Used it this past weekend and it was awesome. 2 minutes to install and load the bike and half that time to take everything off. It even fits, as is, in the back of my trunk. Love it! Didn't lose any suction and the bike barely sways.
    I love this set up and was wondering if you would mind explaining a little about how you made this work and what custom parts you had to fab. Thanks

mtbr member
    As far as custom parts for mounting the Thule gutter to the sea sucker, I made a pivoting mount for the rear tire mount so it could angle up for my trunk lid. It is basically a U-bracket with a hole in the center for a pivot shaft. The pivot shaft has a threaded hole which bolts thru the Thule gutter (I drilled a hole in the Thule gutter and ran a bolt thru it and into the threaded pivot shaft).

You can mount the front of the Thule gutter (with the quick ratcheting frame clamp) by lining up two of the square holes on the Thule to two of the center threaded holes on the sea sucker front mount (2 of them lined right up). To mount to the third front sea sucker cup, you would need to drill a hole through the sea sucker plastic plate in order to line up with the Thule plate. I oriented the sea sucker front mount so I had two vacuum cups on the side of the Thule frame clamp, in order to better support the heavy weight of this clamp. I also drilled out 2 more holes at all four vacuum cup slotted top caps and added 2 more bolts through the top caps and plastic mounting plate. The top caps are the plastic pieces that hole the pump down. I did this because I had one of the molded-in aluminum thread inserts pull out of the sea sucker top cap due to constant mount movement. The movement isn't much worse than a typical roof rack, but because this is a soft mount system instead of a hard rigid mount, you do get a tad more bike movement. I've been running this setup for four months twice a week, and absolutely love it. No other issues after adding more bolts thru the top caps. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2_mountain_bike View Post
    As far as custom parts for mounting the Thule gutter to the sea sucker, I made a pivoting mount for the rear tire mount so it could angle up for my trunk lid. It is basically a U-bracket with a hole in the center for a pivot shaft. The pivot shaft has a threaded hole which bolts thru the Thule gutter (I drilled a hole in the Thule gutter and ran a bolt thru it and into the threaded pivot shaft).

You can mount the front of the Thule gutter (with the quick ratcheting frame clamp) by lining up two of the square holes on the Thule to two of the center threaded holes on the sea sucker front mount (2 of them lined right up). To mount to the third front sea sucker cup, you would need to drill a hole through the sea sucker plastic plate in order to line up with the Thule plate. I oriented the sea sucker front mount so I had two vacuum cups on the side of the Thule frame clamp, in order to better support the heavy weight of this clamp. I also drilled out 2 more holes at all four vacuum cup slotted top caps and added 2 more bolts through the top caps and plastic mounting plate. The top caps are the plastic pieces that hole the pump down. I did this because I had one of the molded-in aluminum thread inserts pull out of the sea sucker top cap due to constant mount movement. The movement isn't much worse than a typical roof rack, but because this is a soft mount system instead of a hard rigid mount, you do get a tad more bike movement. I've been running this setup for four months twice a week, and absolutely love it. No other issues after adding more bolts thru the top caps. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your reply, I'm gonna have to attempt to do something like this

mtbr member
    Almost forgot.. you'll need some 1/2" spacers between the sea sucker plastic plate and the Thule base if you go with the Thule, since its baseplate has a large lip to it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Anyone have a seasucker on a scion XB 1st gen?

mtbr member
    Sorry if this has been addressed already, but I don't want to wade through all 14 pages.

Are there plans for a Seasucker that keeps the front wheel on?

Also, I saw on an earlier page (in 2010) that there were plans for a Seasucker that would simply hold the crossbars, but I couldn't find anything on the Seasucker website.

The only thing keeping me from purchasing is that I want to keep my front wheel on. I haven an extra Yakima bike holder, but no crossbars on the car I'm trying to outfit. So either a sucker that holds cross bars, or a sucker that lets me keep the front wheel on would work for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hornet | SeaSucker
    Not a fan of this model but your wheel stays on.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I don't have a hatchback though.

Master of the Obvious
    Yes its called the "Hornet" I recently bought one I have used it 4 times and really like the way it works. It won't work on a sedan though it is designed for SUV's and Hatchbacks.

