Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18

Thread: Seasucker?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have mine toward the back and their is no noticeable wind noise.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I ran mine completely backwards, as it was the most stable set up for the car/bike combo. I didn't notice much noise at all.

The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 204/5000

mtbr member

Seasucker?

Ran mine backwards the other day and it was silent. Thanks for the advice.

FWIW, the instructions explicitly state not to run it backwards.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am not sure why they would say that. Maybe ProEdgeBiker can chime in here since he has quite a bit of experience with this rack.

mtbr member

Seasucker?

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I am not sure why they would say that. Maybe ProEdgeBiker can chime in here since he has quite a bit of experience with this rack.
    It's definitely in the instructions not to do that but like you I know quiet a few people that run their racks backwards because they don't have another option. Even on the SS site they have a pick of the MB running 1 bike backwards: 3 bike mini-bomber seasucker bike rack | SeaSucker

I'd rather be on my bike
    With my car, that really was the only option for me. I have seen pictures of similar year Mustangs with bikes facing forward, but that didn't seem to work. I could never get the front mount to be stable up on the roof. I figured that it was far more stable on the rear glass with a flatter surface to mount to. Never had any issues with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I mounted mine on my mustang forward(two cups on the roof and one on the glass) . I had to mount it close to the door and not the center of the roof. it would pop the roof in and out when it was centered.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I tried that as well, and the angle that it sat at made me very nervous. The center is absolutely no good, any bump and it feels like the whole thing will just pop right off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Seasucker Hornet - Detroit to Kansas City: 750 miles, 11 hours, 0 issues (flags removed for picture).

Seasucker?-wp_20140801_09_48_45_pro.jpg
    2014 Scott Spark 940
    2014 Focus Mares CX
    2010 Scott Speedster S40
    2009 Scott Aspect 55

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    How would this work mounting up a 40lb Fat Bike? Talon or would that Hornet work? I need an option.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpcgamer View Post
    How would this work mounting up a 40lb Fat Bike? Talon or would that Hornet work? I need an option.
    Hornet would work if you have a car that asked for it like the one above.
    Talon would also work but you'd have to buy your own fork mount. If you like, i can sell you one without the fork mount but you'd have to buy your own that is made for the Fat Bike fork like this one: Kuat The Dirtbag 9 Rack - at Moosejaw.com

Let me know if you're interested in either or you can just use the coupon code in my sig.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone can explain me the metod to install 15mm axle bike in my seasucker talon. I purchase the 15mm thrue Axle adaptor for the rack in proedgebiker. When the package arrive I installed with the instruccion. But today when i going to pickup my bike in my local shop my fork match with the adaptor but the axle to secure the fork in the adapter is not to long to catch the complete fork and i don't know how i can install my bike in my seasucker with 15mm thrue axle fork mount. The only way is with the original 15mm axle that coming in my bike. But I don't know it is the right metod to secure my bike in the rack. With the factory axle the fork secure a little bit but when the car is in movement the bike move when i have any brake or curve in my street. I think the axle is not complete secure the fork and the bike is in risk.

mtbr member

Seasucker?

Quote Originally Posted by R0lan View Post
    Anyone can explain me the metod to install 15mm axle bike in my seasucker talon. I purchase the 15mm thrue Axle adaptor for the rack in proedgebiker. When the package arrive I installed with the instruccion. But today when i going to pickup my bike in my local shop my fork match with the adaptor but the axle to secure the fork in the adapter is not to long to catch the complete fork and i don't know how i can install my bike in my seasucker with 15mm thrue axle fork mount. The only way is with the original 15mm axle that coming in my bike. But I don't know it is the right metod to secure my bike in the rack. With the factory axle the fork secure a little bit but when the car is in movement the bike move when i have any brake or curve in my street. I think the axle is not complete secure the fork and the bike is in risk.
    Use the axle that holds the wheel on your bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ok thank you mestapho

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I tried that as well, and the angle that it sat at made me very nervous. The center is absolutely no good, any bump and it feels like the whole thing will just pop right off.
    Mine leans a few degrees but it been fine. even into triple digits and around high speed on ramps.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by R0lan View Post
    R0lan, we don't sell any 15mm adaptors. We do however sell the SeaSucker 15mm Mounts.
    If I can understand what you're typing, then YES, you are supposed to use the axle that came with your fork in order to secure to any 15mm fork mount since the axle is not included with the mounts. (except for the 9mm delta)
    And dont worry, your bike will not go anywhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    ProEdgeBiker you have PM

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Rear Mount DIY concave housing

My velcro strap on the rear mount was starting to wear out. I considered the Concave housing but getting to Atlantic Canada would be over $50 with exchange and shipping so I made one myself.
    - I used some old Snowboard binding straps and then fashioned a mould for the tire using a 50 / 50 mix of corn starch and pure silicone (it starts out as a mess but quickly becomes a mouldable rubber like material).

Works great!

Name:  IMG_1970.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  34.0 KBName:  image1.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  33.7 KBName:  finished 3.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  40.3 KBName:  finished 1.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  23.4 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I have read through nearly every page of this forum, and there is a great amount of feedback and reviews that are making my decision to purchase the sea suckers (and not feel like a sucker after I try them).

My question is, does anyone own the paddleboard/kayack rack that comes with several 6in mounts. Can they be re-purposed for bike rack mounting? How flexible are packages from converting one to the other? I would like something that I can switch out pieces to transport snowboards, surfboards, SUPS, kayacks, bikes, and... possible a very low load cargo carrier? I have a thule cargo carrier that is about 30in wide, so the Kayack mount should allow for it to mount correctly (telescoping to 44"). Does anyone have any experience with this?

I love the potential for versatility, and given the new 2015 subaru WRX's do not come with factory roof mounts, this seems to be the best option. I just don't know how developed the adaptors and mods are outside of biking.

Sorry if this is a thread hijack, I really do see the value in the product for the bikes as demostrated by 18 previous pages. I just was wondering if others have been able to use these for other hobbies/toys/utilities.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    they're actually pretty straightforward things. the vacuum cups each have a threaded insert for a 1/4 20 bolt, and various stuff is attached that way or by how the pump is attached to the cup. zoom in on the pictures on their web site and you can see that.

some of the things look to be custom made by then, but some of their parts look to be sourced elsewhere. so if you can figure out how to mount, say, a delta fork mount to the SUP rack, you've got it made. (note that they use 3 cups on their roof racks, not 2... they have a big warning about not using the falcon on a roof) otherwise, you might be able to buy the parts and move stuff around by unbolting/rebolting it.

that's how i made my ski rack--made some spacers and got hardware from the hardware store and repurposed the bike rack cups and an old thule ski holder. but i don't think i'd want to be unbolting/rebolting multiple times a year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks mbmtb for your feedback, I looked through your recent threads but couldn't find any pictures of your custom ski rack. I apologize in advance if I didn't look closely enough, but do you have anything like that posted. I am certainly interested.

The package for the kayak mount quotes "The front bar has two SeaSuckers on each side, and the back has one SeaSucker on each side". Then one additional, which I would likely want to be placed in the middle of the back rack, although I would have to fabricate some sort of bracket to hold the back bar based on just the description.

From what I can take from the pictures, I would also have to make my own version of the coupler, similar to the talon, if i wanted to repurpose the cups for bike mounting. What I don't know, is if they could sell these "parts" without each package sold separately, and whether they were interchangeable. I don't mind, bolting and rebolting for different applications, as they wouldn't be on the fly or without notice. But looking at the versatility of other roof rack mounts, I was hoping that the community might have some experience with the interchangeability if they had a couple other toys outside of bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    i suspect they'll sell you whatever parts you want. contact proedgebiker here (who does retail) or seasucker directly.
    i just put a photo on the photo thread.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18