mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Requesting Advice on Roof Rack mount options for 29er with front shock

Hi All,

I have a Specialized Epic 29er and I need some suggestions for Roof Rack mount options. I currently use a 15+ year old Thule fork mounted tray (looks sort of like PELETON model) for my road bike and my rigid fork 26" mountain bike (which does not have disc brakes).

Is it possible to use a Thule fork mounted tray with a Reba rockshock fork with a disc brake caliper?

If not, I am considering the Thule SIDEARM 594XT or the BIG MOUTH 599XTR. I like the security of the fork mount, as I am worried that with the SIDEARM 594XT it might be possible for a potential thief to remove the front wheel quick release and then steal the bike. Thus, I thought perhaps the Bigmouth 599xtr might afford more security that the Sidearm. I generally don't leave my rack mounted bike long, but want to feel secure if I need to leave it for 15 minutes to go into a store or something.

Any suggestions / insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

jackx

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A little custom forming of the Tray and you'll be fine. Hacksaw and a file.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Most of the time the bike will fit fine without doing anything to the tray. I have yakima sidewinders (not made for disc brakes) and my mtb fits.
    If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do.

Warren Miller

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks, guys!

Since my bike has 9mm QR skewers, I think it should be OK. I just read in Thule literature which indicates that the Echelon 518 and Peleton 517 have "versatile design fits most disc brake and suspension combinations with standard 9mm axels.

BUt in the event that in the future, I or others are comparing the Thule SIDEARM 594XT and the BIG MOUTH 599XTR, I would greatly appreciate any reasons why anyone feels that one is better than the other. Of course, I understand that the Big mouth 599XTR may not work for some bikes geometry.

Thanks for your quick and insightful replies!

-jackx

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jackx
    Thanks, guys!

BUt in the event that in the future, I or others are comparing the Thule SIDEARM 594XT and the BIG MOUTH 599XTR, I would greatly appreciate any reasons why anyone feels that one is better than the other. Of course, I understand that the Big mouth 599XTR may not work for some bikes geometry.

Thanks for your quick and insightful replies!

-jackx
    sidearm is easier to load for sure and more stable than a big mouth.
    big mouth is a decent rack...can't recommend it for any composite/carbon fiber frames because of the amount of pressure it would exert onto the downtube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi All,

Thanks for all your insight. My 20 year old first generation Thule did not work as there were clearance issues with the tray and the front disc brake caliper. Luckily the shop was able to sell me a Thule 517 Peloton head unit, which I attached to my current tray. It only cost me $35 instead of investing in a Thule SIDEARM 594XT or a BIG MOUTH 599XTR.

Best regards,
    jackx

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you have the 9 mm QR the mounts you have will work. The tray will need a little material removed to clear the caliper. It took me about 15 minutes with a marker, dremel tool, and file for the first one. and 5 minutes for the second.