mtbr member
    May 2005

Rockymounts Pitchfork vs. Sprocket Rocket

I was planning on picking up a set of Yak Sprocket Rockets this week but recently came across the Rockymount Pitchfork and I'm wondering if anyone can provide feedback on the quality and durabilty of the Pitchfork? They look really nice and quiet but I've never seen them in person and have read a few negative reviews on their locking mechanism rusting and being a bit finicky. I've used the Sprocket Rocket on a buddy's car numerous times and they work well. I'll be using with everything from a FS 29er with 20mm thru axl to roadbikes and even my wifes steel cruiser which weighs 33lbs.

I already have spare yak lock cores, and don't really like the idea of carrying another set of keys for the RM lock cores, but the pitchfork looks better imho and might actually clear my garage door, not sure on the yak?

Yak = liftetime warranty, RM = 1 year warranty.

Any thoughts from owners of the Pitchfork?

Thanks

Chris

code: mtbr2011
    I prefer the skewer of the Sprocket Rocket. I believe it to be the strongest and easiest to use of the 2 racks.
    That said, the pitchforks are probably a better overall value....they are almost half the cost, and work very well. We sell alot of them here in the store and haven't had any problems that couldn't be solved pretty quickly.

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by igere View Post
    I was planning on picking up a set of Yak Sprocket Rockets this week but recently came across the Rockymount Pitchfork and I'm wondering if anyone can provide feedback on the quality and durabilty of the Pitchfork? They look really nice and quiet but I've never seen them in person and have read a few negative reviews on their locking mechanism rusting and being a bit finicky. I've used the Sprocket Rocket on a buddy's car numerous times and they work well. I'll be using with everything from a FS 29er with 20mm thru axl to roadbikes and even my wifes steel cruiser which weighs 33lbs.

I already have spare yak lock cores, and don't really like the idea of carrying another set of keys for the RM lock cores, but the pitchfork looks better imho and might actually clear my garage door, not sure on the yak?

Yak = liftetime warranty, RM = 1 year warranty.

Any thoughts from owners of the Pitchfork?

Thanks

Chris
    I've been using pitch fork racks for two years. They are low profile quiet on the car and work perfectly. I would say overall I'm extremely satisfied.

I have had to replace the skewers a couple time due to problems with the locks. But not from rust, I've never experienced any rust at all. The problem with the locks was that they would gradually get to where the key would not turn when the skewers were clamped tight.

One phone call to RM and I had new skewers and locks each time this happened even though the racks were out of warranty.
    RM has resolved the problem and I've had no issue with the new lock cores/skewers.

They redesigned their lock cores and this last time they sent replacements for all the cores I own so that I only have one key for all locks, even though they had no reason to do so other than excellent customer service.

I'd buy there product again and recommend their product to anyone.