Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Rack suggestions needed for BMW X5

I have a 2013 BMW X5 x50i M-Sport....the M-Sport adds in some aluminum rails on the roof (standard is some slightly raised black ones, I believe)...pic below of that.

Ideally, I would like to find something to carry my Soma Juice and another bike..My daughters have bikes but if we go biking as a family it will be in the Sienna. I picked up the Yakima King Joe Pro 3. It fits on my X5 but the top hooks go directly over the rear deck lid. I am not sure that this is a good thing. Also, it looks like the Soma Juice (due to the frame design) dips the front wheel down a bit much (or does it)....it also fits the Sienna.

Guess I need to know if you think the King Joe is ok for the X5 or not....Roof mounting really isnt an option nor is hitch because I dont want to buy two transport systems.

What would you do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rack suggestions needed for BMW X5-dw0_1725.jpg  

Rack suggestions needed for BMW X5-rack1.jpg  

Rack suggestions needed for BMW X5-rack2.jpg  

★★★★ My 2012 Soma Juice build ★★★★

mtbr member
    First of all, that's an awesome vehicle. I'm thinking of trading in my 335i for one.

Second, doesn't BMW make an interior solution for transporting bikes? I thought I read that somewhere. When I drove SUVs, I usually transported my bike inside with a fork mount bolted to a 2X4. I could carry two bikes easily inside.

When I had multiple riders with me, I had a bombproof Yakima roof rack that held 4 bikes.

For a single bike, look for an interior solution if you're OK with that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks. I cam from a 550i M-Sport and love it. Not sure if an inside option is offered for the X5 or not.

This is actually what I'm leaning towards now.

(No Hitch) Rear Mount Bike Rack Pic's - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

I can't fit my kids 24" bikes in the trunk so if all four of us are going to be biking ill just have to take my wife's van.

Ninja Master Powers
    I have a X5M. BMW sells a rack that bolts (and locks) to the two towing islets under the covers on the rear bumper. The rack is hydraulic so it moves out if the way so that you can get the hatch open and get into the rear cargo area; it works even with bikes on the rack.

It's a bit pricey but only about 150.00ish more than a Thule roof rack system.

The only downside is the BMW rack will only carry two bikes.

There is a BMW dealer in Maine I think that sells OEM BMW parts on-line at a good discount, I got the BamW rack through them at about 15% off IIRCC.

I'd post a link for you but I'm on my iPad and don't remember the site name. But go over to xoutpost.com you'll find it there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post
    I have a X5M. BMW sells a rack that bolts (and locks) to the two towing islets under the covers on the rear bumper. The rack is hydraulic so it moves out if the way so that you can get the hatch open and get into the rear cargo area; it works even with bikes on the rack.

It's a bit pricey but only about 150.00ish more than a Thule roof rack system.

The only downside is the BMW rack will only carry two bikes.

There is a BMW dealer in Maine I think that sells OEM BMW parts on-line at a good discount, I got the BamW rack through them at about 15% off IIRCC.

I'd post a link for you but I'm on my iPad and don't remember the site name. But go over to xoutpost.com you'll find it there.
    Like the one I posted above?

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    First of all, that's an awesome vehicle. I'm thinking of trading in my 335i for one.

Second, doesn't BMW make an interior solution for transporting bikes? I thought I read that somewhere. When I drove SUVs, I usually transported my bike inside with a fork mount bolted to a 2X4. I could carry two bikes easily inside.

When I had multiple riders with me, I had a bombproof Yakima roof rack that held 4 bikes.

For a single bike, look for an interior solution if you're OK with that.
    The pre-2010 X3 had a inside rack for the back a MTB likely wouldn't fit in the back. My Nomad Carbon won't fit in the back of my X5M with the seat pushed down and the front wheel off. I could get it in if I took the bars and seat off though.

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    Like the one I posted above?
    Like this one…. E70 FS - BMW X5 bike rack no hitch needed 82710443424 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

If I were home I would take some pics and post them. But this is the rack and it will fit the 13; my M is a 12.

I'm pretty sure it's made by Thule, most of the BMW accessories are, the roof boxes etc.
    I can find every other BMW bike rack and roof box on Thules' site, just not this one.

I can tell you I change the lock cores out with Thule lock cores though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have an X5 in white that looks a lot like that. We just got it last year. It's getting a hitch receiver this spring and it will have our 1UpUSA rack on it. That's perfect for the X5 and for a crossover SUV like this.

J.

skobiken
    Jun 2009
    Sell the King Joe, put a hitch on the x5 and the sienna and get a hitch rack.
    Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither. - Ben Franklin

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Idea View Post
    Sell the King Joe, put a hitch on the x5 and the sienna and get a hitch rack.
    The Sienna's rear is too low for a hitch to work well. I've had one on it before and it sucked. A hitch on the X5 is $650+ and then the rack itself. I think I'm going to return the King Joe for a smaller rack for the Sienna (and put two inside) and go for the tow hook mounted BMW rack. It's supposedly very sturdy and I like being able to remove in minutes.

Ninja Master Powers
    The Sienna's rear is too low for a hitch to work well. I've had one on it before and it sucked. A hitch on the X5 is $650+ and then the rack itself. I think I'm going to return the King Joe for a smaller rack for the Sienna (and put two inside) and go for the tow hook mounted BMW rack. It's supposedly very sturdy and I like being able to remove in minutes.
    If I'm not mistaken you can't put a hitch on the M Sport. Unless of course you want to cut into the colored keyed aero bumper cover, then have it painted again.

That'd probably only be a 1,500 - 2,000 dollar hitch.

If you get the tow islet mounted rack you'll love it. I know I really like mine.

If the person in the link is any where near you or if he'll ship that's a great deal on the rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If I'm not mistaken you can't put a hitch on the M Sport. Unless of course you want to cut into the colored keyed aero bumper cover, then have it painted again.

If you get the tow islet mounted rack you'll love it. I know I really like mine.

If the person in the link is any where near you or if he'll ship that's a great deal on the rack.
    Yep. I'm excited. Already chatted with him and getting it cheaper than listed. My only concern is that if you go to the BMW accessory site with the part number and put in the 2013 x50i it says it DOESN'T fit. Odd. If I can confirm it's fit ill be driving back to Nova Monday or Tuesday. I've asked him to measure between the two hooks on the rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

check out this description from getbmwparts.com

OEM BMW E53 X5 SAV Bicycle Rack
    Made of anodized aluminum tuning, this rack can carry two bikes- three with an optional kit. It is lockable and comes with anti-theft screws for mounting. The tailgate can be opened and towing hitch utilized even with the rack in place, as long as the bikes are not mounted. *Adhesive kit 82699408866 required - add to cart. **Not for vehicles with aerodynamic kit. ***Kit for Third Bicycle (82710309193) and Kit to Switch Rack (82710309194) optional - add to cart to purchase.
    Item # 82710309192*

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have a 2013 BMW X5 x50i M-Sport....the M-Sport adds in some aluminum rails on the roof (standard is some slightly raised black ones, I believe)...pic below of that.

Ideally, I would like to find something to carry my Soma Juice and another bike..My daughters have bikes but if we go biking as a family it will be in the Sienna. I picked up the Yakima King Joe Pro 3. It fits on my X5 but the top hooks go directly over the rear deck lid. I am not sure that this is a good thing. Also, it looks like the Soma Juice (due to the frame design) dips the front wheel down a bit much (or does it)....it also fits the Sienna.

Guess I need to know if you think the King Joe is ok for the X5 or not....Roof mounting really isnt an option nor is hitch because I dont want to buy two transport systems.

What would you do?
    looks like the straps will damage the spoiler

what would I do? the options you don't want to do.... hitch or roof rack

get a hitch for the x5 and Sienna and get a hitch rack that fits both

Ninja Master Powers
    check out this description from getbmwparts.com

OEM BMW E53 X5 SAV Bicycle Rack
    Made of anodized aluminum tuning, this rack can carry two bikes- three with an optional kit. It is lockable and comes with anti-theft screws for mounting. The tailgate can be opened and towing hitch utilized even with the rack in place, as long as the bikes are not mounted. *Adhesive kit 82699408866 required - add to cart. **Not for vehicles with aerodynamic kit. ***Kit for Third Bicycle (82710309193) and Kit to Switch Rack (82710309194) optional - add to cart to purchase.
    Item # 82710309192*
    The "standard" X5 comes either with a hitch or you can install one. The "M" "M Sport" and any E70 with the optional aero pack. has (among other items) a completely different rear bumper cover. You'd have to have the bumper cover cut to install a hitch.

Even then I still don't know if you could install a hitch, but I think you could. But why anyone would want to cut up the color keyed bumper cover I don't know. It would be expensive to cut it, have it finished and painted and would look like crap.

The bolt on rack works very, very well. Just don't loose the tow islet covers, they're about 90.00 each to replace.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Wait, they made an SUV that can't take a hitch?

KnotShearEfSirius.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    so....

BMW Trailer Hitch Kit-Class III: 71602156525

Rear Bumper Fascia Trim Piece- Required / Vehicle equipped with M Sports Package: 71602230141

If one can afford a $70k car and feed it premium gas for a SUV that gets 20 mpg highway...

pretty sure one can afford to drop a little extra cash to get the BMW hitch & trim and get it installed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    so....

BMW Trailer Hitch Kit-Class III: 71602156525

Rear Bumper Fascia Trim Piece- Required / Vehicle equipped with M Sports Package: 71602230141

If one can afford a $70k car and feed it premium gas for a SUV that gets 20 mpg highway...

pretty sure one can afford to drop a little extra cash to get the BMW hitch & trim and get it installed.
    Has nothing to do with being able to afford it. I bike more with my family (using the Sienna) than I will using my gas-guzzling SUV. I also simply don't want a hitch on my car....pretty simple.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The "standard" X5 comes either with a hitch or you can install one. The "M" "M Sport" and any E70 with the optional aero pack. has (among other items) a completely different rear bumper cover. You'd have to have the bumper cover cut to install a hitch.

Even then I still don't know if you could install a hitch, but I think you could. But why anyone would want to cut up the color keyed bumper cover I don't know. It would be expensive to cut it, have it finished and painted and would look like crap.

The bolt on rack works very, very well. Just don't loose the tow islet covers, they're about 90.00 each to replace.
    Thanks....I think I will go with the tow hook option the covers are attached to a plastic string..I assume I can just cut them and store them while in use. Thanks for the reply....Definitely dont want to chop up the bumper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    are you sure the E53 rack works on your E70?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    execuhitch. a bit pricey but no bumper cutting, looks great!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Your choices are pretty much a roof rack or a hitch rack. If you are worried about an unsightly bumper hitch, then it's a roof rack. Also, you will make your car (and bikes) much more unsightly by having a rack that sits on the vehicle. That just never ends well for either the bikes or the vehicle. You will almost certainly damage either the vehicle or the bikes or most likely, both.

If you go with a roof rack, Yakima makes some aero bars that fit inside the roof rails that are standard on your car and they look fantastic. That's what we have on our X5 with some Thule echoleon fork mounts. That said, it's tricky getting bikes up there so bring something to stand (small step ladder would be a good choice). We installed a curt hitch on ours, had it done at a place that details trucks, and it came out great. We use a 1UpUSA rack on the X5 and it is the - by far - the best set up.

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Any interior bike rack options for the E70? I'm trying to hunt down an old X3 interior rack with no luck, I think you can make it fit on the rails.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Your choices are pretty much a roof rack or a hitch rack. If you are worried about an unsightly bumper hitch, then it's a roof rack. Also, you will make your car (and bikes) much more unsightly by having a rack that sits on the vehicle. That just never ends well for either the bikes or the vehicle. You will almost certainly damage either the vehicle or the bikes or most likely, both.

If you go with a roof rack, Yakima makes some aero bars that fit inside the roof rails that are standard on your car and they look fantastic. That's what we have on our X5 with some Thule echoleon fork mounts. That said, it's tricky getting bikes up there so bring something to stand (small step ladder would be a good choice). We installed a curt hitch on ours, had it done at a place that details trucks, and it came out great. We use a 1UpUSA rack on the X5 and it is the - by far - the best set up.

J.
    This is the correct answer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    how are you dealing with the parking distance control with the hitch rack?

i have an oem hitch on my x6...pdc goes crazy with the rack obviously...so i used one of those adapters to plug into the outlet to put it in trailer mode, but i get bulb out warnings...it is driving me crazy

and my dealer has no clue

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post

J.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast