mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Rack for 07' Mazda 3 Hatchback?

I'm looking to get a rack for my Mazda 3. This is the first time I'm looking into bike racks at all so I don't even really know where to start! So any advice at all is appreciated.

My only real criteria here is it needs to be as cheap as possible without giving me issues and it needs to handle two bikes. If its going to fall apart within the 1st year I'd rather just spend some extra money. I would somewhat prefer a roof rack but I'd be fine with hanging it off the rear of the car. I can't (to my knowledge) mount a trailer hitch to this car so a trailer hitch mount isn't an option. I'm not sure if there is any other way to hang a bike from the back of a hatchback?

Like I said, I'm starting from scratch here so any advice is welcome!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    I'm looking to get a rack for my Mazda 3. This is the first time I'm looking into bike racks at all so I don't even really know where to start! So any advice at all is appreciated.

My only real criteria here is it needs to be as cheap as possible without giving me issues and it needs to handle two bikes. If its going to fall apart within the 1st year I'd rather just spend some extra money. I would somewhat prefer a roof rack but I'd be fine with hanging it off the rear of the car. I can't (to my knowledge) mount a trailer hitch to this car so a trailer hitch mount isn't an option. I'm not sure if there is any other way to hang a bike from the back of a hatchback?

Like I said, I'm starting from scratch here so any advice is welcome!
    are you sure you can't mount a hitch?

this guy uses a saris bones on his:
    Saris or Thule? Which trunk rack is the best?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You can mount a hitch on it. I have a Hidden Hitch one on my 05 Mazda 3.

Mazda does not recommend towing. Many have towed with it though. I believe Euro Mazda 3's have a 1,000 lb towing capacity.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    You can mount a hitch to the 3...I just did it on my '04, but I know that Hollywood Racks was working on a trunk/hatch mount that would work around the rear spoiler on that car.

Anyway, the receiver hitch is a fairly simple install. You need a drill motor and a 1/2" bit (a step drill is nice and easy) to enlarge existing holes in the sheet steel 'frame' of the car, a buddy (or floor jack) and patience to fish the bolts through the car's inner parts.

Not a bad idea to have one of those magnets on a flexy stick handy too...just in case

I got mine from etrailers.com

I have about a year's use on a pretty inexpensive 2 bike platform rack and it has been quite decent overall for not much money, but you need to add the cost of the hitch in there too.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    I would go with the hitch mount. Some options like the Hidden Hitch I have for my GTI, hide the receiver really well. I would stay away from the ones that mount to the trunk/hatch via straps. I used one just a couple times and it left rub marks.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well it sounds like I'm getting a hitch mount! I read in the manual its not capable of towing so I pretty much gave up on that idea and never looked into it. I've been under the car before on our lift but didn't bother to look if there was any way to mount a hitch.

I'll find a hitch and that blows my options wide open! There's some really affordable ones too. While I'm at it I'll see if I can find one to handle a small motorcycle trailer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a 06 Mazda 3 hatch and you can def mount a hitch. I bought mine from ihaul, it is a hidden hitch level 3 purchased and installed for $100. They just have to drill holes in the frame rails to bolt it up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Here is the hitch receiver after I had it installed

Snagged a roof rack for pretty cheap from eBay, I like the roof rack more. Feels more solid

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jafstl38 View Post

Here is the hitch receiver after I had it installed

Snagged a roof rack for pretty cheap from eBay, I like the roof rack more. Feels more solid
    Thanks! Its nice to see both installed. I'm still kind of debating (while I wait for some extra funds too) whether I should go with the roof rack or the hitch. Who made the hitch and roof rack? Also, what was involved with installing the roof rack? I have no problem working on cars but I just want to know if its going to be a permanent thing to install the roof rack or not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The hitch is a hidden hitch class 3, the hitch rack is made by Allen sports and holds 3 bikes. The roof rack is all Thule. The roof rack is an easy install just an Allen wrench and tale measurer.