B42
    mtbr member

Roof rack use on trailer hitch?

Does anyone know of a trailer hitch rack that would accept roof rack bike mounts? I have need to both, and would rather take the time to move than spend the $$ for both. Usually goes in spurts of weeks of one, then weeks of the other.

Thanks all.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

code: mtbr2011
    thule used to make a product that was a hitch bike rack, but had to arms protruding out the back that emulated crossbars on a roof, where you could attach fork mount bike racks (or any bike racks, but it came with some fork mounts at the time)...it's long since been discontinued, and I wouldn't even know where to look for that.
    there have been some diy posts about this type of rack on this forum too...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    since I had a few spare roof trays, I built one for myself. But if you don't have a welder - I've seen several people modifying those hitch-mounted cargo platforms to work with roof trays.

Here's what I built, in mid-fabrication. I need to redesign to have about 2-3 inches of step-up on the draw-bar.

B42
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    since I had a few spare roof trays, I built one for myself. But if you don't have a welder - I've seen several people modifying those hitch-mounted cargo platforms to work with roof trays.

Here's what I built, in mid-fabrication. I need to redesign to have about 2-3 inches of step-up on the draw-bar.
    Nice work. I'm assuming you need the step-up to clear driveways, etc. Thanks for the picture. Based on plenty of web searching, this looks like a decent option for me.

Thanks again both of you.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The Yakima Hitchfork was an option for what you describe, but like the Thule, was discontinued several years ago.

I made my own. No welding required.
    Homemade Hitch Rack for Bikes & Cargo

mtbr member
    I have considered this several times before. I would probably make my own, it would be pretty easy.

There is a kickstarter project wanting to do just this thing also:
    SWITCHbck Bike Rack by Jonny J ? Kickstarter

Hollywood made a rack that almost did the same thing, but they provided the fork mount and tray:
    http://www.hollywoodracks.com/instru...%20current.pdf

Chad

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by B42 View Post
    Nice work. I'm assuming you need the step-up to clear driveways, etc. Thanks for the picture. Based on plenty of web searching, this looks like a decent option for me.

Thanks again both of you.
    Yes - I have a 4x4, but it really isn't much taller than most 2wd's. I have only drug once on a steep driveway, but if I put it on a car, I'd have issues. I had the whole thing powdercoated and used it a bit, until a buddy with better gas mileage got him a nice Thule setup. now we just use his car, lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Roof rack use on trailer hitch?

1up USA makes a roof rack and sells an adaptor to use the roof rack trays on your hitch. The 1up system is probably the best. They don't have it on their website but if you call and ask about it they should have it. I called about it a few weeks ago and they said it was all in stock. I ended up with just the hitch rack but was thinking about getting the roof rack and making it a hitch rack.

Slow
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    There is a kickstarter project wanting to do just this thing also:
    SWITCHbck Bike Rack by Jonny J ? Kickstarter
    It looks like they are selling them for $129.
    SWITCHbck ? Home

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouchNJ View Post
    It looks like they are selling them for $129.
    SWITCHbck ? Home

Probably worth $129 in my opinion.

mtbr member
    I made my own rack to do this since I already had Thule Sidearm trays which work very well IMO. I am also a mechanical engineer and have access to all the tools needed at work so it wasn't very difficult to do. I made it fold up and tilt down as well, which made it more complex but comes in handy sometimes. It is heavier than it needs to be, but I found all the material on the scrap rack so I wasn't able to choose the tube wall thickness, but it could be much lighter if I ordered the proper material.

Roof rack use on trailer hitch?-bike-rack.jpg

Roof rack use on trailer hitch?-bike-rack-dh-bikes.jpg

Roof rack use on trailer hitch?-rack-allroad.jpg

edit: photos updated with smaller images
    Last edited by JustMtnB44; 07-20-2013 at 03:07 AM.

Dirt Junkie
    Damn! that thing looks SOLID. How much does it weigh? You probably could have gotten by with slightly smaller tubing. There's no kill like overkill. You're an engineer so I understand (did you run FEA?).

It is beautiful. Well done, but Damn!
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    Damn! that thing looks SOLID. How much does it weigh? You probably could have gotten by with slightly smaller tubing. There's no kill like overkill. You're an engineer so I understand (did you run FEA?).

It is beautiful. Well done, but Damn!
    Thanks. I think the part I made weighs around 18-20 lbs, plus the Sidearm trays adds up. It is very solid, I hate racks that are sloppy and wiggle around a lot. I used 2" tubing for most of it, and 1.5" tubing for the arms that the trays attach to. All of the tubing is 1/8" wall thickness because that is what I had available, but if I were to do it again I would use 1/16" wall tubing. I did run a quick FEA and with 1/16" wall tubing it is still plenty strong. This would cut the weight down by almost 40%.