mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Saris Bones 3 vs. Yakima SuperJoe Pro 3

What are you thoughts and experience on these two?

I heard the SuperJoe has a tendency to throw your bike off at high speeds due to the top tube straps and the Bones truck straps come loose easily.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I have a Superjoe 2. Used it for several years. Never had a problem. I would still be using it but got a deal on a hitch rack, which works better for me. I can not see any possible way for the top tube straps to come off while in use, if they are attached correctly. That makes no sense to me. I drive too fast too often, never had a problem.

mtbr member
    I have both (or had...sold the Saris as soon as I got my Outback and can fit my bike in my car).

The Saris has the better car-to-rack connection. Much better. I think I could have attached a crane to that rack and pulled my car off the ground before the rack gave way. Or pulled the trunk off. It was also MUCH easier to install and remove.

The SuperJoe, which I still have, has the better bike-to-rack connection. I really liked the way the rubber straps pulled the bike into the top-tube and seat-tube slots simultaneously. That bike wasn't going anywhere.

The Saris also felt more secure. It has those huge steel arms versus the small diameter tubes of the Yak. Both are probably overkill for the small amount of weight they are holding and I highly doubt the tubing is the weakest point in the whole system.

My preference was to use the Saris and just add a backup bike-to-rack connection (I used a nylon strap) as insurance.
    Yeti ASR-5
    Niner One9

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks all for your input and you guys were very helpfull. I have decided to go with the Bones as the geometry seems like it will "hug" my trunk lid which would help with bounce.

Again Thankyou!