Must be available in the UK
    Happy with 3 door.

Help !

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Pfft. Car's for sissy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    BMW 335d. Might be out of the price range....but finding a fast car that gets close to 30 mpgs aint easy
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

Elitest thrill junkie
    WRX is close with the mpg and 4 seat requirement, but it's a little short on rear space (better than previous generation) and mileage. Not sure about the rails for the drag-maker up top, but it can take a hitch.

Isn't there a 328 wagon avail about now? That would work well and fit all the requirements.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

steep fast and loose :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    WRX is close with the mpg and 4 seat requirement, but it's a little short on rear space (better than previous generation) and mileage. Not sure about the rails for the drag-maker up top, but it can take a hitch.

Isn't there a 328 wagon avail about now? That would work well and fit all the requirements.
    335d, noted as is the new 328 but doubt the 328 will break 6 secs....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks View Post
    335d, noted as is the new 328 but doubt the 328 will break 6 secs....
    It's turbo, it will break 6 seconds.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    IS the 0-60 for bragging rights or are you going to race the car?

I like to press on Kilroy, thanks.....

Elitest thrill junkie
    The turbo 3-series will be plenty quick to 80mph. Above 80, it will drop off rather fast. It will surely reach well into the triple digits, but the acceleration won't be anything great at that point. The real question is: Where is a car the funnest? Is it 0-80, or 80-140? 0-80 is what everyone drives day to day. A smart auto trans with the 240hp and it's hard-hitting torque will beat most cars off the line and to 60, and you'll hit the brakes to keep from going recklessly fast before they pass you, not to mention all the fun that will be on most roads and situations. Although it wasn't 2wd, my subaru with it's shorter gearing was more fun in a lot of situations than my 420+hp monster, even though that monster car actually handles damn well and holds a turn better. The subaru was faster in the practical situations where you could use the power, taking off from a stop, "punching" it at low speeds, on-ramps, not having to downshift-but watching turbo pressure rise to meet demands, etc. I have to downshift the monster at least a few gears to get the RPM high enough where the engine likes to be for acceleration. Not so with the WRX, anywhere in between 2500-3000 and it goes like stink. Below about 2500 it has to spool up to really start accelerating fast, but those issues are pretty much nonexistent on newer turbo cars like the BMW. The thing is that with good throttle/wheel management, that 3 series will take off like it got kicked in the rear. That won't hold until insane speeds, but no one is going to drive like that, and even if you're driving a car capable of much more on a track, it STILL won't get to much faster speeds, it will just get to those speeds and barely above faster, to make up the time.

I think the 3-series would come the closest to the "total package" you are talking about above, involving handling, performance, room, etc. The 3 series is pretty decent in the rear, the 5 series is barely usably bigger IMO, both are miles ahead of things like the MS3 and WRX.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What about the new Focus ST? not sure about the roof rails, but it's got the rest of your requirements covered.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatson View Post
    What about the new Focus ST? not sure about the roof rails, but it's got the rest of your requirements covered.
    I have ford focus rental car right now. It's not intended for rear seat passengers, it HAS 4 seats, but I wouldn't recommend it for carrying anyone in the rear. I've ridden in my brothers 328 plenty and it's not bad in that respect, the new 328 is even bigger. The Focus RS is a fun-car for people that don't have kids or that have kids and will sell the car a little down the road as those kids grow. The front wheel drive is annoying too.

Wanderer
    Focus ST does not do sub 6 secs to 60 (mph, no clue on kph)tho. Or roof rails i believe.

mtbr member
    WRX probably won't get close to 28 mpg real world driving, (maybe imperial gallons?) I have a naturally aspirated 4 cyl in 2009 outback and it averages 26. Mazda 3 might be worth a look.

mtbr member
    After checking the Mazda website, the speed 3 doesn't get 28 mpg either. Also no roof rack but they are easy to add to a hatchback.

Thanks, must have rails. Seats 4 is fine, no kids...

mtbr member
    Volvo V50? Probably has the MPG but just shy of sub 6 sec.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    WRX wont get 28 mpg combined. It doesnt even get 28 hwy, especially with roof racks. Focus ST is close to 28 combined if believe, maybe 26. It will do 0-60 in 6 flat according to Car&Driver. Of course its FWD so its not very competitive to some other sports compacts in my book.

You may want to wait for the next gen wrx to come out. It should do much better on the MPG's with the 2.0 direct injection motor and 6 spd manual it is supposed to have.

Also, WRX does not have rails, but it does have direct mount points for roof racks so they bolt directly to the roof. I bet you could get rails that mount to those.

Im pretty sure there are not current offerings the meet every one of your requirements.
    2013 Motobecane Fantom Team DS

Noobie
    Only SUV's and Wagons have roof racks built into the car no? I don't ever remember seeing a coupe or sedan with them. Mounting points yes, but not a roof rack straight from the factory.

Carbon or Commie?
    Must have sub 6 seconds 0-60
    Must have rails
    Minimum 28mpg combined.
    Must have 4 seats.
    Must be less than 40,000 new cost.
    Happy with 3 door.

Help !
    0-60 mph or kph?

mpg, imperial gallons or u.s. gallons?

mph
    imperial g

thinking about an audi S3 sportback [it has rails]

Elitest thrill junkie
    Btw, the 328 wagon/sedan DOES do 0-60 in less than 6. Much bigger than a golf, and ive always thought the lower end audis were overpriced for what you get (compared to the higher end ones that are cheaper than their competition ). I don't know of any 3-doors that have decent rear seats, most are for hobbits and smaller things.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Must have sub 6 seconds 0-60
    Must have rails
    Minimum 28mpg combined.
    Must have 4 seats.
    Must be less than 40,000 new cost.
    Happy with 3 door.

Help !
    Asking us Yanks to car shop for you in the UK is pretty lazy and dumb. We don't know your own market as good as you do.

hope you like a Diesel (I do)....

BMW 330d

Ted, this board is universal.... 330d is an option...

mtbr member
    Volvo C30R. Doesn't have rails, but has integrated mountain points for crossbars. My brother used those on his old V70 and said the work great. Also, rails may be aftermarket option? (I have an '05 V70R and it fits the bill....except the gas mileage requirement! It was not supposed to come with rails, but I was able to have them dealer-installed.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I would like to recommend Ferrari with Formula 1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast