mtbr member
    Sep 2013

rockymounts brass knuckles

Hi-

I was reviewing roof racks and came across this quick review from Jan. The release says "Spring 2014". but I cannot find them anywhere.

Is anyone aware of updates on availability of the RockyMounts Brass Knuckles? Has anyone checked them out in person?

Thanks,

Sconie
    I was told they wouldn't be out until mid July when I emailed them a month or so ago. I couldn't find any info other than the initial impressions from the typical new/review sites.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The first shipment will arrive on August 7th. I'll let you know my thoughts shortly thereafter, as I've pre-ordered a set in black.
    :-)

I went to the shop to take a look.
    They look a lot like the Thule racks, with the metal piece that you pull up to grab the back of the front tire. There are a few slight differences. It looks like the ratchet is rotated 90 degrees,. In addition, the arm is designed to stop right at the front of the tray. The result is the arm and ratchet lie flat within the plane of the tray. I think this is where they get their aerodynamic claim. (Note, I asked... they did not put these in a wind tunnel.)

I really like the way the racks strap to aero-bars. The mounting issues I had with the 1ups was one of the reason I returned them.

The pics are of a prototype RockyMounts has in their main shop (where they also see Thule). They are adding an additional strap in the front to secure the front wheel. FWIW, the guy told me in a rare, gusty situation while driving on the highway, the front wheel can come out of alignment from the tray. I believe this is based on their experience with Thule.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sweet. I just got a Rockymounts pitchfork for my CX bike the other day (never having heard of them before) and it seems much higher quality than the Yakima and Thule racks I've got.
    Would love to get this for the mountain bike.
    2011 Giant Trance X3 "Andre"
    2013 Rocky Mountain SoloCX "Han"

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    They are on the water and due on Sep 7th... we shall see....

Sconie
    I'm glad that got a 1up roof rack to hold me over until these showed up, I initially thought they would be available early in the season. I still have some on preorder and plan to run 2 brass knuckles and 1 1up on my roof, but needed a wheels on tray with fatbike capability to hold me over as my current trays don't allow for 15mm TA or Fatbikes without adapters.

Hopefully they end up being worth the wait.