I will be doing an indepth review on my blog later this week.
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Yup. I've got a sedan.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Seasucker?-img_1462.jpg

My 2012 5.0 with the Talon, Im still very sketched out about using this rack. I have only used it once and it held up fine, but it still does not have my full trust. I work from 6am to 5pm I plan on taking it to work and riding after, is it okay to let it sit in the sun all day?

mtbr member
    I'd be more worried about your setup getting stolen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It goes from my house to the trails, then I put the rack in the trunk when I ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by THOWEDMODE2323 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1462.jpg 
Views:	2559 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	792993

My 2012 5.0 with the Talon, Im still very sketched out about using this rack. I have only used it once and it held up fine, but it still does not have my full trust. I work from 6am to 5pm I plan on taking it to work and riding after, is it okay to let it sit in the sun all day?
    I have had my talon for a year now, I drive like I stole it and have never had any problems keeping my rack on my car all day, even when it was 110 degrees and I had a two hour drive home after it sat all day in that temp. While I was working. Have no fear. Just for extra security I would re-wet the suckers before heading out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have had my talon for a year now, I drive like I stole it and have never had any problems keeping my rack on my car all day, even when it was 110 degrees and I had a two hour drive home after it sat all day in that temp. While I was working. Have no fear. Just for extra security I would re-wet the suckers before heading out.[/QUOTE]
    when you re-wet it are you just leaving the whole bike on the mount and picking up every thing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yep. I leave it on the car, pop the edge of each sucker up and just pour a little water user it and spread it around a bit and vacuum it back down. I also keep a little spray bottle that I bought at Walmart in the travel isle, that way I can spray a mist under there so it spreads more evenly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy43 View Post
    Yep. I leave it on the car, pop the edge of each sucker up and just pour a little water user it and spread it around a bit and vacuum it back down. I also keep a little spray bottle that I bought at Walmart in the travel isle, that way I can spray a mist under there so it spreads more evenly.
    Ohh okay thanks for the input, ill have to try that out.

mtbr member
    I have left mine on all day in the sun when i have been planning to ride straight after work, no issues at all. I just carry a chaimos with me whenever i use it just in case i need to take it off and put it back on.
    2014 Trek Slash 8
    2017 Trek Slash 9.9 RSL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MEfLAZIWAU-My Trail Dog

I'd rather be on my bike

Curious about how much of an angle the bike/rack sits at? I tried this setup on my 13 5.0 and it worried me about how much it leaned. I ended up running it backwards with the fork mount on the rear window. Can you take some head on and rear shots of it mounted?

PROEDGEBIKER.COM

All the suckers are UV Resistant, remember that SeaSucker got their start in the marine industry and are still heavily involved there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    two questions,
    Will these dent my roof at all?
    How would these go on a dual cab ute?
    thanks

I'd rather be on my bike
    There are no dents from the SeaSucker on my Mustang. I have been mounting the front to the rear windshield, and only have the rear wheel on the roof. I did run it the other way around, and again there was no denting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Any one has a review after a couple of years of use. How is it holding up, what about your car paint?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have had mine for about 4 months. I own 2 talon racks and they are used about 3-4 time a week. They work great. My roof makes some noise on my Sonata from the bikes moving up and down when I hit bumps. My only issue is that the pumps on the suction cups are already worn out...or broken. They make a weird popping noise and are hard to pump when Im pumping the air out of the suction cups. A few times I have found the white showing on the pump but the cups are still tightly on, which defeats the safety feature.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by tnert000 View Post
    I have had mine for about 4 months. I own 2 talon racks and they are used about 3-4 time a week. They work great. My roof makes some noise on my Sonata from the bikes moving up and down when I hit bumps. My only issue is that the pumps on the suction cups are already worn out...or broken. They make a weird popping noise and are hard to pump when Im pumping the air out of the suction cups. A few times I have found the white showing on the pump but the cups are still tightly on, which defeats the safety feature.
    Have you referred to your troubleshooting guide or done any maintenance on them? Sounds like your pumps are dirty.
    Here's the maintenance video: SeaSucker Maintenance: Cleaning - YouTube

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Been digging through this thread, lots of great feedback. My 29er barely fits in my hatchback compared to my roadie, and I don't want to deal with a fulltime roof rack.
    2005 FSR XC Comp
    2012 Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Recommendations

Sorry if the following has already be addressed/answered in the previous posts in this thread but I'm still reading through it and just thought I'd post my questions regarding advice from experienced users of the SeaSucker bike mounting system.

I recently purchased the SS Talon but like most first time users I love the design, simplicity of installation but remain somewhat skeptical of the system and the last thing I want is to shred my car's finish and destroy my bikes due to my improper use of the mounting system, thus I thought I'd ask for opinions/advice from other users;

1 - is it ok to use the SS on your car finish that has polish/wax or must you remove the polish/wax?

2 - do you need (or is it recommended) to spray the cups or the vehicle's surface with a light mist of clean water before installing the suction cups

3 - what about using the Tube Lube (oring / rubber lubricant SeaSucker includes with the rack system when you buy it); is it recommended to use it dry, with water, and do you just apply it to the edges of the suction cups or the entire surface of the suction cups? Instructions I received with my SS Talon did not elaborate on the use of water or the Tube lube lubricant.

Here is my set-up;
    Seasucker?-sl_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 88ICON View Post
    Sorry if the following has already be addressed/answered in the previous posts in this thread but I'm still reading through it and just thought I'd post my questions regarding advice from experienced users of the SeaSucker bike mounting system.

I recently purchased the SS Talon but like most first time users I love the design, simplicity of installation but remain somewhat skeptical of the system and the last thisng I want is to shred my car's finish and destroy my bikes due to my improper use of the mounting system, thus I thought I'd ask for opinions/advice from other users;

1 - is it ok to use the SS on your car finish that has polish/wax or must you remove the polish/wax?

2 - do you need (or is it recommended) to spray the cups or the vehicle's surface with a light mist of clean water before installing the suction cups

3 - what about using the Tube Lube (oring / rubber lubricant SeaSucker includes with the rack system when you buy it); is it recommended to use it dry, with water, and do you just apply it to the edges of the suction cups or the entire surface of the suction cups? Instructions I received with my SS Talon did not elaborate on the use of water or the Tube lube lubricant.

Here is my set-up;

Name:	SL_1.jpg 
Views:	3549 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	819421
    I think you will find that the talon isn't real picky and will stick to a fairly dirty car, I have stuck mine to my car covered in tree sap and it never lost any pressure from the cups. You can wax your car all you want won't affect it sticking. I usually wet the cups with a spray bottle all over the bottom side and will run my fingers around the seal lip to make sure it is wet and let it do its thing. As far as the lube that came with it, I have never serviced my talon after a year and a half and have had zero problems. Hope this helps.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    I think you will find that the talon isn't real picky and will stick to a fairly dirty car, I have stuck mine to my car covered in tree sap and it never lost any pressure from the cups. You can wax your car all you want won't affect it sticking. I usually wet the cups with a spray bottle all over the bottom side and will run my fingers around the seal lip to make sure it is wet and let it do its thing. As far as the lube that came with it, I have never serviced my talon after a year and a half and have had zero problems. Hope this helps.
    +1 on the 1,2 questions

IMHO Q3: I would contact SeaSucker for the official answer on this but its my opinion that the 5g LubeTube they include with the racks are to be used in the O-Ring when servicing the pumps, not to apply directly to the cups.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ProEdgeBiker View Post
    +1 on the 1,2 questions

IMHO Q3: I would contact SeaSucker for the official answer on this but its my opinion that the 5g LubeTube they include with the racks are to be used in the O-Ring when servicing the pumps, not to apply directly to the cups.
    Thanks for your input and your both correct. SS confirmed y/day that the lube is for maint. of the pump o-rings although they fail to inform via instructions that come with the Talon. Stated they will fix that.

I am now using my SS Talon, including a 60 mile RT yesterday where it worked fine. No issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Got this in an email from Seasucker. Valid till end of October.

To get 10% off, use this coupon code: GOCARDSOX759
    Or, if you spend more than $200, get 15% with this code: ANYONEBUTTHEYANKEES125

Master of the Obvious
    Still Loving my Seasucker Hornet, works in the snow too!

Seasucker?-carsnow.jpg
    Check out my Blog!

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by allroy71 View Post
    Got this in an email from Seasucker. Valid till end of October.

