Dirt Huffer

Reliability of newer Focus?

Wondering what the reliability is of the 2010+ Focus. I'm looking for a new car and not finding much info on problems associated with the new body style.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My girlfriend drives a 2012 and so far it's been solid. Hasn't needed anything aside from oil changes, she's around 20k miles at this point I believe. Gas mileage has been impressive, mixed driving she is averaging 35mpg or so. Got up to 46mpg on a road trip using cruise control.

One issue that she has is that the foam covering the speakers in the rear are basically disintegrating already. Obviously doesn't effect driving, and she hasn't talked to her dealer to see if they will do anything about it yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    My girlfriend drives a 2012 and so far it's been solid. Hasn't needed anything aside from oil changes, she's around 20k miles at this point I believe. Gas mileage has been impressive, mixed driving she is averaging 35mpg or so. Got up to 46mpg on a road trip using cruise control.

One issue that she has is that the foam covering the speakers in the rear are basically disintegrating already. Obviously doesn't effect driving, and she hasn't talked to her dealer to see if they will do anything about it yet.
    My wife has a 12, and it has also been solid so far. I have noticed the foam over the rear speakers falling apart also. She has about 25k on it. The trans is odd, and takes a bit of getting used to (it's an automatically shifted manual) with computer controlled clutch and shifting. I'm assuming thats what contributes to the great fuel mileage along with the car feeling pretty peppy for what it is.

My two biggest complaints with it are that the trans is very noisy when it shifts, mostly between first and 2nd, and 2nd and 3rd. Of course Ford calls it "normal". The other complaint is that the center stack in the dash is too wide and impedes legroom too much. It feels like the gas pedal is behind the center of the dash and I hate driving it long distances, just too cramped. Even the passenger side legroom is too cramped IMO.

mtbr member
    It gets slammed by Consumer Reports for reliability but the problems pertain almost entirely to the Ford Sync voice and bluetooth system, an option you don't even have to get (unless you buy a top o' the line model) I wish they'd do a rating without the connectivity option and give a reliability rating based on that--at least it would give a real picture of how decent a car it is. (or isn't) It's reportedly a nice driving/riding car, with good handling and a reasonably quiet ride.

The dual-clutch auto tranny is the one "real," issue with these cars that I'm aware of-it has been problematic. ferguson65, if you haven't had the dealer take a look at it recently, might be worth a follow up. I don't know if you've had the latest fixes done. They're still working on dialing the thing in-newer ones should hopefully be better.

It does have narrow "cockpit style" passenger space and can feel a bit cramped-I'm with you on that one. I'm a small guy (just over 5'6" so it's not bad for me but I could see it being a problem for bigger/taller folk.

I'm seriously considering a new Transit Connect van (built on the focus platform) for my next vehicle. It looks like a real decent camping/bike hauler and is predicted to get 30+mpg highway! Looks just like a Focus in the passenger area, big ol' box behind that.

Reliability of newer Focus?-11983897364_77fdb1bb14_b%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    It gets slammed by Consumer Reports for reliability but the problems pertain almost entirely to the Ford Sync voice and bluetooth system, an option you don't even have to get (unless you buy a top o' the line model) I wish they'd do a rating without the connectivity option and give a reliability rating based on that--at least it would give a real picture of how decent a car it is. (or isn't) It's reportedly a nice driving/riding car, with good handling and a reasonably quiet ride.
    As far as the SYNC goes my wife has not had any issues with it that I've been made aware of. Sometimes it has trouble with long multi syllable names with the voice activation but nothing is perfect. Hers is just SYNC, not My Ford Touch.

There is a lot of flaming going on online about the My Ford Touch. I have it in my 2013 F350 and its been fairly problem free. I had a few little issues but the latest update seemed to resolve that. I also don't have a smartphone, so I don't use everything the system is capable of. I have no complaints with the system and wouldn't be afraid to buy it again. I think consumer reports can get a bit out of control with their reviews.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

Did I catch a niner?
    Quote Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
    The other complaint is that the center stack in the dash is too wide and impedes legroom too much. It feels like the gas pedal is behind the center of the dash and I hate driving it long distances, just too cramped. Even the passenger side legroom is too cramped IMO.
    Couldn't agree more. I am about 5' 10" more leg than torso and have a tough time in one of these. A friend got a 2013 SE as a rental and I just hated it. I did notice the transmission more so from 1st to 2nd.

On the flipside my mother has a 2010 sedan and this has tons of room inside front/back.
    Last edited by Mr Pink57; 01-22-2014 at 10:52 AM.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    As far as the SYNC goes my wife has not had any issues with that I've been made aware of. Sometimes it has trouble with long multi syllable names with the voice activation but nothing is perfect. Hers is just SYNC, not My Ford Touch.

There is a lot of flaming going on online about the My Ford Touch. I have it in my 2013 F350 and its been fairly problem free. I had a few little issues but the latest update seemed to resolve that. I also don't have a smartphone, so I don't use everything the system is capable of. I have no complaints with the system and wouldn't be afraid to buy it again. I think consumer reports can get a bit out of control with their reviews.
    Yeah, it's all about percentages--I believe 15% of Focus buyers reported issues with Sync/Touch connectivity, and that was sufficiently higher than the number of people reporting issues with its competitors to downgrade the cars ratings.

My current vehicle is terrible-last place in every review it's been in, made a 10 worst cars you should never buy list, etc, etc. But it's been a pretty good vehicle for me--a couple of issues early on that were resolved by the dealer under warranty, and one trip to the dealer for a throttle body cleaning when the idle got rough last winter.

In one of the articles I read about how horrible it was, they made an interesting point, which speaks back to the Focus reviews. That there really are no unreliable cars made any more. Even the worst-rated new car is tons better than what we could buy a couple of decades ago. The best and worst cars in a review might only be separated by a few percentile point on a score card...

...Consumer Reports rates cars based on owners reported experiences, but their rating system is comparative-basically a 5-star system. I think the one thing they could do differently is include specifics about what the issues are, and the percentage of people reporting them. Might make those of us who own bottom-rated cars sleep a little bit better. B-)

(my current vehicle is a 2008 Chevy Colorado pickup. It's not a great vehicle but it's a pretty decent truck)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Good job!

I have a 2012, 5 speed about to turn over 50K miles.

I have had an issue with the cruise control intermittently not working, the dealer ordered parts. I haven't been back to finalize. Otherwise it's taken oil changes and 1 air filter it's been reliable.

The Ford Sync 2 years ago when this model came out was suspect so I chose not to get it. The dual clutch transmission was troublesome for many with Ford reflashing their software, but I'm not sure if they actually fixed it. I spent weeks on the forums reading real world problems before I purchased, I chose to stay away from the two biggest sources of issues, I wasn't interested in an auto anyway.

Handles well, very economic and the optional 17's (I have an SE) are a good deal and change the look of the car. Handles the 1UP rack well too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I can't talk a b out the reliability of the newer Focus, but I had a 2003 that went 100,000 with no problems, that was an awesome car for what it was. I sold it a few years back, but still see it on the road once in a while.

Dirt Huffer
    So safest bet is to look for one with a manual tranny and NO Ford Sync voice and bluetooth system (?) - i hate devices like this anyways.

mtbr member
    I think the dual-clutch automatic is an optional upgrade not standard, so if you prefer an automatic, just make sure you get the other one. Or if you prefer a standard shift anyway, yeah, that works...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I don't think they offer a regular slush box in this car.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    So safest bet is to look for one with a manual tranny and NO Ford Sync voice and bluetooth system (?) - i hate devices like this anyways.
    I dunno... I think Ford Sync is pretty swank. I've rented a bunch of Fords over the years, and I think it's super handy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    I'd pick the manual trans over the auto any day of the week, be it the current Focus trans or a typical automatic. But thats for fun factor in a car like this. The one we have is my wife's and she can't drive stick and doesn't care one bit if it's "fun" or not.

Don't be scared of the SYNC. It really is a great hands free system. But thats all both my wife and I use it for. Her car is almost 3 years old with no sync issues, and my truck with the My Ford Touch is almost a year old with no dealer visits. I did do an update to the truck, but it was as simple as downloading it to a flash drive and plugging it into a USB slot.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    I don't think they offer a regular slush box in this car.
    X2.

It's the automatic (which really isn't an automatic) or the typical manual trans. There's no typical automatic as standard or optional.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

ballbuster
    X2.

It's the automatic (which really isn't an automatic) or the typical manual trans. There's no typical automatic as standard or optional.
    VW/Audi had some issues with the control stuff early on with their dual clutch automatic, but those were mostly ironed out. Mechanically, those transmissions are super solid. Even the clutch plates seem to be good for the life of the car.

I have never heard of one failing, only the control modules had issues on the first rev. One downside is that they do require some regular maintenance, and that service is kinda expensive. On the plus side, it actually gets better mileage than the manual, and accelerates 0-60 faster than the manual.

I wonder how the Ford dual clutch auto compares? It was developed with Luk, who also did the VW transmission, IIRC.

Me, I'm a manual kinda guy, and so is my wife... but not a guy. I hope I never have to own an automatic transmission. I'm hoping to go directly to an electric car that has no transmission. Singlespeed car!!

