mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Raxter or 1Up - How to lock bikes on??

Hi folks. I'm debating these two racks as I want a rack which does not secure the bike via the downtube. I was curious how I would secure the bikes to the rack to help cut down on the possibility of theft?

I have a Thule T2 on my wife's Ford Flex Ltd. and I love the built in cable locks. However, I need something much lighter for the tiny 14" wheeled subcompact I drive back and forth to work. I just want to make sure that I can effectively lock the bike on there. Any advice before I pull the trigger on one of these?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You could get a cable lock and run the cable through your hitch's safety chain loops and then around your bike.

Also, you can do the same with a chain and a couple of u-locks: one u-lock through the safety chain loop on your hitch and one u-lock though the rear triangle of your bike. Run a chain in between the two u-locks. The Kryptonite chains that come with the mini u-locks work well for this, the mini u-lock would go on the hitch and you'd have to get another larger u-lock to use on your bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I use a four sided case hardened chain. My bike rides on my car almost 7 days a week. On my bike, I couldn't find a u-lock that was large enough to reach from the tray (or locking arm) of the 1up to my rear triangle. That's why I went with the chain. Not theft-proof but better than cable.