Ted
    Ted in real life

Question for 1UP Users

I used my new 1UP today for the first time. Years ago I lost a bike off a rear rack while on the freeway. So, I was a bit nervous today.

No problems but I did put a long bungy between the parts that hold the front and rear wheels to make sure that they would not loosen.

My question is: Does anyone use safety straps to hold their bike on the rack or am I just too paranoid?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Paranoid maybe, overly cautious probably not. They will not loosen up, if they do you would know it when the bike goes on because it will not tighten and is broken. Those cams would require a good bit of force to move against themselves and would damage the rack. Put it in, tighten it down and go. Don't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by firebike7 View Post
    Paranoid maybe, overly cautious probably not. They will not loosen up, if they do you would know it when the bike goes on because it will not tighten and is broken. Those cams would require a good bit of force to move against themselves and would damage the rack. Put it in, tighten it down and go. Don't worry about it.
    Not entirely true as the rack arms loosen on my car. (2012 focus) Some cars may have this issue-maybe a vibration, or something about the way chassis channels vibration and bumps to the rack. Don't know for sure. I called 1up about this and they sent me two thumbscrews to try that replace the small screws holding on the red lever. The screw clamps against thr slide rail when tightened.

I used to use a bungee to stop this before the new thumbscrews.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think I'm close to 80k on my 1up and it's never loosened up on me. I've used it both on and off-road without issue.

I don't think a bungee would be able to exert enough force to keep the bike in the tray if that was the only thing keeping it together.

The thumbscrew idea is a novel solution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post

The thumbscrew idea is a novel solution.
    It does, however, take the pure simplicity out of the rack. It bums me out a bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    It does, however, take the pure simplicity out of the rack. It bums me out a bit.
    Do you jam the arms against the tires pretty tightly, or do you just close the rack until the arms come in contact with the tires? I guess upon further reflection, I snug the arms down pretty tight (enough to deform the tires); maybe that will help the rack stay shut. Like I said, I've never had any issues.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Mine are tight as can be after a year. Can't even imagine them loosening up, FWIW.

mtbr member
    I've had mine for 8 months and the only issue is the right cam sticking on the slider bar. A touch of lube on the bar fixed that problem.

As for the arms, I was a little paranoid as well. So to be cautious, I purchased 2 threaded bolts, 4 plastic washers, and two plastic knobs that screw on the bolts. Once the bike is mounted, I run the bolts through two of the holes in the arms near the rims and tighten with a knob.

One thing that has bothered me is how the bike flexes at the steering tube while driving. I'm sure it's fine, but I often wondered about securing the bike by running a trunk mount rack strap from the top tub to the trunk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Do you jam the arms against the tires pretty tightly, or do you just close the rack until the arms come in contact with the tires? I guess upon further reflection, I snug the arms down pretty tight (enough to deform the tires); maybe that will help the rack stay shut. Like I said, I've never had any issues.
    I've tried every combo of tight and loose, etc. imaginable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    I've tried every combo of tight and loose, etc. imaginable.
    Well that sucks. Obviously, loose doesn't help but having the arms tight, should. I feel like I have the opposite problem - my rack gets tighter on the bikes over time it seems.