mtbr member

rack for 2013 mustang 5.0

I test drove all the hot hatches this weekend, mazdaspeed3, subaru wrx lancer ralliart, golf r and I went to test drive the new focus st but the dealer convinced me to drive the 5.0. Wow what a monster! Its about the same price as all the hot hatches and actually gets better gas mileage. The only issue is transporting my bike now. I have a 2011 enduro and the frame doesn't fit a tradtional rack. I'd like a rack that won't scratch the paint or take too long to set up. Maybe a hitch? Anyone else here drive a sports car?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, in practice those hot hatches get better mileage. You have more "control" with a turbo car and keeping it out of the turbo range, not as much with the V8 (currently a camaro SS, but previously a WRX). There are features that help increase the mileage, but it takes a pretty keen driver to milk out 22mpg average (even mix of city and highway). It takes a damn good driver/technique to keep it at 20mpg if it's just city, sometimes it's impossible no matter what you do. It's easier to keep those turbo cars off the boost for everyday driving and have better mileage. The only place where it can be improved is usually by having a higher top gear, as some are geared pretty short for acceleration (nothing is as fun as AWD off the line), but since they are usually a small 4 banger, it's still decent and better than a V8 turning 1500rpm like mine. at 65-70mph.

I have a hitch rack on my Camaro though, works great. Search around, you'll find a few autocross guys that tow a trailer with their wheels/tires for racing, so they are usually the best to find out about hitch options. I did a hitch because it "ties" the rear end of the car together, I tied the front end with a strut bar, and upped the anti-sways, and now it corners like mad, 1+g. Quicker response of course too, although there are a few other things about the suspension I'd like to eventually address. You can't see the receiver from most angles at all, and only a very wary person can tell it's there. To date, only one person has picked up on it out of the countless "i love your car" types. I'd never encountered that much before, but the black, tinted black, with ground effects does look fairly neat, so it attracts all types (as you may find out soon).

I think those new mustangs finally have a decent looking body, the powertrain is definitely great on those. Pretty amazing value.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rack for 2013 mustang 5.0-2011-11-19_10-08-35_16.jpg  

rack for 2013 mustang 5.0-071.jpg  

"It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I drive a 2011 GT 5.0 and had the same question.

Talon | SeaSucker Great option for any car and proven to work great.
    Seasucker?

You can also clear bra your trunk and top lip of your bumper and get a trunk rack and you dont have to worry about scratching your paint. You can also do the tow hitch as hidden hitch has one but having a trailer hitch on a sports car is not my cup of tea, but its a perfect solution if you can stomach it.

I just remove my front tire and put it in my trunk with that seat down. It doesnt take that much effort to do so honestly. I can get my bike in my trunk and be on my way just as fast as people with roof racks.
    Last edited by kdaly1; 11-05-2012 at 01:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here is one more page to take a peek at.
    Whats you Rides Ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Sorry i have no advice but . . . . V8 FTMFW
    2013 Motobecane Fantom Team DS

mtbr member
    Hitch is the way to go.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by kdaly1 View Post

I just remove my front tire and put it in my trunk with that seat down. It doesnt take that much effort to do so honestly. I can get my bike in my trunk and be on my way just as fast as people with roof racks.
    The problem with that is that long term it will screw up the interior, it's just too hard to not scrape it against the edge and be that careful each and every time.

The long term effects of the seasucker remain to be seen as well, as it's still fairly "new". All I know is that gas is expensive enough
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    SeaSucker

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a tarp on mine and there has been no issues with the interior getting damaged. I have taken the bike in and out of the car well over 100 times without issue. Gas is expensive since premium is recommended but if you stay out of the gas for the most part its very easy to achieve 25mpg. SeaSucker is really the way to go but expensive.

mtbr member
    I've got an a 12 Mustang GT. So far I use my beater Ford Focus to haul the bikes around. I'd probably go for a hitch on the Mustang, sacrilege though it may be. The SeaSucker is intriguing though I know at some point I'd end up scratching up the car. Not from the mount itself, but knowing me I'd screw up putting the bike in the rack and end up causing some sort of damage.
    Last edited by Wingspan; 11-06-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by kdaly1 View Post
    I have a tarp on mine and there has been no issues with the interior getting damaged. I have taken the bike in and out of the car well over 100 times without issue. Gas is expensive since premium is recommended but if you stay out of the gas for the most part its very easy to achieve 25mpg. SeaSucker is really the way to go but expensive.
    I've owned enough cars to know that there will be an issue, whether it's the trunk trim, the trunk interior, the seats and their trim, something else, etc. It's just not worth it in a car you care about or want to keep nice. If it's a family sedan, then who cares all that much, or if it's a hauler like a SUV, then it's probably got some plastic/rubberized parts to keep that from being an issue, but it's just not worth it with a car you want to keep and take care of.

I just don't see why its sacrileg to put a receiver on that you won't see from 98% of all viewing perspectives, yet so many people think it's perfectly alright to put on an assortment of roof erector set rails, towers and bars that make the car look like a power substation is attached. Seasucker is a good alternative for a couple cars that can in no way take a hitch, but otherwise throw that receiver on there, put a front strut bar on there, get some coil-overs, your car will handle like a dream and be practical to use for riding without having to risk damaging the roof from dropping the bike or messing up some other way. It's not like there's a rack hanging off the back of my car all the time, only when I go ride.

I'd rather be on my bike
    2013 Mustang GT 5.0? Seasucker Talon.

I have had the best luck mounting it this way though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Seems like Jayem has strong opinions... However, I have had 16 cars and cared about them all equally. If you take your time and not throw it in there, nothing gets messed up. And nothing is wrong with a hitch if it works for you, but I would lean toward that hitches dont appeal to most sports car owners. SeaSucker is a great option.

I'd rather be on my bike
    There just isn't much room under the rear valence for a hitch on the '13 Mustang GT. They make one, but I think that it looks like absolute garbage, and really takes away from the look of the rear end. If you can get over the initial fear of mounting your bike to your car using nothing but high quality marine grade suction cups, the Seasucker is really a great option. I was so hesitant at first, in fact, after getting mine, I waited almost a month because I was scared to mount it to the car. Now, I have no issues or doubts with it. I will mount it, and drive 80 mph on the highway to the trailhead without worrying. If you follow the instructions and mount it correctly, you will have no problems.

mtbr member
    The white looks nice! The new gotta have it green would match my new moss green enduro. I like the grabber blue too. Nearly every color looks good on the new mustang except the candy red.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I happen to like my Race Red Boss but the bike goes on the Subaru.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rack for 2013 mustang 5.0-image.jpg  

O8 Giant Trance X 2
    O7 Kona Kula

I'd rather be on my bike
    I like the Gotta Have It Green, but I am glad that I didn't get that. I feel like that would get old pretty quickly. I said no to red, since my last two cars were red, it was time for a change. It was between the white and Deep Impact Blue, which I am not crazy about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I like the Gotta Have It Green, but I am glad that I didn't get that. I feel like that would get old pretty quickly. I said no to red, since my last two cars were red, it was time for a change. It was between the white and Deep Impact Blue, which I am not crazy about.
    I really don't get the attraction to Gotta Have it Green. All I heard was that you had to see the color in person to appreciate it....well I did and I still think it looks awful!