To get 10% off, use this coupon code: GOCARDSOX759
    Or, if you spend more than $200, get 15% with this code: ANYONEBUTTHEYANKEES125
    PEBYEAREND10 for 10% OFF on our site no matter what you spend + free overnight shipping.

Happy Holidaze!
    Last edited by ProEdgeBiker; 12-27-2013 at 12:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    PEBXMAS15 on our site no matter what you spend + free overnight shipping.

Happy Holidaze!
    Can't get the PEBXMAS15 code to work

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Case sensitive

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dolande View Post
    Any one has a review after a couple of years of use. How is it holding up, what about your car paint?
    I've had it for about a year now and have liked it for the most part. I like being able to put it on and take it off in a minute. I did have some problems with some of the pumps and had to send them back. A small plastic piece inside the plunger broke and the cups couldn't keep the pressure. Sent it back to Seasucker and they promptly sent new ones out. Also, it is very important to do the periodic maintenance. After a year, my working pumps wouldn't hold the pressure for long at all. After sitting outside for a few hours in my work parking lot (early morning ride), my bike actually fell off the back of my car and dented the hood in the process. I drive an older car so I wasn't that pissed, but if it was on my new truck, I would have been livid. MAKE SURE TO DO THE MAINTENANCE!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Has anyone tried to mount the ratcheting rear wheel strap to a flight deck?

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Its either or, The ladder wheelstrap is not to be used with a flight deck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

hello, i' from the UK and i wonder if'm the first one to have a seasucker in this country....

I've tried to look for answers but obviously no one can advice me in this side of the world.
    Can i just ask, sorry if this has been brought up before, what lateral support can we have for our bikes to prevent too much sideway movements while we are on the go.. cause i've noticed that the bikes tend to move sideways too much compared to other bike racks... and to be honest i'm worried. I do have a Talon and this is my worry....

I don't want to see my bike flying while driving at high speeds on highways...

Thanks in advance for your replies.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I bolted my ladder wheel strap to the flight deck and all seems fine. Any known issues in doing this?

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    I bolted my ladder wheel strap to the flight deck and all seems fine. Any known issues in doing this?
    I guess thats a way to go, did you drill holes on the FD in order to make this happen?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I guess thats a way to go, did you drill holes on the FD in order to make this happen?
    Yes I drilled holes making sure not to get near the strap slots so I wouldn't create any weak spots.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yes I drilled holes making sure not to get near the strap slots so I wouldn't create any weak spots.
    Here is a Pic of how i mounted the wheel ladder to the flightdeck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seasucker?-photo-4-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    This looks like a pretty nice option for my situation (which I won't bore you with)... but I have one concern:

How do I lock the bike to the car? I'll drive my car/racked bike to work, have the bike sitting on the car all day in a lot I can't see... but don't see any options on ProEdge's site for locking the bike to the car?

Seasucker on their site has a cable anchor for the window or trunk... does anyone trust and use this?

Is this the part that at one point someone in this thread cracked their window (rental car upthread)?

I'd rather be on my bike
    I wouldn't consider using this rack and trying to lock the bike to the car. That is not what this rack is meant for. Because the rack is only secured by vacuum cups, you would need to consider this completely removable. You could run a huge thick cable through the bike, and then open the windows and run it through the car, but even then, not really secure. I wouldn't lock my bike up at work on a car, even on a hitch rack if the car wasn't where I could see it. Can you just bring the bike in with you to work and leave it in an office or somewhere secure?
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 924.6/5000

mtbr member
    Seasucker?-shoes-crankset-058.jpgSeasucker?-shoes-crankset-054.jpgI think about the only way to secure your bike would be to run a cable thru the frame and then an open window. Not a concern because I wouldn't leave my bike unattended even in a locked car.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    This is the window anchor that seasucker sells:

This is how it'll work:

I'm not adverse to bringing my bike into work, as it's not that big a deal ... it's obviously more convenient locking the bike onto a rack/car. The parking lot isn't where I can see it, but it pretty much constantly has someone walking through it (town parking lot in smallish downtown). It would be brave and determined criminal to break the window, and load a bike+rack+chain into their vehicle to steal (not that they don't exist).

I still really like this rack, just curious if anyone uses the window anchor or anything else besides unloading bike/rack for theft prevention.

