mtbr member
    Jul 2013

question for someone with a folding Thule T2 hitch mount rack

Hi guys. I just assembled my new Thule T2 rack. Super sweet and can't believe I ever bothered with the hanging style before. Anyway, I have a question that's going to be hard to explain/describe, but here goes...

On the folding mechanism, there's the latch that moves the square bar in and out of the slot. I'll describe the way mine works and you please tell me if it's normal or not. When the rack is folded up (no bikes on, tipped up to fit in the garage, etc), this latch mechanism works perfect. Gravity is holding the square pin in place. When it's down, my latch doesn't seem to have any pressure/spring/anything to have the "square pin" go into the slot to hold it in place. The only thing that holds the bar up at all is the round safety pin that's below all of that. Is this normal? Seems like it's designed for it to slot into place, and in fact I can slide it in there with my fingers, but there's nothing holding it in and indeed pushing the trigger handle either forward or back actually pulls it out of that slot. And to get it to drop down for access in the rear hatch of the vehicle, I'd have to unweight the rack and then pull the round safety pin out. Wouldn't have to do anything with the trigger handle because it's not doing anything.

I'm attaching a photo too of the area in questionquestion for someone with a folding Thule T2 hitch mount rack-thulet2.jpg. You can see in the photo that the square is out of the slot that I think it should be pushed into.

Whew. Make sense? Is something wrong with mine?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails question for someone with a folding Thule T2 hitch mount rack-thule.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    sorry the photos are the wrong orientation. they should each be rotated 1/4 clockwise.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Mine is spring loaded. The square pin always goes into it's spot.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member extraordinair
    ^ What he said. The square pin thing should have a spring pushing it outward at all times. The spring force is what pushes it into that slot. When you push the release lever, you are pushing against that spring to move it out of the slot to fold the rack up or down.
    It sounds like your spring is either broken or detached. I dont know how you get in there to fix it, you might need to call Thule. Their CS is very good, and worst case they should send you out a new one.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member extraordinair
    Another thing to check...When mine was new, the sliding pin thing was "sticky". Sometimes it wouldn't spring into place like you describe. I shot it with plenty of WD40 to get it moving freely. After some use, it now works flawlessly.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

code: mtbr2011
    give it a little wiggle up and down and that square, spring loaded piece will fall into place for you...

mtbr member

Re: question for someone with a folding Thule T2 hitch mount rack

Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    give it a little wiggle up and down and that square, spring loaded piece will fall into place for you...
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    The wheelsize argument is not a "hydraulic vs cable brake" argument, its a "formula vs shimano brake" argument.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Did ou get it working? Mine did the same thing. Jiggle it.
    If you can be blissfully ignorant to the notion that something is impossible, then you might surprise yourself. -- Andrea138