mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Rooftop Carriers: What do you recommend????

Hi,
    I am look for a rooftop carrier that will hold my bike securely without a risk of it coming off on the highway.

I would MUCH prefer a model where I don't have to take the wheel off, but the reviews I have read online for some of the ones where you leave the wheel on have described catostrophic failures where the bike came off on the road. not cool

Ability to lock bike on would be nice too but not totally necessary.

thule or yakima does not matter much to me.

I have two 29ers to carry: a Tallboy and a Trek Rumblefish II.

High Gravity Haze
    The best I've been able to put together thus far has been a Yakima system with some old Copperhead fork mounts and a Hurricane components 15mm mount for the Fox fork on my Rumblefish. Seeing 29'rs on roof tops swaying in the wind as I go down the highway un-nerves me. With the fork mounts, I do not have that issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rooftop Carriers:  What do you recommend????-yakima-rooftop-rack.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have a Yakima Highroller and it's first test was a 1,400 mile road trip. The rack is fantastic and I highly recommend it. I have posted a few pictures of it in the Subaru threads recently if you want to take a look.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I don't know...but the research I have done just seems to indicate that there have been some catostrophic failures with the Highroller and a couple of the other wheel-on racks. Most of the people who had them had previously driven for quite some time with no problems. The last thing I want is my bike to fly off my roof.

So as much as I don't like the fork mounts I may be willing to go that route if that is what it takes...but then it just ocurred to me that both of my bikes have 15mm thru axels. Do the fork mounts these days acommodate those???

High Gravity Haze
    You have to purchase a specific 15mm adapter:

Yakima 15mm adapter

High Gravity Haze
    You might also check out this adapter from Rockymounts. It's a little more expensive, but it's also lockable whereas the Yakima cannot be locked:

Rockymounts Driveshaft

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ok, sorry in advance for a dumb question, but here goes (FWIW, I've never had a roof rack bike carrier before)...

I have a 99 Isuzu Rodeo with a factory roofrack & bars. Can I just purchase any type of roof bike tray and mount it on the factory rack, or do I need some other special type adapter?

I just bought a new-to-me Cove G-Spot that has a Manitou Sherman fork, not sure of the type of mount I will need. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'm running a Thule Side-arm, and surprisingly it works really well. I do a lot of driving to and from work (80 km one direction) and with the bike cinched down there's no sway.

I've modified mine to hold by Fat bike as well and the same, if I pull the arm down nice and tight it's good to go.
    If you dont pull the arm down tight it will rock back and forth a bit but after a few times putting the bike up there you find the sweet spot.

This way you don't need to remove the front wheel everytime.

Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ^ sweet bike.

OP:
    I use the Yakima Highroller. You can fit a 29er without taking off the front wheel. In fact, you use the same setting for both 29 and DH bikes, and I am sure my 45 lbs rig is way heavier than your bike.

At first I was a bit nervous but haven't read disaster reports for this rack and no issues so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RoddyMcWolfenstein View Post
    Ok, sorry in advance for a dumb question, but here goes (FWIW, I've never had a roof rack bike carrier before)...

I have a 99 Isuzu Rodeo with a factory roofrack & bars. Can I just purchase any type of roof bike tray and mount it on the factory rack, or do I need some other special type adapter?

I just bought a new-to-me Cove G-Spot that has a Manitou Sherman fork, not sure of the type of mount I will need. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!
    Most bike trays are made to fit Thule and/or Yakima bars but there are trays that will also fit most factory bars. I have a Yakima Frontloader that fits factory rack bars. The problem is most factory bars are too flexy. I had it on my Vibe, an explorer, and a hyundai minivan and was never super happy about with the tray on any of them. The bike just moves around too much and no way I would trust having two bikes up there on the factory bars. I ended up putting a Thule bar setup on my car which is way stronger and got rid of nearly all the swaying and I feel safe with three bikes on those.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've got a pair of Rocky Mounts Pitchfork trays on my car. They're fork mount, but it's really no issue to remove the front wheels of my road bike or MTB to put them on top. When I bought my Stumpjumper I picked up the Driveshaft 20/15mm adapter and like that it can be locked. I've got almost a year of use on this setup and so far it's a nice, strong setup that doesn't allow my bikes to sway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So with those locking mounts above....I would also have to get lock cores to lock the fork adapter to the base rack, right????

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bowler1 View Post
    So with those locking mounts above....I would also have to get lock cores to lock the fork adapter to the base rack, right????
    Yep. The adapter I have slides into the fork mount, and I lock the QR of the fork mount, then once my bike is on there I lock the adapter to my bike's front axle. When I bought the adapter I just had Rocky Mounts make the lock of the adapter fit the same key I already had for the trays. Now I just have 1 key to lock/unlock everything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    1upUSA!

All metal construction: CHECK!
    Easy to mount/take off: CHECK!
    Fit pretty much any bars: CHECK!
    USA made: CHECK!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The *best* tray is the THule Echelons for front wheel removal type. The best non removable wheel tray is the 1UpUSA.

I won't use any sort of rack that has any sort of grab onto the frame where it wasn't specifically designed to be grabbed. I had one and it eventually damaged the finish on the bikes.

I've had the Highrollers - they are nice. The problems with them are not so much failing catastrophically, but you can't tell if the mechanism is ok. There is a plastic ratchet that holds the rear side of the front wheel "V" up and that is, essentially, the mechanism that holds the bike. If you either by accident or on purpose push this piece down, it will strip the plastic gear inside. It will give the appearance of holding but it will suddenly release if a much lower than normal force is applied to this piece. If you could inspect the ratchet mechanism to see if it was ok, it would be a fantastic tray. This happened to one of mine accidentally, when I inadvertently pushed the rear piece down - it's not all that hard to do and I discovered this failure mode in subsequent uses.

The really great roof rack that you don't have to remove the tires is the 1UpUSA version. This would be my choice over the Highrollers in a very big way. There is no comparison. The 1UpUSA wins hands down.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    The *best* tray is the THule Echelons for front wheel removal type. The best non removable wheel tray is the 1UpUSA.
    J.
    Echelon on the left, 1UpUSA on the right...