mtbr member

Rear rack for VW Jetta?

Long story short: I have a Ford Escape, and the overdrive in the transmission went out a few weeks ago, and now it slips and I can't go over 50 mph in it. Its got a ton of miles on it and is worth next to nothing, so I'm not replacing the transmission, I'm just driving it until it dies. The problem is, this was my vehicle for transporting all my bikes.

My fiance has a VW Jetta, and I was wondering what is a good, solid removable rear bike rack that would be good for that car? I need something capable of supporting heavy dual crown DH rigs. I only really need to use the VW for this season until we replace the escape next year.

Thanks for any help!

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by mudforlunch View Post
    Long story short: I have a Ford Escape, and the overdrive in the transmission went out a few weeks ago, and now it slips and I can't go over 50 mph in it. Its got a ton of miles on it and is worth next to nothing, so I'm not replacing the transmission, I'm just driving it until it dies. The problem is, this was my vehicle for transporting all my bikes.

My fiance has a VW Jetta, and I was wondering what is a good, solid removable rear bike rack that would be good for that car? I need something capable of supporting heavy dual crown DH rigs. I only really need to use the VW for this season until we replace the escape next year.

Thanks for any help!
    I had a Saris Bones rack on my old VW that worked well. Rear trunk racks scare me though!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Allen racks are on Amazon, are Prime eligible and get decent reviews everywhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a saris bones that fits nicely on my Mark-IV (2002) VW Jetta. Quite solid, and I've never been worried about it.