mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Roof Rack Suggestion

Greeting! I'm a bit of a lurker, but wanted to ask for people's experience with roof racks. I have always transported my bike in the back of my Outback, but I would like to get a roof rack to carry my bike (and in the upright position rather than having to take the front wheel off).

Does anyone have any recommendation or warning about ones that didn't work for them? I have been looking at the options from Thule, Yakima, and Inno but would also be open to other suggestions.

I'd like the rack to hold the bike with some confidence, and not be susceptible to rocking in the rack if windy or on the highway.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Last edited by edgesx2; 03-29-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Your Best Friend

Re: Roof Rack Suggestion

I'm having good luck with the Thule sidearms.

Rider
    I have used all the Yakima and a few of the Thule roof racks.

So far my favorite has been the Yakima High Roller.
    You put your bike on it roll it forward and push up the arm, the arm rachets up and you can give the knob a few turns to tighten it up. Really secure and easy to use.

I have used the high rollers for almost every kind of bike including some 40+ lbs DH rigs and they have held up great. They are going on 4-5 seasons of abuse.

I would stay away from any roof bike rack that holds the bike on while touching the frame.

Yakima High Roller or the Thule Side arm should do the trick.

here is a video of the high roller
    Yakima HighRoller Roof Mounted Bike Rack Review Video | etrailer.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have used most of the Yakima products and some of the Thule products. If you are willing to take the wheel off, the Thule Echelon is really nice. If you don't want to take the wheel off, the best one of all is the 1UpUSA racks rooftop version. Really work well.

As far as the HighRoller goes, I had one. I have another one and they are on the side in the garage. Not a bad idea, but the implementation is a problem. The ratcheting mechanism in the assembly that holds the front wheel is a plastic gear. It is not available to be inspected to see if it is ok. I inadvertently stripped mine but it appeared to work ok but slight pressure on the ratcheting arm would cause the gear to suddenly strip to the bottom leaving the bike wheel unsupported where it could easily fall over. I called Yak customer service to ask them what to do and how to get replacement parts, and they told me that it could not be replaced and that I needed a new rack and that I should take the old one, cut it up and put it in the trash so there was no incentive for anyone to pick it up and try to use it.

So, I think this would be a good design if you could visually inspect the ratchet and replace it if damaged. The failure mechanism now is such that you may be led to believe it is functional when it, in fact, is not.

That's the benefit to the 1UpUSA design. Both wheels are held so it's faster and easier to mount it. All parts can be visually inspected and the mechanism is much simpler. It also has a much lower aero profile than the HighRoller which is nice if you leave it on the car.

Here's my car with two bikes on top using the 1UpUSA racks:

As far as "rocking in the wind" goes, any bike that is tray based and is relatively narrow will have some rocking. It comes from the narrow base and the tall bike - that's a big lever arm there. That said, the most solid ones are the trays where you remove the front wheel. Following very closely behind that, my 1UpUSAs are solid. My rockiest mount is the HighRoller.

J.
    Last edited by JohnJ80; 03-29-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Rider

Roof Rack Suggestion

Have any photos of the high roller apart? I'm surprised mine have held up so well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No pictures because you can't take it apart - there is no way to tell if it is stripped or working. That's the whole issue. My rack looked just fine and exactly like the non damaged one but you can't tell the difference but it wasn't. You could put a bike in it, but a bump or jar or just enough wind pressure to the ratcheted part of the rack would cause the ratchet to fall down open. Your first clue will be when the bike comes out of the rack.

For a premium rack, I think they could have done a much better job on that. The HighRoller is at the top of end of the price range. Normally, Yak does a great job with replacement parts and durability. On this one, not so much. The concept of the rack is a great, the execution of the design is not. Don't get me wrong, I love Yak stuff and have a ton of it but this one, they just didn't get right.

Wouldn't be a problem if you could figure out if it were damaged or not.

For bikes on the car with both wheels on, and at the same price point (actually, $10 less), I think the 1UpUSA rack is a much better choice and more secure than a fully functioning HighRoller.

J.

Rider

Roof Rack Suggestion

Right on thanks for the heads up, I have had good luck so far. I will start checking them every time now. I would rather not have my bike landing on the highway. One up look solid for sure, haven't used one though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Good plan. I liked the HighRoller and how it operated. And I liked not having to take off the wheel each time. I think if one is prudent then it's ok and if you check it as you mention.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the recommendations. I've seen the 1UpUSA rack once before, and I thought it looked like a great setup. I will admit that I thought it was a homemade rack, but quality. It's a little more than what I was hoping to spend, but it looks great. The only part of it that I don't quit see how it works is the mechanism that holds the arms up. It looks like a lever of some sort, but I can't quite make it out how it works, and I don't remember from the one I saw before. Is this mechanism a solid design, or something that could susceptible to vibrations?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The arms that hold the wheels are essentially connected to cam locks that ride on an aluminum rail. The harder you try and pull the wheel arms apart, the harder the cams lock. There is a lever to release the cams to open the arms. You close the rack by pushing the arms closed to the point where they slightly deform the tire. It's very secure.

In order for the arm to open without opening the cam, you'd have to bend the arms (hard to do, thick AL) or the cam would have to break - solid aluminum again. If you watch the video on their main page, you can see the locks.

It's not homemade. When you see it in person, it's quite well done. There is a very long thread here about the hitch version. The trays are the same so you can get an idea of what people think of them.

You can order one out and look at it. You have 60 days to return for full refund and they will pay the shipping for you to get it back to them. Basically, you can look at it, try it out and decide.

1UPUSA.com :: Services

J.