mtbr member

Roof Rack Question

I am an experienced rider but lousy when it comes to tech standards. I just changed to a much smaller car and am interested in the Kuat vagabond rack. How do I determine if my ride will fit the rack? I am concerned about the front fork attachment and wheelbase length as I am on a Tallboy LTc.

Help please.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm not familiar with Kuat and it doesn't look like they have any fitment info on their site. I would certainly get ahold of Kuat or one of their dealers to help with getting the right rack for your car. I work at a store that sells racks and have had a lot of people in the past come in looking for help with putting their rack on their car because they couldn't figure it out and it turned out they bought the wrong parts. Yakima and Thule both have guides on their site that can direct you to what products that they make that will fit your car. I've used both Yakima and Thule in the past and am currently using Yakima products. I've been happy with my Yakima gear and I know they do a decent job of taking care of their customers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
    I'm not familiar with Kuat and it doesn't look like they have any fitment info on their site. I would certainly get ahold of Kuat or one of their dealers to help with getting the right rack for your car. I work at a store that sells racks and have had a lot of people in the past come in looking for help with putting their rack on their car because they couldn't figure it out and it turned out they bought the wrong parts. Yakima and Thule both have guides on their site that can direct you to what products that they make that will fit your car. I've used both Yakima and Thule in the past and am currently using Yakima products. I've been happy with my Yakima gear and I know they do a decent job of taking care of their customers.
    Kuat is on the same level as 1up but has a better aesthetic. 1UP is more scalable (1-3 bike rack folds up), which is a big advantage. I like the Kuat roof feature because it holds two bikes and has a cargo basket. Plus having the bike on the roof eliminates the damage from all but high speed rear end incidents.

1 up has a great single bike roof solution but it looks terrible.

code: mtbr2011
    what type of car do you have?
    also, what type of front fork do you have on your bike? 9mm q/r? 15mm t/a?
    the vagabond's mounting hardware is designed to fit on just about every type of bar system out there, (nissan xterra with the big fat bars are an exception).

the bike mounts that are built-in, use standard 6mm skewers...like the ones on your bike (if you ride a 9mm q/r).

mtbr member
    Kuat recommended the adapter kit from Hurricane. They were great. Parts arrived the next day. Apparently they make the Yakima adapter. Kuat Vagabond X roof rack should arrive this week... Will let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    what type of car do you have?
    also, what type of front fork do you have on your bike? 9mm q/r? 15mm t/a?
    the vagabond's mounting hardware is designed to fit on just about every type of bar system out there, (nissan xterra with the big fat bars are an exception).

the bike mounts that are built-in, use standard 6mm skewers...like the ones on your bike (if you ride a 9mm q/r).
    Tallboy LTc, just downsized to the Subaru Crosstrek.