I'm kind of hoping ProEdgeRacer chimes in... as I don't think he sells this item. I'd like to hear why.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'd rather be on my bike
    A pair of cable cutters is all you need. Cut the cable, pop the cups off, smash the window, and not only do they steal your bike, but have the rack as well. Criminals break into cars for no reason, and here you almost give them the bike with the rack on the roof, because there is hardly any security on that setup.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextall View Post
    This is the window anchor that seasucker sells:

This is how it'll work:

I'm not adverse to bringing my bike into work, as it's not that big a deal ... it's obviously more convenient locking the bike onto a rack/car. The parking lot isn't where I can see it, but it pretty much constantly has someone walking through it (town parking lot in smallish downtown). It would be brave and determined criminal to break the window, and load a bike+rack+chain into their vehicle to steal (not that they don't exist).

I still really like this rack, just curious if anyone uses the window anchor or anything else besides unloading bike/rack for theft prevention.

I'm kind of hoping ProEdge<del>Racer</del>Biker chimes in... as I don't think he sells this item. I'd like to hear why.
    I do not carry them basically for the exact reasons you listed that "could" happen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I mount my bike across the rear window of my 2013 Honda Accord, so that my rear wheel is on the trunk deck. Instead of buying the piece that they sell to shut in your trunk I bought a heavy duty door hinge for three bucks and drilled out one of the screw holes to accommodate a padlock, I sprayed it with a few coates of plasti-dip. I run a 6 foot coated cable from it through the rear wheel and frame and put another padlock on the front qr on my talon. The round end where the hinge pin runs through just sits in the well around the trunk lid and the thin part sticks up though the gap between the trunk lid and body, works perfect. Plasti-dips prevents hinge from rusting or scratching the paint.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Can you post some pictures of that setup? Very interesting, and I fully approve the usage of Plasti-Dip.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Can you post some pictures of that setup? Very interesting, and I fully approve the usage of Plasti-Dip.
    for the past couple weeks i've been researching Plasti-Dip to black out my truck's wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Seasucker?-image.jpgSeasucker?-image.jpgSeasucker?-image.jpgSeasucker?-image.jpgSeasucker?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	871130Click image for larger version. 

Views:	162 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	871131Click image for larger version. 

Views:	119 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	871132Click image for larger version. 

Views:	182 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	871133Click image for larger version. 

Views:	201 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	871134
    Boy uploading from the iphone turns these pictures everyway but right side up. Sorry for the night pics, hope these give a good idea how it all works.

I'd rather be on my bike
    for the past couple weeks i've been researching Plasti-Dip to black out my truck's wheels.
    Do it.

The center panel and faux gas gap are dipped. It turned out well, and the removal is simple. Check out DipYourCar.com on YouTube for instructional videos and information.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Pretty Sick Sneak Preview:

mtbr member
    Those who use it regularly (like 3-5 times a week), do you just leave it mounted to the car?
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

I'd rather be on my bike
    If your car is parked in your garage at your house, yeah you could leave it. Anywhere else, and I would say hell no. They pop off the car in less than 3 seconds and are very mobile, making theft almost guaranteed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Those who use it regularly (like 3-5 times a week), do you just leave it mounted to the car?
    Since they go on and off so fast there's really no point in leaving it on. It goes on in less than five minutes. I usually put mine in the trunk while I'm riding and put it back on when I'm done and ready to leave. I rarely leave it on the car.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Just to give you an idea on how fast these racks go on & off your car watch these vids.

this is me taking my sweet arse time mounting a Mini-Bomber & 2 bikes.
    INSTALLING THE SEASUCKER MINI-BOMBER VACUUM BIKE RACK ( IN REAL TIME) - YouTube
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QryjEV4nbSY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this is me taking my sweet arse time taking off the bikes & the mini-bomber.
    TAKING OFF THE SEASUCKER MINI-BOMBER VACUUM BIKE RACK - YouTube
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sWM7v4GXFdE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ok, I have a new mini-bomber and I am confused about something. My friend and I have identical bikes and the first bike mounts perfectly (using the Seasucker 15mm mount) but the 2nd bike doesn't want to go on because the handlebars are in the same place on both bikes, so they are fighting for the same space. Anyone encounter this issue? It is weird. Seems like it's not wide enough?

