Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasucker?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Box came yesterday, fully assembled I might add. I saw a "how to assemble" video on you tube so I assumed I would have to put it together. It was the newer version with locking skewers and black suction cups. I flipped through the directions to make sure I wasn't missing anything and quickly installed it. There is a lot of curvature on the top of my car...more than I expected, but it didn't seem to slow down the seasucker. I was afraid the crankset would spin and a pedal would hit the roof of my car, so I ran a velco strap around the crank arm and the rear stay just to be safe. I didn't want to start my big adventure tomorrow without testing it, so I made a quick test drive down the street: 1 mile up the freeway and then back home, all was good. With more courage, I took another spin: A 45 mile, 75mph drive down the hwy.... no issues. I parked the car, just woke up 9 hrs later to get ready for my trip, to see that the cups have not lost any suction? Wow, either these cups are incredible, the Zaino wax I use on my paint has it very smooth, or both. Either way, impressive suction! Time to back the car out of the garage, lock the bikes down and head out on the official big adventure....my confidence is high. I will report back after the trip.

Pardon the poor cell phone pictures

Laughable Man...haaaa
    Oh my...

I just had a private moment that included my iPad, a quiet dark room, a candle, some music, and that first pic of your rig.

Very nice toys indeed.

Still waiting on the mount. Supposed to have arrived Friday (FedEx issue?) but Monday when I'm back in town will have to suffice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I see you rolled your way into the Semi's...Dios Mio Man...

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by Durango65 View Post
    Oh my...

I just had a private moment that included my iPad, a quiet dark room, a candle, some music, and that first pic of your rig.

Very nice toys indeed.

Still waiting on the mount. Supposed to have arrived Friday (FedEx issue?) but Monday when I'm back in town will have to suffice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Ditto... That GTR is SICK!

Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    May 2012

window anchor

Quote Originally Posted by ProEdgeBiker View Post
    You're not talking bad about our products, like I stated before, we dont sell or even bother carrying the locking systems so I cant speak for or about them.
    I checked my records. I did purchase the "cable anchor-window" from seasucker. Sku BA0010

I emailed customer support, and no reply. Love the bike rack, dislike the window anchor. A great deal!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seasucker?-img_20120901_174220.jpg  

mtbr member
    How did you get black cups? Those look nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The journey yesterday was great. Backed the car out of the garage, put the bikes on, and headed out. 2:10 mins each way. Of which, 90% of the trip was with the cruise set at 75mph. I stopped once on the way down, just for peace of mind, and none of the suckers had lost anything. As if driving the paparazzi machine didnít elicit enough cell phone pictures or videos, slap a couple P4ís on it and people really give you funny looks. I found the Safeway parking lot at the bottom of the big hill, unloaded both bikes, pulled the rack off and put it in the trunk. After the ride, I put the rack back on the car along with both bikes (all of 5 minutes and most that time is because I triple check everything and make sure the bikes are perfectly lined up). I filled up with gas, and headed back home for that last leg. After getting home, I pulled it all off and admired the smashed bugs all over my car. There were little sucker rings on the top of my car, so I ran a diaper and wiped them off.
    So, I drove with absolutely no issues, it never lost vacuum, and it left nothing on my car. There was no denting of sheet metal, no micro scratches, no smashed bikes on the groundÖ There were a couple car passes that reached about 85mph, but I never went over that speed for more than about 15 seconds.
    Anyone who needs a great alternative to a traditional rack, this is it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller909 View Post
    The journey yesterday was great. Backed the car out of the garage, put the bikes on, and headed out. 2:10 mins each way. Of which, 90% of the trip was with the cruise set at 75mph. I stopped once on the way down, just for peace of mind, and none of the suckers had lost anything. As if driving the paparazzi machine didnít elicit enough cell phone pictures or videos, slap a couple P4ís on it and people really give you funny looks. I found the Safeway parking lot at the bottom of the big hill, unloaded both bikes, pulled the rack off and put it in the trunk. After the ride, I put the rack back on the car along with both bikes (all of 5 minutes and most that time is because I triple check everything and make sure the bikes are perfectly lined up). I filled up with gas, and headed back home for that last leg. After getting home, I pulled it all off and admired the smashed bugs all over my car. There were little sucker rings on the top of my car, so I ran a diaper and wiped them off.
    So, I drove with absolutely no issues, it never lost vacuum, and it left nothing on my car. There was no denting of sheet metal, no micro scratches, no smashed bikes on the groundÖ There were a couple car passes that reached about 85mph, but I never went over that speed for more than about 15 seconds.
    Anyone who needs a great alternative to a traditional rack, this is it.
    Awesome! Yeah man I was hesitant at first and I'm pretty sure EVERYONE on here was too but once you feel just how secure and tight those things get, you'll be sold in no time. I love telling everyone about them, how you can load two bikes on the top of a small coupe and still keep its lines when nothing is mounted. I loaded my bike up today and rode alone this afternoon, worked great on my (dirty) BMW 135i. And yes, some of the new black vacuum cups would be nice.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seasucker?-img_9572.jpg  

VacuRack.com
    Sep 2012

Have you seen the VacuRack?

Quote Originally Posted by Puzman View Post
    I just put a deposit on a 2012 Hyundai Veloster with panoramic sunroof, and using the Yakima kit renders the sunroof unusable. This is probably the only way to roof-rack my bikes and still use the sunroof (by removing the seasuckers when the rack is not in use). Traildawg, as others mentioned the Killer App would be to have attachments for Thule or Yakima crossbars to enable carrying kayaks, skis, luggage boxes, etc. I guarantee you would sell a TON of those!!!! Any update on availability of such? I'll be your beta tester ;-)
    VacuRack is compatable with nearly any round bar accessory. I've had up to 4 kayaks on at one time.

Finally stateside again
    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller909 View Post
    Box came yesterday, fully assembled I might add. I saw a "how to assemble" video on you tube so I assumed I would have to put it together. It was the newer version with locking skewers and black suction cups. I flipped through the directions to make sure I wasn't missing anything and quickly installed it. There is a lot of curvature on the top of my car...more than I expected, but it didn't seem to slow down the seasucker. I was afraid the crankset would spin and a pedal would hit the roof of my car, so I ran a velco strap around the crank arm and the rear stay just to be safe. I didn't want to start my big adventure tomorrow without testing it, so I made a quick test drive down the street: 1 mile up the freeway and then back home, all was good. With more courage, I took another spin: A 45 mile, 75mph drive down the hwy.... no issues. I parked the car, just woke up 9 hrs later to get ready for my trip, to see that the cups have not lost any suction? Wow, either these cups are incredible, the Zaino wax I use on my paint has it very smooth, or both. Either way, impressive suction! Time to back the car out of the garage, lock the bikes down and head out on the official big adventure....my confidence is high. I will report back after the trip.

Pardon the poor cell phone pictures

i would think that having that car and 10 plus grand in bikes on the roof alone you might have a daily driver that would be a better hauler. still cool though but i would be worried every time i put that rack on my roof

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    i would be worried every time i put that rack on my roof
    Once you use one personally(a SeaSucker System that is), you'll know never to worry..
    Last edited by ProEdgeBiker; 09-25-2012 at 09:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    i would think that having that car and 10 plus grand in bikes on the roof alone you might have a daily driver that would be a better hauler. still cool though but i would be worried every time i put that rack on my roof
    This is my daily driver. My wifes daily driver is an Acura MDX. The MDX has always been the bike hauler. Now when we want to go somewhere in the sports car...we can take the bikes too. And yes, there will always be a pucker factor when anything touches my daily driver.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm going to go cry in the corner now at how poor I am in comparison. Pondering putting out a cup and grabbing a guitar, with a sign that says: Will stop playing for 10,000$

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post
    How did you get black cups? Those look nice.

SeaSucker will soon all be Black.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbltap View Post
    Love the bike rack, dislike the window anchor. A great deal!
    im guessing you placed the window anchor on the side of the window instead of the top?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

SeaSucker

I purchased a Mini-Bomber unit when I was in the U.S on business. I'd stumbled across the SeaSucker website and liked what I saw. I did a minimal amount of research, but never bothered with forums as I just find many of them petty and annoying. I was telling a college about the SeaSucker and Googled it for him and stumbled across this thread. Like I said I'm not a massive fan of forums, but thought I'd share my SeaSucker experience/opinion after reading most of the comments.

I use my Mini-Bomber primarily on my Porsche 911, and sometimes on my Audi A6 Avant. A few months ago I was driving back from an event in Italy with a friend. On the roof of the 911 was my Colnago C50 and friends Colnago M10. There'd been a serious accident on the Autoroute in France and it became touch and go as to wether we'd make our Eurotunnel connection back to the UK.. I drove for 3 hours at speeds of between 85mph and 110mph. Net result, no lose of pressure and I made my connection. I'm not condonning my speeds and initially I felt I was taking a "flier", but I have to say I was impressed with the products performance. The things I always make sure I do is use the protective covers when it's off the car, and always apply to a clean surface. In my humble Limey opinion, this is a pretty decent opinion.Also I've had no damage to the finish of either car. That's all.

Laughable Man...haaaa
    After some business travel and a gnarly case of stomach flu peppered with the occasional explosive diarrhea episode I got a chance to test my all black mini-bomber.

I ordered from ProEdgeBiker.com and got the Fork Up 15mm adapter for my '13 Stumpy FSR. The items arrived as intended and in good shape. I was impressed by how hefty the rack is and how the cups are made. This thing looks like it would survive a bomb blast.

After a week of staring at the setup then running to the bathroom(explosive diarrhea part) I finally got it tried out.

Impressions: This rig is extremely easy to use (please read all the instructions). It cut the time I take mounting the bike up in half (came from a Saris Bone 3). Made sure I pre-moistened the cups, a bit of twiddling the buttons, and voila! I will say that you have to get a feel for where to place the cup for the rear wheel by test fitting or just pre-attach. There seem to be cons to both approaches and they both include scratches if you are clumsy. Luckily I avoided that but can see it happening if someone is in a rush or careless. Once the QR is secured that bike isn't going anywhere. I mounted my Jamis Durango and my Stumpy for the fit and had a slight handlebar interference issue, but nothing horrible. With both bikes on top of the Chevrolet Volt I knew I had a good buy.

Test Drive: Took the Stumpy out this morning for a quick ride to a trail about 45 mins away and even at 70 MPH I noticed no excessive wind noise, buffeting, or anything that even hinted that the bike was anything but perfectly still. Got to the trail, easy off, and placed the entire rig in the trunk/hatch. Again...easy.

Observations and Wishlist: The rack didn't seem to have an option for an adapter that lets me keep my front wheel on. Personally, I'm not a fan of taking my front axle off each time. I saw something for road bikes but it didn't seem workable for MTBs. Also the cups do leave a ring on my roof. I am a Zaino user and usually average 5-10 coats on hoods, trunks, and roofs. The Volt got only 5 coats, the M5 gets 10. Thankfully they come off with a soft towel and detailer spray but they are clearly visible on my glossy black roof. I assume this is the Zaino which will show areas that get rough treatment. They are NOT scratches however. I REPEAT...THEY ARE NOT SCRATCHES. Lol... Just wanted to prevent anti-Sea Sucker-ites from trolling because of this post.

Conclusion: The mount performs to my expectations and exceeds many of them. I feel I got great value for the money as a hitch mount for my Volt plus a hitch would run me almost double what I paid. I'll give this product a 4.9/5.0 and the service of ProEdgeBiker.com 5.0/5.0.

Now to put bikes up on the M5 and give this rack a "real test"...muuaahahaha.

Seasucker?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349473231.796626.jpgSeasucker?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349473259.259673.jpg
    Last edited by Durango65; 10-05-2012 at 07:21 PM.
    I see you rolled your way into the Semi's...Dios Mio Man...

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    here's an Cheap Alternative that would work on almost any car

I'd rather be on my bike
    My Seasucker is still sitting in the box. A bad crash a few rides back has really squashed all desire to ride. However, I will be mounting this to my 2013 Mustang GT, and I WILL get out on the highway, and head off to a trail to ride.

I am honestly glad that the cups are white, as they match the car, and it will look really good once mounted. I will be sure to post some pictures up when I get it on there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProEdgeBiker View Post
    here's an Cheap Alternative that would work on almost any car

just, WOW. You can see the rust. Are those nailed/welded on?

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by slumpey View Post
    just, WOW. You can see the rust. Are those nailed/welded on?
    My Guess, SCREWED ON!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    They look like bolts to me there.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I mounted my Talon on my Mustang today. It took a bit of work, but once I figured out the distances and stuff, it went on nicely. I just did a test fit, not leaving the parking lot. I am still nervous about driving on the highway with it on there, but it seemed very stable.

Still trying to find the better place to put it, since my roof is fairly angled.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I mounted my Talon on my Mustang today. It took a bit of work, but once I figured out the distances and stuff, it went on nicely. I just did a test fit, not leaving the parking lot. I am still nervous about driving on the highway with it on there, but it seemed very stable.

Still trying to find the better place to put it, since my roof is fairly angled.
    Yea. see what works. I know with my Z, which has an angled roof, I can place the rack towards the front of the car (front mount on windshield) or near the rear (front mount right in fornt of rear hatch). I went with near the rear as I think it is better for overall fuel conservation. My car is crappy on fuel mileage so any mile or 2 is worth it.

I was nervous too the first time. First, try on some small roads close to home. As long as you have good seals and the bike fork is attached securly to the fork mount, don't worry. Even if the front mount has one cup with orange showing, the other two will still be strong. FYI, I have gone 85+ on the highway and also rode in torrential storms with no issue.

I can tell you, expect people to ask you about the rack. As long as there are people in the parking lot, someone stops by and asks me about the rack. It also could be it's very unusal to see a bike rack on a Z. I had 2 girls in a car drive up next to me on the highway and snap a picture with their iphone. The driver wasn't paying attention and almost crashed into the car in front of them. Driver was blond.
    Last edited by slumpey; 10-08-2012 at 03:17 PM.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post

Dont limit yourself by mounting the bike the traditional way Facing forward either. I have seen many people place the racks on the trunk of their sports cars and the rear tire facing forward..

I'm going to start a new thread so Owners can post pics of their chosen ways to carry their bikes using their seasucker racks. This one has gotten pretty large.

I'd rather be on my bike
    If my trunk was about 3" longer, and I didn't have the factory spoiler on there, I could mount the front solely on the rear window, and have the rear wheel on the trunk. That would be ideal for me I think. It won't fit that way though, so I am up on the roof a bit. The rear window is at a pretty decent slant though, and I am having issues mounting it to both the roof and the rear window. Might have to just go solely roof, and see if that works better.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast