Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rack suggestions needed for BMW X5

46K views 54 replies 19 participants last post by  -Todd- 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 BMW X5 x50i M-Sport....the M-Sport adds in some aluminum rails on the roof (standard is some slightly raised black ones, I believe)...pic below of that.

Ideally, I would like to find something to carry my Soma Juice and another bike..My daughters have bikes but if we go biking as a family it will be in the Sienna. I picked up the Yakima King Joe Pro 3. It fits on my X5 but the top hooks go directly over the rear deck lid. I am not sure that this is a good thing. Also, it looks like the Soma Juice (due to the frame design) dips the front wheel down a bit much (or does it)....it also fits the Sienna.

Guess I need to know if you think the King Joe is ok for the X5 or not....Roof mounting really isnt an option nor is hitch because I dont want to buy two transport systems.

What would you do?

Attachments

See less See more
#42 ·
You can also buy them from digikey, they offer relatively low price shipping as well.

One thing I would recommend is to get something more than a 5 watt resistor, as at 12v (and 33Ω resistor) you'll be pushing about 4.3 watts, however at 14 volts (which is where most vehicles operate while running) you'll be at about 6 watts. So a 5 watt resistor may be fine, but it would probably be a good idea to go to a 10 watt or better resistor.

#46 ·
For the trailer mode, I would look at a trailer light to attch to the rack and just plug it in when using a rack. That way you have a red safety light with the rack. I think some are magnetic or you could easily adhere one.

When not using my hitch (Honda Element) I have a red light in.

#47 ·
I hate bringing up old threads, but I stumbled upon it via a Google search so I hope to help others with this update. A new thread would have been redundant.

I am not sure which brand hitch I have, but I know it isn't the thousand dollar OEM one. It came with the X5 when I bought it used. Whoever installed it had to trim the rear bumper. When I installed the aero kit, I had to dremel a small portion of the center piece. The aftermarket hitches I see listed exclude the X5M. I have seen hitches for the M model so there may be a specific model. If you want a hitch rack, it's probably the way to go.

When we travel with bikes and want to keep them secure and dry, I made an interior platform using Yakima Blockhead fork mounts. Realistically, I can move both fork mounts to the driver side and fold down the 60% portion of the middle row and have space for a third occupant in the 40% portion.

I go into further detail here: custom interior bike rack - Xoutpost.com

Tan Trunk Daylighting Car seat

Motor vehicle Vehicle Vehicle door Car Glass
Vehicle door Hardwood Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory Exercise machine
Bicycle frame Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle
Vehicle door Iron Metal Bicycle frame Steel
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

#51 · (Edited)
Those nice German people went to all the trouble to put my car together, and the first thing I do is take it apart!

Automotive exterior Bumper Trunk Bumper part Luxury vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim Fender
Tire Wheel Vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive design
Motor vehicle Bumper Machine Kit car Classic
Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design Automotive tire

Execuhitch installed. This thing is slick. No receiver sticks out because it comes off completely when not in use. Also when you do have the receiver installed, it's locked via a key. Super quick and easy to uninstall.

Attachments

#53 ·
It is, I'm in Alaska.

More pics.

Automotive tire Fender Auto part Synthetic rubber Carbon
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport
Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle accessory
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Spoke
This is what it looks like with the rack and receiver not attached. It's super quick to install the receiver, and it uses a keyed lock, so secure as well. Absolutely nothing hags down or is exposed, very slick. Automotive tail & brake light Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Floor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.