View Poll Results: Do you lock your bike during transport?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 56.06%
  • No

29 43.94%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Poll: Do you lock your bikes while transporting?

If you use a bike rack to transport your bike from your home to the trailhead, do you lock your bikes to the rack/hitch?

Paste eater
    While transporting? No. Why would you?

mtbr member
    long distances yes. short distances no / depending on where I'm going. What I mean is I If I duck inside the Quickymart with lots of windows I don't (although I should) I keep a watch full eye on my rides. I figure it takes me long enough to get the bike on and off so I know how long it would take someone else. It leaves me plenty of time to offer up a good beat down if someone ballsy enough were to try or at least get the theft on camera for documentation... But if I happen to stop at a store and don't have 100% line of site at all times I'll lock it up.

documentation for police report & insurance....
    cop: "why didn't you try to stop them?",
    me: " I didn't know if they were armed and didn't care to find out"
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Only if I know I'm going to be making a stop on the way to wherever I'm going. Rack is locked to the car, Bike gets locked to the rack. Takes 10 seconds to do and will deter all but the most determined thieves.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Short trips no long trips yes. If I plan to make any stops I'll lock it up.

mtbr member
    I do most of the time. My Thule has a cable out of the ends and so if the main rubber mounts were ever to fail it would hopefully catch the bike(s) and keep it from falling off into other cars.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Not usually, but if I have to stop anywhere I do, lock it to the hitch.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryank930 View Post
    Takes 10 seconds to do and will deter all but the most determined thieves.
    very true... very true indeed... not to say i didn't know it but more of an eye opener hearing it come from someone else. no excuses, 10sec. isn't much but could turn into a life time worth of regret if some dingbat felt the need to take my ride
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

Resident Curmudgeon
    my bike trays are the fork lock type. I'm always paranoid of the jaw popping open coming down the mountain or out on the freeway and dumping the bike so as a matter of habit I always lock the jaw down with the bike on and I do it with the bike off to keep the tray from a quick five finger discount

Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

Noobiker..
    Jan 2013
    Hey guys.. Just got a Thule sidearm and was wondering how I could secure the rack to the base/crossbars and the bike to the rack? I own an OEM crossbar/base for a '11 STi 5 door.. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subiebikr View Post
    Hey guys.. Just got a Thule sidearm and was wondering how I could secure the rack to the base/crossbars and the bike to the rack? I own an OEM crossbar/base for a '11 STi 5 door.. Thanks!
    There are two spots on a thule sidearm to insert thule lock cylinders. One lock "secures" the sidearm rack to the roof rack and the other lock secures the bike to the sidearm rack. They def. will not keep the most determined thief from stealing your goods but like others have stated, it's so easy to lock, why not do the most that you can.

mtbr member
    I very frequently do but how I do it really depends on the circumstance.

My jeep has a spare tire rack and I always use a cable lock to secure my bike to the frame of the rack. This is more of a safety backup than for security; it is the simplest and most reliable way I have to make sure my bike won't come off the rack in transit.

My truck has fork mounts and I don't bother to lock with anything if I'm going straight to the trailhead. I will run that same cable lock through everything if I'll be riding after work though. Our parking lot is gated and secure, but some of my coworkers are pranksters and I don't want to have to haul my bike off the roof or something. I'll also do this if I need to make any stops when the bike will be out of my sight for a few minutes.

For long trips I have some round padlocks that fit into the skewers of the fork mounts so tightly you can't get a bolt cutter on them, and a super heavy duty cable to string through the frames and wheels + another of those same padlocks. Also, the fork mounts are installed with theft-resistant hardware. I still don't let them out of my sight for long if I can help it.

When I'm using locks for security I don't really have faith that they're undefeatable or anything, I just need them to be a huge PIA to defeat so they'll maybe pass mine up for easier prey. Failing that, slow them down (hopefully) long enough to get caught.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

thecentralscrutinizer
    YES, but only if I'm planning on making a stop somewhere that the bike is unattended.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

jrm
    mtbr member

If it's going to be out of my sight

yeah AND i remove the seat post/collar as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Dirty bikes are never stolen

I recently had a window smashed and a few small items stolen from my vehicle. In the back of this SUV was a bike with very expensive components but it was partially covered by riding clothes and really muddy from the recent rains. Not sure that counts as security but the bike, which was by far the only thing of real value in the car, was untouched. Ugly bikes are secure ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Every time, yes. It only takes a second and is just a good habit to follow, and if my rack has a failure, I.e. strap breaks, then the bike is still loosely attached to the rack. That's with the integrated cable lock in my Thule. If I'm going on a long trip and the bikes and my rig are going to be parked, then I also use a heavy duty motorcycle hardened steel chain lock that weighs over 20 pounds.

Noobiker..
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetglider08 View Post
    There are two spots on a thule sidearm to insert thule lock cylinders. One lock "secures" the sidearm rack to the roof rack and the other lock secures the bike to the sidearm rack. They def. will not keep the most determined thief from stealing your goods but like others have stated, it's so easy to lock, why not do the most that you can.
    I'll get on the Thule website and get both sets. Will the rack to base lock work if its an OEM rack connecting to the Thule? Thank you kind sir for the insight! Cheers

mtbr member

Noobiker..
    Jan 2013
    Does this secure the bike to the rack/base? Nice.

mtbr member
    Its long enough to go through the frame of 2 bikes or one twice and it secures the hitch rack itself as well.

Noobiker..
    Jan 2013
    Right on, who makes it?

mtbr member
    If someone is going to steal my bikes at 75 MPH, i am going to video tape it, and make cash money when it goes Viral, and buy 5 bikes.

Come at me bro.

mtbr member
    It takes less than 30 seconds for a pro to cut any lock so no I don't lock my bike when transporting.
    I don't worry about it because my bike is "NEVER" out of my sight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subiebikr View Post
    I'll get on the Thule website and get both sets. Will the rack to base lock work if its an OEM rack connecting to the Thule? Thank you kind sir for the insight! Cheers
    Yes. I am using this rack with the own bars on my jeep commander. Your rack came with a plastic cover that covers up the top two knobs that you use to tighten the rack down. You put that cover on with a thule lock cylinder. And it "prevents" people from being able to get to the knobs and loosening them to take the rack off. Definitely just a deterrent.

Noobiker..
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetglider08 View Post
    Yes. I am using this rack with the own bars on my jeep commander. Your rack came with a plastic cover that covers up the top two knobs that you use to tighten the rack down. You put that cover on with a thule lock cylinder. And it "prevents" people from being able to get to the knobs and loosening them to take the rack off. Definitely just a deterrent.
    Outstanding. Thank you. I guess a deterrent is better than nothing. Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast