Thread: saris Thelma

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

saris Thelma

How is the SARIS thelma? Is it secure? It has a 35lb capacity per bike. My trek fuel ex weighs about 35. This seems to be the most affordable no frame touch rack available. I also found a used one. Are the wheel staps decent?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I live in their back yard so see a lot of them, friends have them. Some have complained the plastic means it's the the rack for heavy duty year round long term use and Saris will advise their CycleOn or newer Freedom for that because of more metal.

A friend who had plastic break in January said Saris was excellent about their life time warranty.

Most of my friends ride bigger bikes or trail bikes same as or like yours.

Some don't like the design if you have a commuter with fenders because the trays wrap around the wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I hear great things about their warranties. My bike weighs about 30lbs. I dont intend on leaving it on the suv. I usually pull the rack off when not in use. I can see that plastic could get weak from the sun and heat if left on all season. I went ahead and put a bid on the used rack. Hopefully I get it for less than a $100 shipped. I read pretty good reviews about the rack. By the time I sell my swagman 3 bike rack it should not cost me much money. BTW it is the new thelma that will hold 29er.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Any complaints on the thelma?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    No it has been good to me. I have been using it for 8 months now. I usually just haul one bike. But I have had my Fuel EX8 and a Stumpjumper 29er on there with no issues. Sometimes when hauling 2 bikes you have to lower or higher the seat for clearance of handlebars. This depends on the size of the bikes. The straps have proven to work for me. They have been long enough for a 26x2.25 rocket ron and a 29x2.3 bontrager XR3.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

jp4
    mtbr member

Re: saris Thelma

I have two of them, the three bike and the two bike model. They've been great for the last three years I've had them. As far as the plastic, there is a metal rib molded inside, so it's stronger than it looks. Downsides are they don't work with fenders, which I use in the winter, and the straps aren't really long. They work for all our bikes (xc and road), but the straps might be too short for aero road wheels or big dh tires. Upside is they're pretty light, my wife can install them herself. They also have a good system for taking the slop out at the hitch (the pin is a bolt you tighten with a wrench). They also come with an adapter to use 2" or 1 1/4" receivers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Great thread! I'm in the market right now and the Thelma 3 is the top choice. Any experience with mixing kids bikes and adult (29er, road, 20" kids)? Or a mix of mountain bikes?

jp4
    mtbr member

They make a model of it that has one tray for kid size bikes. That being said, I take my daughter's 24" wheel mtb on the regular rack all the time. Carrying multiple mountain bikes I occasionally have to lower a seat or loosen a stem and turn the bars a little to insure the bikes aren't grinding against each other.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the reply. Our daughter has 24" wheels as well. Your reply was very helpful. Interesting about the need to monkey with the bikes. I am trying to avoid that (of course, out of sheer laziness).

Do you think it would be better to buy the kind of rack that holds the top tube instead?

jp4
    mtbr member

Personally I'd stay away from any rack where the bikes hang from their frames. They don't work well on full suspension bikes generally, and I definitely wouldn't clamp carbon frames with one. We've had them in the past, but inevitably bikes get pretty scratched up using them.
    Any tray mount track will have issues with interference between bikes on occasion. It usually happens when racking mtb's of the same size. I just keep an Allen wrench handy and turn the bars or lower a seat to take care of that. Road bikes aren't a problem, nor are mtbs of different sizes. The other day I had my large 29'er, my son's 26'er, and my daughter's 24" wheeled bike on the rack and there was no interference.