Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasucker?

addicted to chunk
    That is a pretty nifty idea I gotta say. First thoughts were I dunno if I'd trust it, then you see the pics of guys hanging off them.

Quote Originally Posted by vaelin

Billet aluminum, powder coating, that's all well and good, but as many Yakima and Thule rack owners can probably attest to, there's no need.
    I dunno, I've seen a decent amount of T2 racks that were terribly rusted.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I learned about this rack yesterday from a salesman at Performance Bike in Boise. My girlfriend is looking for a bike rack for her Hyundai and is having a difficult time finding one that fits her car due to a spoiler mounted at the top of the rear hatchback. I found this thread through google while trying to find a place that sells the Sea Sucker. Anyone know hoe much they cost and where to buy one? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The problem is if you get a failure in the check valve or the suction cup, the failure becomes catastrophic in terms of rack functionality.

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    John, The smallest bike rack Seasucker makes has 3 cups. These cups can hold 200lbs each so a little math and thats 600lbs of holding strength. A 40lb bike is plenty safe even after leaving loosing 2 cups. I invite you to look at one of the units and then make a conclusion.
    2009 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70, 2008 Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC, SeaSucker Bike Rack Systems

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Really cool video on a Seasucker Bike Rack on a race car.

http://youtu.be/_41Ujjv6WUw
    2009 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70, 2008 Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC, SeaSucker Bike Rack Systems

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

CR-Z Sea Sucka

Have to say rack looks really cool, did the upgrade to the delta skewer
    first ride today, so quick to put on and take off....will take it on the freeway today
    I had the Yakima roof rack, it works great but i actually loss about 5mpg with the rack
    Also detailing the car was a hassle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seasucker?-seasucka1.jpg  

Seasucker?-184617_10150188109797519_584802518_8891776_2597847_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    OK, so serious question. How do these do in cold? Are the cups going to get rigid in freezing/near-freezing temps? I get nervous relying on rubber/plastics as it gets colder.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Traildawg
    John, The smallest bike rack Seasucker makes has 3 cups. These cups can hold 200lbs each so a little math and thats 600lbs of holding strength. A 40lb bike is plenty safe even after leaving loosing 2 cups. I invite you to look at one of the units and then make a conclusion.
    except for the rear wheel hold down. Would be catastropic if the bike were mounted back tire front. If it were the other way around, would get pretty dice in braking or cornering.

Other than that, I see your point and agree with it.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate
    OK, so serious question. How do these do in cold? Are the cups going to get rigid in freezing/near-freezing temps? I get nervous relying on rubber/plastics as it gets colder.
    Be also interesting to see about any testing done in altitude or air pressure changes. for example driving up into the mountains from the flat lands.

J.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    today was first ride with the rack...did a little praying before getting on the expressway
    75mph no problem
    Rain? no problem
    i did see my back wheel moving a litle (shadows)
    i will try tomorrow with bike facing fw

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've had my Sea Sucker "Bomber" for few months and I love it! I got it for its flexibility of use on various vehicles. As a New Product Rep for Ford, I receive a new vehicle every few months........and when I'm on the road, I like bringing my bike with me. The fact that I can use it on all four of my cars and friends is great. I've taking several trips that have been 160-220 miles at 80-90 mph and the rack has held without an issue. My suggestion prior to first use is, a thorough wash of the vehicle and make sure use a clay bar prior to waxing to insure a smooth surface for the suction cups. After that, I just make sure I have a dust free surface prior to install.

On one of my dailys

And two on my current "new product" pre production 2012 Focus

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So, how much tolerance for dirt is there?

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I would say if the surface has light dust ii can hold but I carry a towel with me and I just wipe the surface after my ride. Its not that much of a deal, most people take off their jersey after a ride and can simply just use it. But that's my take on it.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Uk

Hi, Im after Sea Sucker in the UK, any ideas where? and cost?

Cheers

David

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
    I've not seen any scratching yet, but I clean both surfaces before installation. I'm going to put down 3M film as a preventative. The mounts work great so far, I also use it in an enclosed trailer mounted to the interior wall.

