Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasucker?

mtbr member
    I'm on the verge of buying the mini bomber - has anyone regretted their switch to Seasucker racks?

Yakima is just too pricey honestly. It will cost me just over $700 for the rack with two bike carriers for my car.

Ideally Id go with a hitch, but that isn't an option either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I originally was looking for a nice Thule rack, but as strange as it sounds, they don't make a rack for my car!

That's why I was turned on to the SeaSucker. Price is definitely putting me off at the moment. Does anyone know if there is a similar product by another company?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great customer service

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I don't think anyone else makes a similar product. But you never know with overseas markets!!

But price is probably pretty close. But of course with a roof rack, you can add other attachments for other sports/luggage.

On REI, bars $80, towers $170 and up, one bike attachment $99 and up, locks for four towers about $50.

So a regular roof rack isn't cheap either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just put a deposit on a 2012 Hyundai Veloster with panoramic sunroof, and using the Yakima kit renders the sunroof unusable. This is probably the only way to roof-rack my bikes and still use the sunroof (by removing the seasuckers when the rack is not in use). Traildawg, as others mentioned the Killer App would be to have attachments for Thule or Yakima crossbars to enable carrying kayaks, skis, luggage boxes, etc. I guarantee you would sell a TON of those!!!! Any update on availability of such? I'll be your beta tester ;-)

mtbr member
    Hey Puzman - I bought my Veloster about two months ago now. That was the main reason I posted in this thread.

Hyundai is in the process of making a hatch mounted bike rack, so I think I am going to hold off until the Spring to see if it comes out. If you are in a hurry though I have heard the Yakima rack will work with the sunroof.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzman View Post
    I just put a deposit on a 2012 Hyundai Veloster with panoramic sunroof, and using the Yakima kit renders the sunroof unusable. This is probably the only way to roof-rack my bikes and still use the sunroof (by removing the seasuckers when the rack is not in use). Traildawg, as others mentioned the Killer App would be to have attachments for Thule or Yakima crossbars to enable carrying kayaks, skis, luggage boxes, etc. I guarantee you would sell a TON of those!!!! Any update on availability of such? I'll be your beta tester ;-)
    Sunroofs are overrated.

I''d be cautious about mounting the rack so that the load sits on the sunroof (if that's what you're thinking). Glass doesn't do well when shock loaded repeatedly. Neither do sunroof opening mechanisms.

j.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey JD,

Thanks, I'll probably use my old Saris Bones through the winter, and see what options are available in the spring. Ideally I'd like a rack system that'd work for both bikes and kayaks. Where did you hear about the rack Hyundai is making? Any more details about that? And how are you liking your Veloster?

Finally stateside again
    zo i a really looking into one of theses racks seeing as how they don't make a rack for my car but... will these racks work with a bike that has a maxale or a 20mm thru axle front fork. seeing as how one of my bikes that i transport the most and the one that doesn't fit in my car with out taking apart is my dh bike this is why i need a rack. any info would be awesome

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    zo i a really looking into one of theses racks seeing as how they don't make a rack for my car but... will these racks work with a bike that has a maxale or a 20mm thru axle front fork. seeing as how one of my bikes that i transport the most and the one that doesn't fit in my car with out taking apart is my dh bike this is why i need a rack. any info would be awesome
    Fork Up 20mm Adapter - SeaSucker
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Personally, I would steer clear of these guys until its clear if they will survive or not. I sent an email to them asking some questions 3 or 4 days ago, and so far I have gotten no response. If they can't answer product questions from interested buyers in a timely manner, I would hate to try to get a response on warranty issues.

It's a shame too, the product seems like a great idea, but the organization and distribution structure just doesn't seem ready for prime time. I live in the DFW metro, which is the 4th largest metro behind NY, LA, and Chicago. Of the 10 "nearest" distributors, the closest was over 500 miles away. Of those, I think only 4 even had websites, and of them, I think only 2 allowed online ordering. I am willing to bet that the 10 "nearest" distributors are the ONLY distributors.

