mtbr member

Pssst... Yakima, Thule and the rest of you rack manufacturers... WAKE THE *#$& UP!

...you rack manufacturers may not have noticed, but mountain bikes don't come with only 580mm bars. They're wider today... a lot wider. And wheels aren't all 26". Really. They're bigger too. Some of them are even 29" in diameter. It's true! Oh, why does that impact you? Well, up until recently, anyone with a mid- to full-size SUV or car could put one of your racks on the roof and carry 4 bikes. You may have also noticed - it doesn't work like that anymore. The wheels are so big, the bars of the neighboring bike don't clear them like they used to. And, the bars are so much wider that the bikes have to spread out or staggered up and down. You may want to look into this.

Seriously though. I'm amazed these guys haven't addressed this - if for no other reason but to create another revenue stream. So, this is a huge opportunity for a smaller (smarter) company to jump in with a fix. Said fix could be device to lift the fork mount up and forward - to allow the bikes to stagger enough to clear bike's bar/brake levers beside it.

In the meantime, I'm looking at a 1UP USA rack for the receiver... while the Yak/Thule engineers are napping
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I feel like the guy at the end of this commercial.
    At&t werewolf commercial - YouTube

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    ...you rack manufacturers may not have noticed, but mountain bikes don't come with only 580mm bars. They're wider today... a lot wider. And wheels aren't all 26". Really. They're bigger too. Some of them are even 29" in diameter. It's true! Oh, why does that impact you? Well, up until recently, anyone with a mid- to full-size SUV or car could put one of your racks on the roof and carry 4 bikes. You may have also noticed - it doesn't work like that anymore. The wheels are so big, the bars of the neighboring bike don't clear them like they used to. And, the bars are so much wider that the bikes have to spread out or staggered up and down. You may want to look into this.

Seriously though. I'm amazed these guys haven't addressed this - if for no other reason but to create another revenue stream. So, this is a huge opportunity for a smaller (smarter) company to jump in with a fix. Said fix could be device to lift the fork mount up and forward - to allow the bikes to stagger enough to clear bike's bar/brake levers beside it.

In the meantime, I'm looking at a 1UP USA rack for the receiver... while the Yak/Thule engineers are napping
    Staggering the trays forward facing and rear facing solves all of your problems...I'd say the bigger annoyance is not having thru axle trays

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    Staggering the trays forward facing and rear facing solves all of your problems...I'd say the bigger annoyance is not having thru axle trays
    I had the trays in that orientation - FRFR - before getting a 29er and it worked great. I could put four 26ers up there easily. But the 29ers don't fit - the handlebar of one hits the rear tire of the next bike. By orienting all four trays forward, I could get four 29ers, as long as two were on rear-leaning thru-axle adapters - to allow one bike to be lower and in front of the next bike. And I know that long cross-bars would let me put a bike outside the RailGrab mount... but I'd like to keep the rack as streamlined as possible.

Previous orientation:

undercover brother
    Downfall of 29ers... jk

My rack and trays are from the mid 90s. I can barely fit my 2.4 tires into the tray, and they're a little short for the longer wheel based bikes, but it works.

I think more and more people are going the wayside of roof racks and going to hitch racks. I think thats where the companies are making all their money. I love my roof rack, but for my next car I may contemplate a hitch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    I think more and more people are going the wayside of roof racks and going to hitch racks. I think thats where the companies are making all their money. I love my roof rack, but for my next car I may contemplate a hitch.
    I think you're right - roof racks do seem to be fading in popularity. I still prefer them by a long shot. But, because of the space issue and recently getting a Scalpel with a Lefty (a bit more work with a fork-mount roof rack), I'm likely to buy a hitch rack... soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I feel like you already had a thread about this. Roof racks are already set up for 29" wheels due to being designed to accommodate road bikes. It is far easier for you to space and reverse your roof racks properly than it is for a bike rack manufacturer to design a rack that can raise and lower the height of the rack to accommodate differing handlebar widths.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Like you stated originally. get the 1UP rack and you are done. I had similar issues but not anymore since I finally went with the 1UP and it accommodates my fat tire bike with their spacer kit.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by winkster View Post
    Like you stated originally. get the 1UP rack and you are done. I had similar issues but not anymore since I finally went with the 1UP and it accommodates my fat tire bike with their spacer kit.
    Second that.

And, road bikes are much closer in size to 26er bikes. The rim is bigger, but the tires are so much smaller that the overall diameter of a road wheel is pretty similar to a 26er wheel with a 2.1 tire, and with similar wheelbase, if not a tad shorter. Even then, 29ers are only like 2" longer in the wheelbase than a 26er. It's not a deal breaker for any rack.

Fork mount racks suck, especially if you have a Lefty. 1Up fits them all, including Fatbike 4" tires.