mtbr member

Is this a problem?

So..I'm just about to pull the trigger on a carbon mountain bike... will be my first non-aluminum bike.. but I have a few concerns.

The rack on my car is a Yakima tray type that doesn't touch the frame at all.... but I don't always drive, and I sometimes even shuttle.

Will these types of bike carrying techniques be a problem... I don't want speculating, I want real answers:

A lot of my friends tailgate:

And my dad, with whom I ride quite often has this rack.. and even with aluminum I tend to usually stick a rag between my frame and the clamp.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    All these are fine on a carbon mountain bike, the only thing I'd be worried about is a rouge bike mechanic clamping the frame into a repair stand with hulk like strength. All the rack options are perfectly safe and carbon is more durable than you might think.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    All these are fine on a carbon mountain bike, the only thing I'd be worried about is a rouge bike mechanic clamping the frame into a repair stand with hulk like strength. All the rack options are perfectly safe and carbon is more durable than you might think.
    Oh, man. Every mechanic who is not a complete dumbass should know that you never ever ever ever clamp a bike in a stand by the frame. Always by the seatpost. If you overtighten the stand, you can only destroy a seatpost, which wouldn't be that huge a mistake. But a frame.... Yikes!

Heh... I actually kept a few low rent seatposts around my parts bin just to work on my bikes in the stand... mostly because on a few of my seatposts have bottle clamps and cages on them. It's easier just to remove the seatpost and pop in the extra seatpost rather than remove the bottle cage. All of my bikes are 27.2 or 30.9mm.