It's been tested on this car well above the speed limit. The only issue so far is that if I hit a deep pothole the rear wheel mount will "pop" the sheetmetal roof if the strap is not set w/o play, so I now mount rear wheel tightly so it can't bounce and nearer to the edge for support.
    Man... as a past owner of a few Mcars that wheel mount popping the roofs sheet metal makes me cringe. Good information though, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by markham_guy View Post
    first ride today, so quick to put on and take off....will take it on the freeway today
    I had the Yakima roof rack, it works great but i actually loss about 5mpg with the rack
    Thanks for posting the pic. I also have a CR-Z and this was the deciding factor for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Do you Seasucker owners take the rack off the car when you get to the trailhead?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I sure as hell do, they are very easy to remove and steal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I was hoping they were a little chaeaper too. I wanted to get one so I could put my sons bike and my bike on the back of my wifes' SUV for our vacation to GA this summer. Just a little too pricey for a spare bike carrier for me. OH well, they are pretty cool product.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My 1st experience with my Seasucker rack was impressive.

some pics with silly captions and pics by my wife!!
    https://picasaweb.google.com/jaykwee...eat=directlink

I took my Seasucker rack out for the first time. I usually keep my bike in the back of my Golf hatchback. Safer for bike, better gas mileage, and no need to lock it when I go into Del Taco!
    For this trip used wife's car and drove up to Big Bear (mountain road about 7000ft) with max speed about 75mph. Got about 36mpg, lost maybe 1 mpg to rack with bike. Not bad.
    I attached it to the rear of my wife's car to avoid sticking the rack onto the sunroof. It would probably be okay there, but I opted not too. Also, it was reassuring to see the rear wheel in the window.
    I bought this rack for very occasional use. Basically, I plan to use when traveling with two bikes or when I go on short road trips where trunk space is used.

I think some pressure was lost as we went from sea level up. One of four indicators had about 1 mm of orange indicator showing, the other 3 looked good.
    I never heard any pinging when hitting bumps.
    I wish I had gotten the Delta adapter. It was a bit annoying to have to hold the bike with one hand and loosen/tighten the nut with the other. Then close the quick release skewer.
    It comes with orange covers to protect the suckers rubber from nicks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

So-so Suckers

I have the Talon, and my experience has been mixed. I've used suction cup systems for camera work, so I knew they'd be strong enough. When it works it works well, easily holding whatever bike I want to the roof of my 2012 Focus. It's strong enough to hold the bike on while you drive under a 'CLEARANCE 7' sign that shatters your carbon-railed seat (don't ask me how I know). Unfortunately, the rack only works occasionally. In 5 attempts, it has worked 3 times. The plunger failed on the 2nd attempt, and one of the cups has developed a deformation (while in its protective cover) that prevents it from working on attempt 5. Seasucker have been pleasant enough to deal with, I just don't think the product is well made. Compared to the film industry products I use, made in the USA of real rubber and aluminum, it is total crap, AND more expensive. I'm waiting to see if the cup reforms or they end me a new one. The idea is terrific. The implementation is poor. As for price, 6" complete suction cup (cup, cover, plunger, mount) retail for $50 for good ones. $15 for a fork hold down. Total cost for a Talon wholesale would be about $130-ish including assembly, so figure double for retail price and you have the $260 asking price. You could make yourself a really nice rack if you know someone who can cut HDPE plastic. If you want to see what they SHOULD be using for suction, look on FILMTOOLS website.

mtbr member extraordinair
    I assume these things need a clean smooth surface to stick to?

I am looking for a way to mount bikes to the top of a camper without drilling through the roof. However the surface is a painted metal bumpy "orange peel" type texture. Would these things hold on to something like that?
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    glass or clean sheet. Textured surfaces won't work because the edges won't seal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    used them a lot on boats, great product!!

Master of the Obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by markham_guy View Post
    Awesome I too have a CR-Z and I am definitely heading the seasucker direction....
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast