mtbr member

saris freedom 2 questions to those who have used it.

There are very few reviews of the rack which makes me question its quality or usability.

I recently purchased a kuat beta and have liked the rack so far. Edit: i finally got in touch with kuat. I will not be keeping the rack and they have been helpful in its warranty... i still intend to return it.

Replacement advice:
    seeking low cost platform
    I'll pay the premium price if there are no quality options though
    2 bikes is all i will haul. 1.25 hitch receiver

Saris freedom 2:
    hitch pin: does it require use of the threaded pin? I take the rack off after each ride and dont want to take tools out just to install/remove.
    my wife will use it when im not around so she will hate that even more than i will.

pros?
    cons?
    Last edited by laackund; 08-26-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9
    8 missing teeth-$23K IOU from tooth fairy
    rattled brain forgetting impact-PRICELESS

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yes it uses a threaded pin, most anything will unless it's super cheap and you don't mind it flopping all around.

PROS

cost
    weight
    easy loading of bikes
    easy attachment to car
    hold bikes securely
    high quality with a good warranty
    US company

CONS
    initial setup for specific bikes cumbersome
    if wanting to use for more than 2 different bikes, trays must be reconfigured for other designs, frame and wheel sizes (not a one size fit all rack, but all sizes will fit, just the adjustment process takes several minutes)
    straps can get finicky from time to time (difficult to disengage, seems to bind a little)
    slight wobble from steel flex (I think everything 1 1/4 will do that do an extent)
    potential for slight scratches on downtube from rubber straps

I have had one for about 4 months, I don't hate it but don't love it either. I like it a lot, but kind of wish I would have sprung for the CycleOn Pro, but thats $200 more than the freedom.

If cost is a factor at all get the freedom, its not junk by any means and is the nicest rack I have personally owned, just not the fanciest thing out there.

mtbr member
    thanks for the input. I had hoped that there were more solutions out there similar to kuats setup. a self jamming slide with the turn of a handle. Not tools necessary.

are there any options that you have seen with a threaded pin and some sort of handle for a nut that doesnt require the use of a wrench? the whole process of either keeping ratchet in the trunk or digging through my tool box every time i go for a ride just chaps my a##. I would almost veer to the side of saying that is a deal breaker for me in a rack. I might just put up with kuat for that reason alone....

I dont mind the time to set up the rack if its good to go for the next time. we use the same 2 bikes most of the time. Road bikes tend to start right out the front door.

Would you say the strap process is enough to make it worth the extra 200 for a different variation?

I dont have a ton of spare cash but will spend it right if i have to. 250 sounds a lot more enticing than 450
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9
    8 missing teeth-$23K IOU from tooth fairy
    rattled brain forgetting impact-PRICELESS

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    No not worth the extra $200 unless you have very deep pockets. If you can afford to blow $200 on a nice dinner or date night for the wife, then get the nicer CycleOn rack. Otherwise the Freedom, (IMO) is the best bang for the buck.
    I also bouth a Trance X2 for the same reason.Bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've been looking for a 4 bike platform style rack and the hollywood brand seems to have the most features I'm looking for, they have a 2 bike style that drops a couple of the features but it looks pretty good if you can only use a 1.25" hitch. Their 4 bike model is 2" only but has a great looking clamp down anti-rattle lever which grabs the hitch pin, and the rear 2 bike add-on can be removed when you only need to transport 2 bikes (my usual case).

Amazon.com: Hollywood Racks HR1000 Sport Rider 2-Bike Platform Style Hitch Mount Rack (1.25 and 2-Inch Receiver): Sports & Outdoors

the 4 bike model is the hr1400

Amazon.com: Hollywood Racks HR1400 Sport Rider SE 4-Bike Platform Style Hitch Mount Rack (2-Inch Receiver): Sports & Outdoors
    2013 Trek/Gary Fisher Rumblefish Elite XXL/23"
    120mm 29er

2004 Santa Cruz Bullitt XL White
    170mm 26er