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    My good friend is the Gen Mgr of a Ford dealership. A month ago, I took interest in the Focus, specifically the SE and mentioned something to him. The next day (a Sat.), I got a call that said look out your window. I did and there was a brand new blue 2014 Focus SE in my driveway and a key fob hanging on my door. I drove that thing Ken Block style all day before I dropped it off. I loved it! Thing hauled ass and handled phenomenally well for such a little go cart. I was up and running on SYNC within about 10 minutes of taking the seat for the first time. I was oping for some cool paddle shifters but the SE only sports a manual 6 spd. The other drawback was the dual exhaust dumps right out in the center of the bumper which looked like it might be an issue for a solid hitch mount for a bike rack. I'll have to query my other good friend that owns a trailer dealership.

Alberto, can the load capacity of your Focus handle 2 bikes...or possibly 4?

btw...my Ford buddy says they are getting very little to no warranty work in on these and pretty much all the Ford product...aside from the 6.0L diesel! They are struggling to keep their bays full of repair work so they are actually beating the streets for ANY repair work, regardless of manufacturer. I find that to be a true story having 4 Ford trucks in my inventory ranging from a '98 Ranger 4x4, F150 Lariat 4x4, and an F450 and none of them having less than 180k.

mtbr member
    Re. automatics, in the specs, they list two options-a "6-speed PowerShift Automatic" and a "6-speed PowerShift Automatic with SelectShift™ Manual Control" So those are both dual clutch units?

2014 Ford Focus | View Full Specification Library | Ford.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Re. automatics, in the specs, they list two options-a "6-speed PowerShift Automatic" and a "6-speed PowerShift Automatic with SelectShift™ Manual Control" So those are both dual clutch units?

2014 Ford Focus | View Full Specification Library | Ford.com
    Yes. Same trans. I'm assuming the difference is the shifter. The lower end ones you get D,2,1. The higher end ones have a dedicated full manual mode. My wife's SEL has the full manual mode and it's fun to use.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    My good friend is the Gen Mgr of a Ford dealership. A month ago, I took interest in the Focus, specifically the SE and mentioned something to him. The next day (a Sat.), I got a call that said look out your window. I did and there was a brand new blue 2014 Focus SE in my driveway and a key fob hanging on my door. I drove that thing Ken Block style all day before I dropped it off. I loved it! Thing hauled ass and handled phenomenally well for such a little go cart. I was up and running on SYNC within about 10 minutes of taking the seat for the first time. I was oping for some cool paddle shifters but the SE only sports a manual 6 spd. The other drawback was the dual exhaust dumps right out in the center of the bumper which looked like it might be an issue for a solid hitch mount for a bike rack. I'll have to query my other good friend that owns a trailer dealership.

Alberto, can the load capacity of your Focus handle 2 bikes...or possibly 4?

btw...my Ford buddy says they are getting very little to no warranty work in on these and pretty much all the Ford product...aside from the 6.0L diesel! They are struggling to keep their bays full of repair work so they are actually beating the streets for ANY repair work, regardless of manufacturer. I find that to be a true story having 4 Ford trucks in my inventory ranging from a '98 Ranger 4x4, F150 Lariat 4x4, and an F450 and none of them having less than 180k.
    Pretty much any car should be able to handle 4 bikes. 1 1/4" hitch racks are mostly limited to 2 bikes, but you can put 2 or 3 on roof racks, not to mention putting bikes in the back of the car if the trunk is big enough. Weight isn't a problem. 4 bikes weigh less than an adult.

Heh, and you're right about the bigger trucks. Our f550 altec boom truck is on its third transmission in 90k miles. We used to crawl it up a couple of mountain roads to work on some radio repeater sites, and that killed the transmissions in short order. I started loading up my Audi wagon with tools and use that car instead for that service work. Oddly, the Audi wagon spends way less time spinning wheels on he loose dirt steep fire roads than the f550 in 4wd mode. (Plus, the company pays me around $60 in mileage and it only takes $15 in gas to get there and back! )

mtbr member
    Yes. Same trans. I'm assuming the difference is the shifter. The lower end ones you get D,2,1. The higher end ones have a dedicated full manual mode. My wife's SEL has the full manual mode and it's fun to use.
    Thanks for the clarification-that makes sense...

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    I've driven several rentals so take that experience for what it's worth. The Focus I drove in El Paso was in "Economy Mode" seemed like it was always going to stall but in normal mode it was great. Also, the wheel well liner popped out (I may or may not have driven over a curb first) when I was driving out of a parking lot. Other Focus's I've driven had no similar issues. Generally they seem like solid little cars.