Again, not trying to be a jerk, it's a promising product, but the operation needs work, IMO. Which to me is an issue if I am gonna drop $300 on their product.
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 01-27-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    Personally, I would steer clear of these guys until its clear if they will survive or not. I sent an email to them asking some questions 3 or 4 days ago, and so far I have gotten no response. If they can't answer product questions from interested buyers in a timely manner, I would hate to try to get a response on warranty issues.
    Plenty of companies have an online only presence and are very successful. Having a limited distribution system isn't an issue. They've been around in the boat market for a while. For me the only problem is the material choice for the suction cups. It's too easily damaged. they could do better with higher quality rubber. The lip dents too easily and doesn't reform. So you have to store them quickly. Otherwise the quality is ok.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Call them, their sales reps are awesome people to talk to. I own sea sucker and love the product.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dovecom View Post
    Plenty of companies have an online only presence and are very successful. Having a limited distribution system isn't an issue. They've been around in the boat market for a while. For me the only problem is the material choice for the suction cups. It's too easily damaged. they could do better with higher quality rubber. The lip dents too easily and doesn't reform. So you have to store them quickly. Otherwise the quality is ok.
    Online only is fine, unless they don't answer emails. Then it's a huge problem. Still have not heard back from them, almost a week now.
    Mind your own religion.

Afric Pepperbird
    They look nice, and I'm sure the vacuum works very well. But I, too, shied away from them, and bought a 1up rack instead.

I sent an email to them asking 1) when would their NW sales rep. be in Oregon, so I could see a Seasucker system in person; and 2) why only a one year warranty?

The guy who responded did not even answer the second question, and he said he had not "talked to his Northwest sales rep. in quite awhile". These raised some red flags for me.

But again, I'd trust a Seasucker with my bikes any day, or at least the physics behind them. When I see more well-established bike shops carrying them (and when they get a better securing/locking mechanism), I may re-visit them.

mtbr member
    i just want a snowboard attachment
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Just got the mini bomber for 368 free shipping. Will give my thoughts when I receive it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    Online only is fine, unless they don't answer emails. Then it's a huge problem. Still have not heard back from them, almost a week now.
    Try one of these:

1-941-586-2664

Signature

mtbr member
    Got them. First glance, I like em. Put them right on, took like 5 minutes and now on to testing vacuum. Leaving them on see how long they last without showing orange. Definitely think they look sweet though, and I like that I can mount them however. Now I can enter my garage without having to unload the bikes first. Im gonna work on a modify for a stap for the rear wheel strap because that velcro is kinda weak. Very excited to try em out and hope they are as good as people say.

mtbr member
    cman8: Keep us posted. I am only looking at the Talon, but would like as much feedback as possible about SeaSucker's components before I invest in the rack.

mtbr member
    Left them on all night and No Vacuum loss on 5 out of the 6 cups. The one that lost some vacuum was on the fork part so I wouldnt be worried about that since even if one fails there are 3 more to support the weight. Its serious when people say that the only way these are coming off is if your roof is coming off. I lifted the rear wheel strap with all I had and the trunk started to bend up. I was literally lifting on the car. It would be cool to have an old junker to test these on and lift with a forklift to see them lift the car up.

Will keep posting as I have more experiences and pictures.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I guess the issue is if there is a loss due to leak - dirt underneath or pump or cup failure. Then all that holding force could disappear instantly. That's my worry about these - other than that it looks interesting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I guess the issue is if there is a loss due to leak - dirt underneath or pump or cup failure. Then all that holding force could disappear instantly. That's my worry about these - other than that it looks interesting.
    The chances of all 3 cups leaking are about zero. One cup can hold 200lbs.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I wouldn't worry much about the cups leaking. There is redundancy in the system. I have only lost pressure in one cup, when going from sea level to 8000 ft. But the orange line was just barely showing. Just keep an eye on the rack, like any other rack, roof, trunk or hitch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    The chances of all 3 cups leaking are about zero. One cup can hold 200lbs.
    Sure. I get that. But a leaking cup can hold zero lbs (which is the point).

But that's also presuming that the failure is not a design or manufacturing flaw that could impact all holding parts. These sorts of things do occur in production runs all the time (ask me about my Sears water softener sometime...). This is not a fail safe rack, it's a fail potentially catastrophic rack. If the read suction cup comes loose, the bike can snap around to the front in hard braking damaging both the car and the bike (for example).

It's an interesting idea, but it's expensive and it is not foolproof as they might have you believe. I think it has promise but I'm not thinking I want to trust it with $5000 worth of bicycles either. I'd prefer something a little more less transiently attached to the car.

J.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast