Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Seasucker?

mtbr member
    Can anyone tell me if Seasucker makes a rear tire holder for FATBIKES..? I want to carry my Carbon Salsa Beargrease Fatbike ..
    Trek Equinox 9.9 TTL, Trek Madone 6.9 Project One, Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Fuel 9.0, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9,BGXX1

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    not sure what you mean--most of the racks are fork mount so if you can get your front fork onto a standard 9mm qr, 15mm through axle or 20mm ta, it should work. the rear wheel just sits on a platform with a long velcro strap, it's way too big for any wheel i've put on it really. the 'ladder strap upgrade' may be a bad idea for a fatbike.

the hornet doesn't even touch the wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I put my fatbike on the hornet works well, just asked for a long velcro strap for the seat to rest and hold on to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Very sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm looking to finally put my Mini Bomber "through the wringer" with my FatBike (28lbs). I'm planning to get a Kuat Dirtbag 150x15mm adapter since I think they're much cheaper than the Fork Up or Thule.

Has anyone used the racks through the winter?
    It can really get frigid here in my area (0F and below) and I'm not sure what are the effects of the coldness to the suction cups.

I currently drive a mini-SUV and planning to mount it vertically at the back but I'm looking for anchors to have a peace of mind while driving (anyone know where I can get one? )

Master of the Obvious
    I have been using the Seasucker Hornet for three years now. I live in Michigan and I use them year round The vacuum cups work fine in the cold, the trick is to keeping warm before you put them on. Seasucker?-lemmyfarley.jpg

in this pic it was 9 degrees.
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    You also need to keep an eye on the grease in the pump assembly during the colder months. When the grease degrades, you can have less than optimum performance from the vacuum pump. That was my direct experience. Truckee/Tahoe climate experience.
    It was love at first sight.... she had alloy nipples after all!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2_mountain_bike View Post
    You also need to keep an eye on the grease in the pump assembly during the colder months. When the grease degrades, you can have less than optimum performance from the vacuum pump. That was my direct experience. Truckee/Tahoe climate experience.
    I'm not sure where exactly is the grease in the pump assembly - care to explain?

Also additional questions:

1. when you have it mounted on a cold weather, do you leave it there or do you remove it and re-mount when you're back from the ride?

2. any alternatives to the door anchor that SeaSucker has grossly overpriced? There has to be a cheaper/simpler alternative out there!

mtbr member
    These vacuum cups should have been supplied with a special lubricant. I think it is silicon based. You can gently pull out the pump plunger shafts and regrease them from time to time. The only time I've had failures with my Seasuckers was due to lack of proper grease.

I usually take my seasucker mount off and stick it in the trunk of my car and then re-mount when I'm done riding. I leave my mounts in the garage, so they still get nearly as cold as outside. That hasn't ever been an issue though. Mine are over 3 years old and still work well.

mtbr member
    Does anyone drive a Mazda 3 (mine is 2010) I just stumble into this thread, which rack would you recommend? I usually just take my bike with me no other bikes. It is a hatchback and it has a sun roof. These look cool but has anyone ever dropped a bike using this kind of rack?
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Seasucker?-shoes-crankset-054.jpgSeasucker?-shoes-crankset-058.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Does anyone drive a Mazda 3 (mine is 2010) I just stumble into this thread, which rack would you recommend? I usually just take my bike with me no other bikes. It is a hatchback and it has a sun roof. These look cool but has anyone ever dropped a bike using this kind of rack?
    I've had probably 10 roof racks over the years. I bought a Seasucker because I can move it from car to car if necessary and I have a Porsche 911 I use it on primarily. These racks are very dependable. Mostly I'm concerned with someone stealing it because it pops off very easily when you want it to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You will want the the Talon 1 model if you're always transporting one bike. I've had mine for six years, I have driven two hours in the rain doing 75-80 mph. I have left it on all day in 105 degree heat and driven home after that, never had any problems. Only had a cup lose pressure, still no problems. Highly dependable!

mtbr member
    I had mine on the rear windshield of my Subaru and on my flimsy aluminum trunk for 8 hours doing 80mph down to SoCal. That was the hairiest drive I've done with mine. No issues. Keep in mind, I attached a complete Thule side arm rack to my Seasucker Talon!
    I used mine for two years before switching to a pickup bed!

Seasucker?-seasucker_rack.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy43 View Post
    You will want the the Talon 1 model if you're always transporting one bike. I've had mine for six years, I have driven two hours in the rain doing 75-80 mph. I have left it on all day in 105 degree heat and driven home after that, never had any problems. Only had a cup lose pressure, still no problems. Highly dependable!
    Thanks guys!! I'm still on the fence but the feed back is very helpful.

Ozzy that's a good review - Thanks! I figured the Talon would be the one that would work best. I ran this by one of my ridding buddies and it appears everyone's first reaction is "no way"! LOL
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks guys!! I'm still on the fence but the feed back is very helpful.

Ozzy that's a good review - Thanks! I figured the Talon would be the one that would work best. I ran this by one of my ridding buddies and it appears everyone's first reaction is "no way"! LOL
    Show this to the ones that doubt

http://youtu.be/rmyR0tMVofE

mtbr member
    Nice! I had not seen that one -
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    If anyone's looking for an alternative for the door anchor @Ozzy43 suggested I use a door hinge. I've tried fitting it in and it looks like it's a go. I'll be looping a cable through my bike frame into the door hinge. It'll serve as extra insurance in case the suckers fail.

As for through axle solutions I got a Kuat Dirt bag:

Only thing is that I have to drill my Sea Sucker for new 3/8'' holes for my 15x150mm thru axle mount. I'm thinking of placing it on the middle

knobby noob
    Have a Talon on order. Silly question - the front cups are to be installed first, then the bike mounted and finally, the 15TA axle installed, correct?

And when removing the bike, the bike is to be removed from the sucker first? Or are the front cups to be released, and the bike removed together with the front cups still attached to the fork?

Thanks.
    2014 Yeti SB-66AC
    2015 Canyon Torque DHX
    2016 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I take the bike off first then take the take the rack off second.

knobby noob
    Figured out as much earlier this morning, thanks!

Seasucker?-14188126_10153865355360980_1689032892061232451_o.jpg

Still find it a bit tricky to insert the axle while the bike is up there though. But overall, very happy with the Seasucker!
    2014 Yeti SB-66AC
    2015 Canyon Torque DHX
    2016 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Just got my Seasucker Mini Bomber. I'm only going to carry one bike. I wanted the extra redundancy of having 4 suckers instead of 3 and I might transport more bikes in the future.

The only thing I don't like is that the front fork mount is only 100mm and my bike has a 110mm front axle. Seasucker sent me a spacer...kinda hard holding a 30lb bike, putting int he axle, and then also having to place a spacer between without dropping the bike on my car.

So far so good, I've driven about 60mph with it, but I haven't gone on the freeways with bumps/dips...we'll see! I hope it stays put or else I'm gonna have a damaged car

NO DAMAGE on my paint at all. It does leave little ring marks with the dust, but over all, no scratches and nothing a little quick detail spray doesn't remove.
    Seasucker?-unnamed.jpg

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910