mtbr platinum member

Roof Rack Ranger App - Prevents driving into garage with bike / gear

Hi All,
    My brother and I co-developed and just released an iPhone app called Roof Rack Ranger. It is an advance warning app to prevent you from driving your bike, kayak, Rocket box, canoe, etc, into your garage.

After driving one of my bikes into a car port, I decided to work with my brother on programming an app to warn you before driving into your garage. The unique thing about Roof Rack Ranger is that it only requires a simple one-time set-up and then it is truly "hands free" after that; the app runs in the background and provides warning when necessary.

During the one-time setup you just define your "Home" location and each of the "Activity locations" (trail heads, lakes, rivers, etc) that you might go biking, boating, canoeing, skiing, or camping. Roof Rack Ranger runs in the background of your phone and senses the pattern of traveling into these Activity regions and is “triggered”. Then, as you head back Home, Roof Rack Ranger automatically provides a warning as you approach your Home location.

We designed the app to use very little battery usage and only uses GPS when you are near your "Home" location with gear on your car. This way, Roof Rack Ranger can always be run in the background mode of your phone and always keep you protected.

Anyway, we have been beta testing this app for over 5 months, and it is extremely accurate. Check out Roof Rack Ranger in the Apple App store, www.roofrackranger.com, or in the Mtbr classifieds for more info.

If you have any photos of damaged bikes, kayaks, or canoes, feel free to post and we will be adding a "Wall of Shame" page to our site (and maybe some voting functionality)

Regards,
    -Ryan
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Elitest thrill junkie
    What happens at the drive thru?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    There is always gotta be someone to be Killjoy...
    lean forward

mtbr platinum member
    Jayem - Yes, we are actually working on that functionality, but it is not ready for public release yet. Once we get it working, we will release it as an app upgrade.
    -Ryan
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

code: mtbr2011
    seems cool....we'll recommend it to our customers.

mtbr platinum member
    Roof Rack Ranger is Free this entire weekend for the finale of the Tour de France. Please review our app on App store if you love it!

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    seems cool....we'll recommend it to our customers.
    Thank you - let me know what you think!
    -Ryan

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks. Having driven a bike into the garage before, I'm sensitive to this need. I downloaded the app and will give it a try. I presume this uses the iPhone's geofencing capability?

J.

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Thanks. Having driven a bike into the garage before, I'm sensitive to this need. I downloaded the app and will give it a try. I presume this uses the iPhone's geofencing capability?

J.
    Hi John180, We created a technology called ExacTrack, which uses a combination of location systems depending on the sensitivity that is needed at the moment. It switches to more accurate location tracking like GPS when it knows that you have gear on your roof and are nearing your home. Over a period of 6 months of beta testing, we tweaked the ExacTrack algorithm and it uses very little incremental battery use. This allows you to run Roof Rack Ranger in the background at all times without the battery drain typically found with most GPS apps.
    Thanks for trying out the app, and please leave a review on App store if you like it!
    Regards,
    -Ryan

mtbr platinum member
    We are creating a "Wall of Fame / Shame" page for our web site with photos of peoples bikes & gear that they have smashed into their garages.

Post your photos here and I will add them to our new page. Maybe we will have some voting buttons for best photos

Bring it on - let's see the carnage!

Regards,
    -Ryan

mtbr platinum member
    OK, I just received some photos for our "Wall of Shame" on our web site. $2,000+ in damage to bike, rack, and car. Ouch!!! Let's see your pics.
    Roof Rack Ranger App - Prevents driving into garage with bike / gear-bike-damaged-driving-into-garage.jpg
    Roof Rack Ranger App - Prevents driving into garage with bike / gear-drive-bike-into-gargage-1.jpg
    Roof Rack Ranger App - Prevents driving into garage with bike / gear-roof-rack-damage-driving-into-garage.jpg

mtbr platinum member
    FYI - Roof Rack Ranger is currently free on Apple App store. Please rate the App on App Store if you like it!

Roof Rack Ranger App - Prevents driving into garage with bike / gear-k9wcqd.jpgRoof Rack Ranger App - Prevents driving into garage with bike / gear-27zdw6g.jpgRoof Rack Ranger App - Prevents driving into garage with bike / gear-2ly382h.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've used it. It works well. You do have to be very careful that you have your volume turned up all the way.

What I've not been able to figure out is the purpose of the "activity" locations. The home locations makes sense (it's where the garages are, I suppose). But what are the activity locations? They don't seem to arm the Rack Ranger app to alarm, for instance.

J.

mtbr platinum member
    Hi JohnJ80, Thanks for your feedback.

First, yes, it really is critical to remember to have your volume turned up. The alert is pretty distinct, but you still have to have your volume up especially if you are listening to music, etc. Apps cannot change your volume level so you have to remember to do this manually, although, Roof Rack Ranger does provide a pop-up reminder to turn up your volume.

Second, the Activity Regions are areas like biking trailheads, kayak put-ins, camping locations, etc. Areas that you might travel to with bikes or gear on your roof. Roof Rack Ranger knows that you have gear on your roof by detecting when you travel into one of these Activity Regions. Once you travel into an Activity Region then Roof Rack Ranger will indicate that it has detected an Activity Region- Roof Rack Ranger is now "triggered". Once you return to your Home Location, it will now provide a warning as you approach your home.

If you do not enter an Activity Region and you return Home then Roof Rack Ranger will not provide a warning because it was never "triggered" by traveling into an Activity Region.

Once you set up your Home and your Activity Regions, Roof Rack Ranger can just run in the background of your phone without any user input necessary. It will warn you when needed. You may have some occasional warnings when you don't have gear on your roof, but that's better than no warning at all (example: if you go to a restaurant within an Activity Region but don't have gear on your roof. It would still trigger.)

I hope that helps. If you enjoy the App, we would love your review in the Apple App store.

Cheers,
    -Ryan
    Last edited by bikerx40; 12-21-2013 at 06:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    some comments -

I'd like to have the ability to set it so that it alarmed at any of my garage locations. Perhaps a trigger to say that if you are at a garage location it can be set to arm. For example, if I take my bike to work I want to be careful to park outside instead of driving into the garage. But then when I come back home, I want to not drive into the garage there. In that case, I'm going from a "home" location to a "home" location, but it wouldn't arm, correct?

J.

mtbr platinum member
    John,
    We are currently beta testing a "hazard" pin that you can drop on things like you are describing. For example, a drive through, bank drive through, your work parking garage, etc. You drop the pin on these locations and it will alarm you no matter if you have gone into an activity location or not. It will always warn you just to be safe. When we are done testing it will be released as an update to the app.

Stay tuned and thanks again for your feedback.

-Ryan

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

That would help.

Maybe having an option to automatically include home(s) as a hazard?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    People do this????
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    People do this????
    Go ask your bike shop. Happens all the time. Very easy to do if you have a roof top rack. Anyone that has their bike on top and does it a lot has either done it or come awfully close to doing it at some point.

J.

mtbr platinum member
    Hi All,
    I wanted to let you know that we recently pushed out Roof Rack Ranger app version 1.2.2 to support iOS7. We made some tweaks to our ExacTrack programming which have dramatically improved battery life.

We are also in the final beta testing a "Low Clearance" marker so you can easily mark known low-clearance locations that you frequently use (ATM's, banks, drive-throughs, parking garages, etc.).

Hope you enjoy and thank you for your support and feedback!

Regards,
    -Ryan

mtbr platinum member
    Hi All,
    We're looking for pictures that we can add to the iTunes App store. Tweet @RoofRackRanger a photo showing you and your roof rack and you have a good chance of getting your photo in the App Store! Get creative with it!

Happy Holidays!
    -Ryan

mtbr platinum member
    Jayem,
    Roof Rack Ranger just released iPhone app version 1.3.2 with a new "Hazard Pins" feature. You can drop a hazard pin on any drive thrus, banks, low tree branches, etc. The Roof Rack Ranger app will warn you every time you approach those Hazard Pins.

The app is also free now. The free version allows you one Home and one Activity location to try out. Then, you can upgrade for a couple of bucks to the version with unlimited Home and Activity locations and also add Hazard pin functionality "a-la-carte" if you want that functionality.

We hope you like it!

Cheers,
    -Ryan

Super Clyde

I wish I would have seen this in January, I backed my road bike into the garage and did about $1500 damage.😳. I bought a hitch rack to make sure it doesn't happen again. An app would have been cheaper.

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr platinum member
    askinbum02,
    PM me any photos and we might put your pics on the App store and you can be famous! Sorry, that really stinks and is one of the reasons we created this app. I killed my $3,000 bike by backing through a carport.
    -Ryan

Super Clyde
    Sorry no pics, I was too pissed.