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonium View Post
    Ok, I have a new mini-bomber and I am confused about something. My friend and I have identical bikes and the first bike mounts perfectly (using the Seasucker 15mm mount) but the 2nd bike doesn't want to go on because the handlebars are in the same place on both bikes, so they are fighting for the same space. Anyone encounter this issue? It is weird. Seems like it's not wide enough?
    My best guess is that you have both mounts configured the same, the 6 pre-drilled holes on the Mini-Bomber platform allows you to create a bunch of angle configurations so that doesnt happen.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkMKIV View Post

Nice

I'm taking mine on its maiden voyage today

mtbr member
    I would think that sideways mount on Mustang would be kinda unstable at speed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seasucker?-shoes-crankset-054.jpg  

Seasucker?-shoes-crankset-058.jpg  

I'd rather be on my bike
    It held on the highway at speed, but had me worried. I could not for the life of me get the suction on the roof no matter what I did. Never experienced that before in the times that I have used it, cold, rain, sun, heat, etc. Just that one time that I absolutely needed to use it, didn't work.

I like how the Supra and MR2 owners have mounted them, that is exactly how I would do it as well. I have found that the fork mount works much better when mounted to glass vs. the body of the car, like the roof or trunk.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I didnt ready all 11 pages but do you guys get funny looks from other drivers.

I think im gonna buy one, im not likeing my hitch setup on my Accord.
    2012 Scott Scale Expert
    2006 Orbea Orca

mtbr member

Re: Seasucker?

Quote Originally Posted by socalpete View Post

I used to get a lot of second looks, but I sold mine a couple days ago.

SwiftKey Flowed from my tiny Galaxy Note 3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by socalpete View Post

i've gotten thumbs up from others on the road but i never know if its for the car, rack or bike itself...lol. people have asked me about it in parking lots when im loading/unloading. people seem to like it and the idea behind it and i always give good feedback since i really like the product.

its a no brainer if you have more than one car and neither one of them is a truck!

Seasucker?-0e655a9e44f611e3ab1722000ab69985_8.jpg

Seasucker?-152ea23038d111e386b922000a9f14cd_8.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    people have taken pictures, and stopped to ask me about it.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I got a lot of looks as well. Not sure if it was the rack, the car, the driver, or the bike. haha I am pretty sure it was the rack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

New question here. Moon Roof mounting ok?

Thanks to this thread, I ended up buying the SeaSucker Mini Bomber from Amazon.

I still haven't figured out if it is ok to mount on the moon roof. I asked on amazon above and I had mixed answers.

PULL
    Now that a few of you guys have been running this setup for a good amount of time, would you guys buy this rack again? Any regrets? Anyone have problems with elevation gain, around 7K+?

I'm looking at the mini bomber setup on my BMW's glass sunroof but the idea of breaking my sunroof and visiting the dealer for a repair is making me cringe...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am selling my Talon for $240 shipped if anyone's interested. Still have the box and spares just like it would come from seasucker. Only selling to buy the Mini Bomber.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NoManerz View Post
    Now that a few of you guys have been running this setup for a good amount of time, would you guys buy this rack again? Any regrets? Anyone have problems with elevation gain, around 7K+?

I'm looking at the mini bomber setup on my BMW's glass sunroof but the idea of breaking my sunroof and visiting the dealer for a repair is making me cringe...
    I'm coming up on 2 years with my first Talon. No regrets, no problems and I would definitely buy it again. I bought a second one last year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I noticed no one here has a Hornet, unless it was on one of the couple pages I skipped.

Anyone have experience with one?

Master of the Obvious
    I have a Hornet, for over a year now. I love it. I have a review on my blog, click the link on my signature
    Check out my Blog!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    I have a Hornet, for over a year now. I love it. I have a review on my blog, click the link on my signature
    Thanks for the review. I am mainly asking because it would end up costing over 300 for fitment of a fat bike.

PULL
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp98 View Post
    I'm coming up on 2 years with my first Talon. No regrets, no problems and I would definitely buy it again. I bought a second one last year.
    Thanks for the reply! After my own research and your comment of 2 years looks like I'm going for a mini bomber, pretty stoked!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast