Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasucker?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It's pretty easy to talk bad about something you have never seen or used. I have no issues or 2nd thoughts now about putting my $6000 FSR on top of my $55k car or $50k truck. I used my $3000 carbon hardtail when I was testing the product out. I was a bit nervoius the 1st time I used it. even if something did happen; 1 you shouldn't live your life paralyzed by fear and 2 you should never own something you can not afford to replace.

My buddy had his Thule T2 rack fail at a trail and had to call me to pick him up with my sea sucker. His replacement then proceeded to fail again a few months later. Luckily I was there with my pickup and carted his bike home.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    It's pretty easy to talk bad about something you have never seen or used. I have no issues or 2nd thoughts now about putting my $6000 FSR on top of my $55k car or $50k truck. I used my $3000 carbon hardtail when I was testing the product out. I was a bit nervoius the 1st time I used it. even if something did happen; 1 you shouldn't live your life paralyzed by fear and 2 you should never own something you can not afford to replace.

My buddy had his Thule T2 rack fail at a trail and had to call me to pick him up with my sea sucker. His replacement then proceeded to fail again a few months later. Luckily I was there with my pickup and carted his bike home.
    +1

I have heard and seen some thule racks fail too. I personally have faith in the seasuckers just like I had faith in my thule racks, just happier that I only need one set of racks for all my cars. Working on getting the snowboard attachment on too. Pics coming soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Of course it is easy to talk about something I've not actually put my hands on. It's also pretty easy to understand something this simple and where it's problems lie. I'm not saying it's totally not a functional rack, I am just saying that it has a fairly significant catastrophic failure mode and it's dang expensive for what it provides. I also just don't put things that sit on the finish of my cars. I tend to have pretty nice cars and that seems to me to be false economy. Fixing a ding or paint is more than the cost of a rack in a hurry. That's all for me, but YMMV.

I do think it's an intriguing concept though.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Of course it is easy to talk about something I've not actually put my hands on. It's also pretty easy to understand something this simple and where it's problems lie. I'm not saying it's totally not a functional rack, I am just saying that it has a fairly significant catastrophic failure mode and it's dang expensive for what it provides. I also just don't put things that sit on the finish of my cars. I tend to have pretty nice cars and that seems to me to be false economy. Fixing a ding or paint is more than the cost of a rack in a hurry. That's all for me, but YMMV.

I do think it's an intriguing concept though.

J.
    The Thule has zero redundancy built in. When that arm fails, by by bike. The seasucker has 3 points of redundancy on the cheaper model and more on others. So the risk ratio is less with the seasucker. Over 1000 miles have been put on my rack and my paint is showroom fresh.

2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Yup. I got the mini bomber and it has 4 points of contact. Agree with the no scratches, My Thule racks eventually gave my cars scratches that I would have to compound out on all cars I have bought and sold. With seasuckers, 0 scratches. I trust these and like these more than thule or yakima racks. Plus, they also adapt to many other applications, like carrying my snowboards.

I like that I can mount wherever too.

mtbr member
    Also as for the argument that its expensive, I was in that same boat. But then did the math,

1 seasucker mini bomber (two bikes) $368 shipped. Add another fork mount to make it three $10. Total of $378 shipped.

full Thule rack with three bike trays (Cheapest Bike trays available) = $724.70

Ease of putting it on any other car, no problems= Priceless

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That snow board setup is awesome.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Yup. Love it. In the future I might buy a couple of extra 4" cups and not use the two from the wheels and 2 from the bomber. But since they replace at a discount if they do mess up, Im not too worried.

Master of the Obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post
    Yup. I got the mini bomber and it has 4 points of contact. Agree with the no scratches, My Thule racks eventually gave my cars scratches that I would have to compound out on all cars I have bought and sold. With seasuckers, 0 scratches. I trust these and like these more than thule or yakima racks. Plus, they also adapt to many other applications, like carrying my snowboards.

I like that I can mount wherever too.

Awesome I was wondering how well they faired in below freezing temps...
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    [QUOTE=irishpitbull;9071436]The Thule has zero redundancy built in. When that arm fails, by by bike. The seasucker has 3 points of redundancy on the cheaper model and more on others. So the risk ratio is less with the seasucker. Over 1000 miles have been put on my rack and my paint is showroom fresh.

I don't agree and won't buy one, but that's me. All that would have to happen is for a leak to develop in the pump/valve and the thing is going to let go. Damage to the bike and the car would make the rack price a total don't care. So, that rack's not for me, but as I said before, YMMV.

I drive my cars 200K+ miles and keep them in pristine shape the whole time (and they are top end cars). I don't put anything on the finish ever for any reason - period. End of story. That was a lesson learned the hard way.

1000 miles on a rack? That's nothing.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    [QUOTE=JohnJ80;9073369]
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    The Thule has zero redundancy built in. When that arm fails, by by bike. The seasucker has 3 points of redundancy on the cheaper model and more on others. So the risk ratio is less with the seasucker. Over 1000 miles have been put on my rack and my paint is showroom fresh.

I don't agree and won't buy one, but that's me. All that would have to happen is for a leak to develop in the pump/valve and the thing is going to let go. Damage to the bike and the car would make the rack price a total don't care. So, that rack's not for me, but as I said before, YMMV.

I drive my cars 200K+ miles and keep them in pristine shape the whole time (and they are top end cars). I don't put anything on the finish ever for any reason - period. End of story. That was a lesson learned the hard way.

1000 miles on a rack? That's nothing.

J.
    Its enought to know it out lasted 2 $750 Thule racks. Won't scratch my pricy sports car and I don't have ugly roof rack or hitch bolted to my car. Most importantly, it works and Your close minded.

If you would me to get into dynamic pressures compared to the suction rating I can. A bike weighing 30pounds has dynamic weight less than 119 pounds. Well under the 200lbs rating for one cup.

Edit: its more like 70lbs giving the bike 4ft of exposed frontal surface at sea level doing 88fps(60mph) not taking turbulance into account.
    Last edited by irishpitbull; 03-06-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    We're talking about failure modes here. If the cup or pump fails the holding power is zero. The case where everything works right all the time on every part is not the point (nor realistic).

If you like your rack - great. I'm not buying one and I think it's a problem (who actually cares either way). Is this a great country or what?

J.

mtbr member
    Good thing there 4 different points to fail, not just one like you make it seem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    if the rear cup holding the wheel fails, what happens when you brake hard such as in an emergency stop especially if not straight? That would constitute a single point of failure. The bike would not remain on the rack in the position in which it was initially placed on the car.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    if the rear cup holding the wheel fails, what happens when you brake hard such as in an emergency stop especially if not straight? That would constitute a single point of failure. The bike would not remain on the rack in the position in which it was initially placed on the car.

J.
    Yet the bike is still upright and there is no damage done. And that is failure? Come on dude your case is weak.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member

J.
    In that case then if the rear wheel strap of my bigmouth fails im screwed also. And I know that thing also gets worn out. Seriously I know people have their preferences but your arguments are almost invalid when compared side by side. Anything can really fail but really you hope and trust they wont.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    @cman8 Clever way to get the snowboard rack onto the Seasucker cups. Did you have to do any drilling? And you are using two rear tire mounts too?

mtbr member
    No drilling. Just went and bought 4 - 2 1/2"x1/4" Machine Screws. I used the two rear wheel straps and took two off the mini bomber. In a pinch I can still hook up the mini bomber if needed with 2 more outside cups.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post
    In that case then if the rear wheel strap of my bigmouth fails im screwed also. And I know that thing also gets worn out. Seriously I know people have their preferences but your arguments are almost invalid when compared side by side. Anything can really fail but really you hope and trust they wont.
    I guess I'd rather place my faith in hardware than in a vacuum pump that can have a seal leak at any time. But that's me.

J.

mtbr member
    you mean the hardware that works on the principle of tension that can fail just the same? (Although not very likely) I dont say I dont trust the mechanical racks, but the case you do make against the suckers is very weak. Believe me if there is a bad seal you will know right away.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If, for example, a seal in the pump fails when it's on then you'll have a catastrophic failure. Generally, with more traditional racks there is more redundancy.

But, like I said, if you want to use one - great. I'm not going to. Nice to have choices.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    @johnj80 I agree that it is possible that one seal can fail, but the possibility of all failing simultaneously is pretty low. If you believe the specs, each one can hold 200lbs of force. All of the racks have at least 3 points of contact in the front, giving you about 600lbs. Lose one, down to 400lb. That seems like redundancy to me. Add the one suction to the rear too.
    And I agree, it is nice to have choice in the marketplace. For some people, this is the ideal rack. I use mine when my wife won't let me keep the bike in the trunk!!

Actually, I think this rack could save oil!! Really!! Most roof racks create drag and if you only ride a few days a week, then you are losing some MPGs. I think my car lost about 3mpg with my roof rack and that is without a bike attached. The Seasuckers come off the car easily, negating this problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Do the math on the savings in miles per gallon with a rack on and off. This isn't an issue.

J.

mtbr member
    This is why I love this rack. Just got another car and guess what? I can still use my rack without any cutting of my bars or fit kits to buy. Up in 3 minutes. Held on all day and went on a 75MPH freeway ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well I did the calculations below. This is the gas savings I would get if I didn't drive around with my old Yakima bike rack.

My car gets about 30mpg on freeway driving. In this scenario, I am mainly freeway driving. More speed, more wind resistance. Anyways, leave my Yakima rack on without a bike, I am getting 27mpg.

My tank is about 14 gallons.

No rack. 30x14=420 miles on one tank.
    With rack and no bike 27x14=378 miles on one tank.

420-378=42 mile difference. I am losing over one gallon of gas for every tank, which is about $4.35. Not horrible, but not energy efficient.
    Now if I stuck to city traffic, my savings would probably be less. But I am pretty sure I would lose about 1-2mpg.

Just one of the benefits of using a removable rack.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast