Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Disabled Vet

Cool-blue Rhythm Post up your vans/mini-vans that haul your rigs

Who here roll vans they bought specifically for hauling their bikes and buds to trails (or at least with thought towards that in the deciding process). Have you done overnigh trips to farther-away places to ride sleeping in it

Mine (90% of the decision process was for bike hauling...sold a nice '94 Mustang GT ratop to buy this ),and yes I've done an overnighterin it

Bike picking ready...

Post em up
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Had an 89 dodge caravan for 12 years but I finally sold it earlier this year and bought an 03 pontiac vibe beater. I bought it more for hauling my dogs around but it also ending up serving as the bike hauler. Could easily put 4 bikes in the back and still sit 4 people inside. If the flywheel hadn't broke I'd probably still be driving it. I only paid $800 for it in 01 but everything worked even the a/c, was easy to work on, and never really gave me any real problems other than the flywheel cracking lol. I fixed the van after buying the vibe and sold it for $500.

Disabled Vet
    Those older Caravans ran forever! I had an aunt/uncle that had one that looked amazingly like that one (paint peel and all,LOL) that they got well over 300K miles out of. They finally got tired of seeing it and sold it for $300 a few years ago to a neighbor down the street (this is before our move outta that area last year) who STILL drives it
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

my 06 peugeot partner. - small by US standards- 1.9 diesel.

my 87 land rover ninety. Asthmatic 2.5TD in that photo but got a 3.5 V8 on twin SU carbs ready to fit.

not as handy for bikes as id have thought - cargo bays too small - but ill stick a roof rack on once i get its new engine in and roadtested.

Disabled Vet
    Nice!!!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

I build my own.
    First my Astro. Good mileage. Fits a downhill bike standing up height-wise. With one row of seats, will haul 5 bikes and 5 people inside the van (less chance of theft). With all the racks and all the seats, will haul 8 people and 8 bikes. I've had older and newer Caravans and a Mazda MPV. The Astro was my favorite van by far. I love the interior height.

Post up your vans/mini-vans that haul your rigs-astro.jpg

Next, my cube van. 16' box. Stupid mileage, but it was my daily driver for 2 years. The most bikes I had in it was about 40. It would hold more.
    Post up your vans/mini-vans that haul your rigs-dsc03882.jpg
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Disabled Vet
    I was wanting an Astro when I bought the Merc,but a) couldn't find the right one at the same time as b) the Merc being a 1-owner with maintenance records back to day 1 and well cared for mechanically,the price was too good to pass up...they (Astros) definately have more height and potential,I still want one (especially coming from a mini-trucking background and a love of S-trucks/s-balzers ). That cube is awesome as a bike hauler!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker View Post
    I was wanting an Astro when I bought the Merc,but a) couldn't find the right one at the same time as b) the Merc being a 1-owner with maintenance records back to day 1 and well cared for mechanically,the price was too good to pass up...they (Astros) definately have more height and potential,I still want one (especially coming from a mini-trucking background and a love of S-trucks/s-balzers ). That cube is awesome as a bike hauler!
    S10, S15, Blazer, Jimmy, Astro. Owned them all, loved them all. The Astro-Safari is the only mini-van I know of that is actually a truck. I would buy another one in a minute.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Disabled Vet
    If I don't look into a full size van next go round,a good-shape used Astro/Safari is on my short list for sure. Here's a couple of the many S trucks I've owned...

'11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Here's mine
    97 Ford Econoline 7.3 PSD
    6" lift on 35's
    4x4 conversion is in the works.
    interior is still being converted

that's a med Turner Sultan

Disabled Vet
    W-O-W!!! Longhaul LIKES that!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member

Had a ....

....Plymouth Voyger(sp).....and a Honda Ody.....here's a couple Ody pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post up your vans/mini-vans that haul your rigs-rcst-bash-08-006.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Sprinter

Recently bought this NCV3 144WB High Roof Passenger Sprinter. I hope it will be my ultimate bike hauler. I can fit 5 people and 5 bikes all inside, with wheels on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post up your vans/mini-vans that haul your rigs-van.jpg  

Disabled Vet
    I dig them Honda Od's,and they're my son's favorite van

That Sprinter looks like the ultimate bike-van to me,I'd LOVE to have one (especially if diesel),I'd do SO many bike trips my wife would pitch a fit,LOL!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks. They are all diesel-only now in the USA.

Disabled Vet
    That's what I thought,but wasn't 100%
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by rodel View Post
    Here's mine
    97 Ford Econoline 7.3 PSD
    6" lift on 35's
    4x4 conversion is in the works.
    interior is still being converted

that's a med Turner Sultan
    Now thats an impressive beast! I bet you get about 3 miles to the gallon though...
    (just me being silly)

I am seriously considering the passenger window van for my next vehicle. I love my mini van but find it cramped for room in several situations, and not just hauling my bikes....
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My 1989 Chevy Astro died on me a few months ago...POS that it was, it was good for hauling bikes. I've been torn about what to buy, I'd like a Sprinter van, but I refuse to pay that much for a vehicle!, LOL. so I've been watching the Honda Fit thread, thinking about one of those, or this. http://www.dodge.com/en/2013/grand_caravan/sxt/

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBM View Post
    I'd like a Sprinter van, but I refuse to pay that much for a vehicle!, LOL. 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT | Luxurious Family Minivan | Dodge
    I also assumed the Sprinters were too expensive, but you'd be surprised. There are SO MANY options on the vehicles... probably over 100, that you can have a large swing in prices. Also, you can find some low miles used vehicles for many thousands less. I bought mine on eBay from a dealer that was a demo, with 7,500 miles for under $37k with new warrantee.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's not my van personally, but I drive it for work (which includes hauling up to 14 bikes at a time every day).[IMG][/IMG]
    Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?

Disabled Vet
    /\ /\ /\
    Something that I might actually be able to find within budget some tax-refund-time,that my son and I can load the bikes in,and still have room to strech out in our sleeping bags! Nice
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    the sprinter looks like a great vehicle, but they are indeed spendy. look for them to get some competition soon.

our ody has been been wonderfully reliable and easy on gas.

sometimes i wonder about a pickup with the kind of camper top that is the same height as the cab, but it seems like security might be an issue.

i like the peugeot partner, but need a cargo bay at least 6 feet long to lie down in. how long is the cargo area of the peugeot witht he front seats pushed forward? we have a similar vehicle here called the transit connect.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker View Post
    /\ /\ /\
    Something that I might actually be able to find within budget some tax-refund-time,that my son and I can load the bikes in,and still have room to strech out in our sleeping bags! Nice
    06 GMC Savana extended. Coming up on 100k and it's been super reliable. I used it to move and my queen mattress almost fit lying down (width was inches off b/c of the wheel wells).
    Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    im 6foot 3 and sleep in the partner comfy - one summer i slept in it every week night , would drive to where i work about 2 hours from home on monday morning , work , go ride bike ,sleep in the van (we have showers at work) do this all week then drive home friday night.

ill see if i can dig out my sleeping arrangement photo.

Disabled Vet
    Cool!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast