Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saris Freedom?

mtbr member

Saris Freedom?

Has anyone seen one in person? I have not. I am looking for a review. Looking at pictures it seems to be a nice easy lite rack. It does not appear to be putting downward force on a frame. There are straps on the wheels so small trays are not a problem. Thanks in advance.
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Its made in the US. I went to LBS today. They know they exist but they have not seen our hear when they will arrive. He is calling for me this week to see if he can get one in for me to touch.
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm also interested in this rack but unable to find any reviews. Not sure if the rack is available yet in the U.S.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just picked one up from LBS last week and i love it.

mtbr member
    How about a report with some pictures? What kind of vehicle are you using it on?
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have it on a 2010 Dodge Caliber. Sorry can't upload pics until i have 10 posts on here

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    post 3

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    post 4

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    post 5

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    post 6

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    post 7

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    post 8

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    post 9

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    post 10

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I woulld also like to hear feedback on how you like it. What other racks were you considering before?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I was looking at some other racks that were similar to this from Thule and Yakima but they were all above $300, the Freedom was $220. I love how fast you can get your bike in and out of it. The only thing to take note of is that when i have both of my bikes in it i have to take the seat out of one to avoid hitting the handlebars of the other. Not a huge deal and with some adjusting you could probably eliminate that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    nice and light, the main mast folds down so it hardly takes up and space. I''ve seen a couple of them and build them up. They go together super simple and they are made in Madison, WI!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SidEvile View Post
    I was looking at some other racks that were similar to this from Thule and Yakima but they were all above $300, the Freedom was $220. I love how fast you can get your bike in and out of it. The only thing to take note of is that when i have both of my bikes in it i have to take the seat out of one to avoid hitting the handlebars of the other. Not a huge deal and with some adjusting you could probably eliminate that.
    Yep, I am thinking about getting one of those. Questions:

1. What size tire are you running?
    2. How about 29ers with 2.3 tires?
    3. Do you think the frame strap could scratch up your frame if the frame and strap aren't perfectly clean?
    4. How hard would it be if there was a water bottle cage installed on the bike?
    5. Removing the seat post or changing the seat height does not sound that appealing. Have you figured out a way to mount two mountain bikes without doing these things?

Please, anyone else should chime in too!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Im running 26x2.1

The was the tire cups are designed it will work with any size tire, road bike to 26 to 29er

The frame strap could probably scratch the frame if there were dirt or sand but i dont think there will be enough vertical movement for it to do that. I was thinking of putting something soft on the strap

I did notice that the frame strap connects in between the cage bolts. Depending on your frame style you could connect it to the top tube but on my bike i dont have that option. (This could be a deal-breaker for a lot of people)

I have figured the seat post thing out. The wheel cups are adjustable side to side, so i just spaced them farther apart and problem solved.

mtbr member
    I was stalking the LBS yesterday and found out they received a couple Freedoms yesterday and they would be assembling one immediately for me to see. I swung by to take a look. I like the way it looked and felt. It holds the bikes very nice. I had to go to the other location tonight to pick up not assembled because I wanted to see how difficult it would be to assemble myselfand I wanted to add lock tight to the bolts . To provide an accurate time it was two sips of a beer and three bolts. Here is the goods in the box through final assembly. I am not yet able to show you pictures of the rack on the car yet because the hitch has not been purchase because I was in debate if doing this way on the seasucker. I figured that this is a little more theft resistant because anyone that will steal your ride off of your ride is not afraid to break a glass to get them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saris Freedom?-imag0611.jpg  

Saris Freedom?-imag0612.jpg  

Saris Freedom?-imag0613.jpg  

Saris Freedom?-imag0614.jpg  

Saris Freedom?-imag0615.jpg  

2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've been using one for two weeks and love it. The straps are a bit short for 26x2.4's but will fit. If you get one and use fat tires ask the shop to order extra straps for you and double them up.

mtbr member
    My hitch finally arrived and I am happy to say I am impressed with the rack! Nice and light, stores well, there is plenty of room between the car and rack and lots of ground clearance. It is super easy to get the bikes on and off. Here are a few pictures. I put the Hitch on yesterday before leaving for a fishing trip. I was a bit tired after a day on the water in 3 to 5 foot seas so I did not play with it last night. Today it has been raining all day I said screw it I will play in the rain to get some feed back for myself and everyone waiting. From the first picture to the last picture was a total of 7 minutes. I think I will be a happy owner of this rack. We will be putting 2500 miles on it in two weeks so we shall see how it holds up. Nice job Saris!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saris Freedom?-imag0625.jpg  

Saris Freedom?-imag0626.jpg  

Saris Freedom?-imag0627.jpg  

Saris Freedom?-imag0628.jpg  

Saris Freedom?-imag0629.jpg  

Saris Freedom?-imag0630.jpg  

Saris Freedom?-imag0631.jpg  

2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    not to re hash an old thread but am going to look at one of these saturday, anyone else have more feedback on them? how are the holding up? how would you compare it to a swagman? anyone use both? will be replacing a Yakima big joe? regardless its replacing a rack that hold the frame and allows the bikes to swing. rack is still decent but a pain in the arse with more then one bike. and also my new bike... want something that is not going to scratch the frame
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm still lovin' it. Get some extra straps.

Scratches? Really? Best solution is not to wash your bike. I know that the mud on mine hides all the scratches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast