Thread: Rental Car

mtbr member

Rental Car

My wife and I are taking a vacation in august and for part of it we will be in a rental car with my DH bike (2012 Demo 8). Can I get the bike in a fullsize car (Chevy malibu, impala, ford fusion), with minimal disassembly (wheels)? We were going to rent a truck, but full size cars are going for $140 less than a truck.
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    What about a crossover or compact wagon with fold flat rear seats. Much better than a sedan.

Have done that in an impreza hatchback. And it's considered a compact.

mtbr member
    I looked at them and they are $100 to $200 more than a truck! the only think that comes close in price is a rav4 and it is $70 more.
    S-Works all the bikes!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    That makes no sense. You are looking at the rental pages wrong.

A 5dr wagon should be less than a fullsize, and far less than a truck. Focus's are common rentals, get a 5dr Focus wagon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    FWIW we have a Gen2 Prius and fairly easily fit our two 26" XC bikes with wheels removed and a blanket between them. Not too much room for luggage unless you've got smaller soft bags stuffed in corners. But when I recently rented a car at Denver Intrnational Airport, the hybrid (Prius/CMax) was cheaper even than a Corolla. Pickup and minivan were very expensive. That was with Budget. So for one bike, even a longer travel DH, a Prius or similar 4 door hatch should be fine. Our Prius also easily swallows one 29-er with wheel removed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Menel View Post
    That makes no sense. You are looking at the rental pages wrong.

A 5dr wagon should be less than a fullsize, and far less than a truck. Focus's are common rentals, get a 5dr Focus wagon.
    I promise I'm not looking at the pages wrong, I'm an experienced internet user.
    On enterprise's page Economy Starts at $410.57 and increases to a full size at $479.81. Here is the crazy part, a premium is $320.20.
    A compact truck is $336 and a full size is 359.40

If I go to one of the discount sites, a full size is 188 and a truck is 302
    S-Works all the bikes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dman_mb1 View Post
    FWIW we have a Gen2 Prius and fairly easily fit our two 26" XC bikes with wheels removed and a blanket between them. Not too much room for luggage unless you've got smaller soft bags stuffed in corners. But when I recently rented a car at Denver Intrnational Airport, the hybrid (Prius/CMax) was cheaper even than a Corolla. Pickup and minivan were very expensive. That was with Budget. So for one bike, even a longer travel DH, a Prius or similar 4 door hatch should be fine. Our Prius also easily swallows one 29-er with wheel removed.
    I just don't want to reserve like a compact or intermediate hoping for a Focus hatch and get like a cruze or something. We recently took a trip and we reserved a compact, which was marketed as a corolla and when we got there they said it was going to be like a chevy spark or something. I complained about it and got a cruze. Our friends got a focus that you could easily get a bike in, but we would have been hard pressed to get a DH bike in the cruze.

I reserved the premium, because I feel with a reasonable level of certainty I can get the bike in the back seat, plus this rental allows me to return it to a different, easier location to where we will be staying. But returning it to the airport could save $50-$70, but take 2.5 hours of our time.
    Last edited by JoshS; 07-15-2015 at 07:47 AM.
    S-Works all the bikes!

mtbr member
    We had a Dodge Caliber rental a few years ago-not much fun to drive but with the seats down a bike fit in the back just fine...take a look at Chrysler Minivan rental options, maybe through a dealership. They have a ton of room and are surprisingly comfortable to travel in.