mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Recommendations for a cost effective 2 bike truck rack for Lexus IS 250?

I had an SUV at one point and would just toss bikes in the back with the seat folded down. I now find myself with this sedan after my truck bit the dust two winters ago. I'm looking for something cost effective. Read that as cheap, but no so cheap that I'll hate it. Maybe in the sub $100 range? I don't have an option for a trail hitch without some modification (using muffler bracket). All those strap clips on trunk racks makes me nervous, but I guess that's the current trend. I'd also rather not go roof for money considerations. Thanks!

Your Best Friend
    Your budget is severly limiting. As a guy who used to sell racks, I can't remember many that were in that range and they were all "strap on" trunk racks. If you're hoping for something different than that, I think you're stuck looking at used. Even then it'll be tough.

My questions to you are these...how much did you pay for your car? How much did you pay for your bike? Do you like them? Want to keep them in good condition? Can you replace your bike at any moment?

Now you need to re-evaluate how much you're willing to spend on a rack.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Your budget is severly limiting. As a guy who used to sell racks, I can't remember many that were in that range and they were all "strap on" trunk racks. If you're hoping for something different than that, I think you're stuck looking at used. Even then it'll be tough.

My questions to you are these...how much did you pay for your car? How much did you pay for your bike? Do you like them? Want to keep them in good condition? Can you replace your bike at any moment?

Now you need to re-evaluate how much you're willing to spend on a rack.
    Well, I guess that answers that question. I've already seen a few Yakima and Bell truck racks for under $100, but I guess I'll take the word from a former salesman that I could get a better one. Just kind of hard to justify because I'm not carrying a $3k bike. I'm carrying a Sub $700. bike. I would have preferred to stay under 15% of the value of the bike, but maybe that's not the way to look at it.

How much did I pay for my car? Do I like it? I get that those were rhetorical, but they come off a little condescending too.

Your Best Friend
    No, it's meant to mean that a strap on rack will inevitably scratch the sh!t out of your car. If you like your car, don't use one of those racks.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have an is 250 , I got the saris bones 3 and a bunch of microfiber rags, problem solved. You can find a used one on craigslist for around $100 . unless you are driving off road or on extremely rough roads , it should suit you well. I also remove the rack after every ride, which is a pita but best way to avoid paint fade and scratches

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    saris and seasucker make very different but both good racks for non-permanent mounting. search for a used one to make your price point--saris will be easier to find used than seasucker.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    There are some Saris Bones 2-bike on Ebay for around $90-100 with shipping. Looks pretty substantial as far as these types of racks go. Saw a couple used ones on Amazon too. Good tip. I actually have a neoprene tablet pouch that could probably double as a pedal cover too. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had a saris bones rack in college. It held 3 bikes and it was really secure, the only issue was that it scratched the living hell out of my car. I even used microfiber rags. My car wasn't that nice though, so I didn't sweat it so much, but if I had a Lexus, I'd probably try to keep it a bit nicer.

Maybe look for a used roof rack setup? For my BMW, I bought my crossbars and trays used and then just bought the footpacks for my specific car. That strategy might work for you too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I actually found a used Saris Bones 2-bike on my local Craigslist for $60. I'll have to really look into the foot contacts though, as it seems everyone is mentioning possible scratches. Thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    In the long run, roof racks scratch at the foot pads too. Every trunk mounted rack I've ever used scratched a litle bit. I just had to learn how to adjust it so it wouldn't move as bad. The presence of a spoiler makes any trunk rack a complete pain. If you have a spoiler, I'd definitely consider the roof rack or better yet, hitch rack.

The link is for a curt hitch rack for lexus. you could possibly find a used one or call around junk yard or pic-n-pulls to get a used one. It covers a fair amount of years, so there should be something out there. No extra crazy brackets or anything. Just a litle hastle getting under the exhaust.
    CURT Manufacturing - CURT Trailer Hitch #11372