Thread: Prius Hitch

High Desert MTBer

Prius Hitch

I do remember a thread on this, but cannot find it now. I just got a 2012 Prius, and am looking at a hitch assembly for it. Anyone got any tips or pointers? I have seen the Torklift Ecohitch, and that looks unobtrusive, which is what I like. All I need it for is to put my 2" Thule bike carrier on, no trailer towing at all, so no need for wiring harness and that.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I do remember a thread on this, but cannot find it now. I just got a 2012 Prius, and am looking at a hitch assembly for it. Anyone got any tips or pointers? I have seen the Torklift Ecohitch, and that looks unobtrusive, which is what I like. All I need it for is to put my 2" Thule bike carrier on, no trailer towing at all, so no need for wiring harness and that.
    I haven't seen the thread you are referring to, but I have a hitch on my 2010 Prius. I didn't do anything fancy - I just went to the local u-haul and them install it. The only possible catch is that I believe u-haul will only install a 1.25" hitch.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert View Post
    I haven't seen the thread you are referring to, but I have a hitch on my 2010 Prius. I didn't do anything fancy - I just went to the local u-haul and them install it. The only possible catch is that I believe u-haul will only install a 1.25" hitch.
    Judging by U Haul's usual style, I would be hesitant to let them do anything to my car! Did it go OK for you? Is it unobtrusive?
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've been using it for > 3 years and haven't had any trouble at all. I'm not sure it is exactly stealth, but the appearance has never bothered me. I'll take a picture later and post it for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    the common hitches for the 12 Prius are only Class 1.

But... don't fear....

a Class III adapter.
    Hitch Adapter 1-1/4" to 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver Brophy Hitch Accessories HTAD

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think the only place you can or should put a hitch on a Prius is on the front.

J.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I think the only place you can or should put a hitch on a Prius is on the front.

J.
    Hahaha! Very educational! Thank you for your wise input...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Glad to help. Sorry, I couldn't resist....

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Its either Torqlift or ecohitch that makes a 2" receiver hitch for prii. Pricey @ $250

Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    the common hitches for the 12 Prius are only Class 1.

But... don't fear....

a Class III adapter.
    Hitch Adapter 1-1/4" to 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver Brophy Hitch Accessories HTAD
    Note, those things reduce tongue weight capacity by 50%. Class I hitches tend to be about 200lbs tongue weight. So that gives you 100lbs to work with for the rack plus 2 bikes. You'd be seriously pushing it for just 2 mt bikes plus rack.

I am trying to explore the option of having a custom hitch built for my Honda Fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Judging by U Haul's usual style, I would be hesitant to let them do anything to my car! Did it go OK for you? Is it unobtrusive?
    For what it's worth, I had Uhaul put a hitch on my 13 Outback. Zero issues. Lifetime warranty is nice as well. I didn't have them do the wiring harness, because...well, it's Uhaul--I don't trust them THAT much.