mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Scion xB- anyone with one?

So the lease on our '08 Civic is up and we've been looking at various cars on the market. My wife and I wanted to stick with Honda as they're pretty much all we've owned in our lifetime ( 6 Civics, a couple of Accords and a Beat) but they didn't have anything that: A) interested us and B) came with a stick.

By chance we came across Scion which is new to Canada and they made us an offer on a 2011 xB which we decided to take.

So anyone here with one and do you use a roof rack or a hitch? We currently have a Yakima roof rack for the Civic so with new clips that would be the easiest option but I'm worried about the extra height in getting bikes up there. That and how much is your mileage affected by having bikes on the roof? If we go with a hitch, any one know who makes one that's available up here?

Thanks,

Carl
    Last edited by BloorwestSiR; 08-10-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Clydesdale 29er
    I have an 05 and an 08 xB. The 08 is the same body style as the 11. I have hitches on
    both purchased from Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924 and installed in less than ten minutes. the wiring
    harness installed later took about and hour. I tow a small bike trailer that I built and have
    a variety of hitch mount bike carries as well. If you need to carry more than two bikes I
    would go with a trailer or the roof rack.

I don't have a picture of the big xB but here is my little xB with the trailer:

MxV=Clydesdale

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the info. Nice looking Scion and trailer you have.

Looks like we'll stick with a roof rack for now but if getting the bikes up there proves to be a real hassle, we'll go to a hitch.

Now to wait for it to come in which should be next Friday.

Carl

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have a scion xb too...very good on gas and drive great within the city but sucks in the highway. What rear rack you guys used?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've got one with a 4 place rack, that converts to a 2 by removing 2 bolts. It's a hollywood Rack and it works great, the second Hollywood I've had, the other was a two place. I took a bit to find a hitch with the proper weight rating and a 4 inch receiver, but if you are interested I can look it up where I got it from.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scion xB- anyone with one?-imag0656.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Matt

Nice ..thanks ! Does it required me to installed the bottom piece? I am looking for something cheap and fast

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I think you are talking about the receiver, and yes, it bolts on with six bolts, very easy to install yourself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Matt

forgive me for been mechanical declined, Is there a place for you to bolt under the scion? LOL again sorry...for me been ignorance!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My wife wants to go on a road trip with our bikes and new burley trailer so it looks like we're going with a hitch mount sometime this week as her bike is too damn heavy to put on aroof rack.

Checking the Curt hitch website, it shows that there are six bolts to screw into pre-threaded holes in the frame. They say it should take anywhere from 20-60 minutes depending on how mechanically inclined one is. I figure since our car will be new, it should be easier.

As for the rack, I think we're going to go with a Kuat NV.

Carl

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    No worries BellSouth, It is very easy, just a little awkward being underneath, but there is 6 holes that the hitch bolts right into, you might have a small plate on the left side for hooking a tow hook to, but you no longer need that once you install the hitch. all you need are a couple of wrenches.

Matt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bellsouth View Post
    I have a scion xb too...very good on gas and drive great within the city but sucks in the highway.
    why does it suck on the highway? poor fuel efficiency? lacking in power?

i have to downshift my civic constantly on the highway in the mtns where i dont have to with my accord which gets annoying after a while. just wondering if thats the issue with the xB.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Matt

thanks. I will look into it if I can find a cheap hitch. My bike only cost $50 lol

Quote Originally Posted by honkonbobo View Post
    why does it suck on the highway? poor fuel efficiency? lacking in power?

i have to downshift my civic constantly on the highway in the mtns where i dont have to with my accord which gets annoying after a while. just wondering if thats the issue with the xB.
    On the highway, it less power, so passing on fast lane might be little troublesome. Are you getting gen 2?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    A quick update. Picked up a Curt hitch and installed it over the weekend. Took about 10 minutes tp do as it's just 6 bolts into pre-tapped holes in the frame.

The rack should arrive tomorrow and my Lynskey should be ready early next week. Can't wait to get it all together.