Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Captain Climber

Please recommend some new cars to consider

I need to get a new car and am looking in the $20K range. Please recommend some to look at that are reliable and get good gas mileage. I'll be using it also to haul my bike. I hear January is the best month to buy?

mtbr member

Honda or Subaru - cars or SUVs. We have a CR-V (came to us with 40k) and my parents just got a Forester (new) and both are awesome. Is recommend the trailer hitch bike rack over other methods unless you have a good system that works. I hate my trunk rack but don't want to fork over the $ to get a hitch installed on my sedan (Acura).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    What class of vehicle are you looking at? Compact? Full-size car? SUV?

Having owned a Honda (civic) and Subaru (outback and shortly a cross trek) I can second ctrider's recommendations. I may also throw in Toyota as a good value and highly reliable.

If you are looking at a Subaru, just a warning that they do not depreciate, so buying used is unlikely to be the best value. I ran the numbers, and found it unlikely that a used car (going as old as a 2010 with 100k on it) would work out cheaper all said and done. new, however, you are looking at about $22k minimum for a Subaru Impreza (Subarus cheapest car) unless you are willing to give up cruise control. They do get good fuel mileage (30 combined for the hatchback) and are nice cars.

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If that was my $20K, the only answer is Fiesta ST. Good mileage, bikes fit inside, impossible to drive without grinning like a madman. It wasn't available yet when I sold my Subaru OBS or I'd be in one right now.

Focus ST if you need more room and can spend more. Or get the regular NA model of either if you don't care about performance. Mazda3 is kind of slow but great handling and can be had cheaply, plus 40+mpg is not too shabby. Mazda2 was tiny but actually pretty fun to drive despite the mini motor. With the front wheel off, I was able to stick a bike inside all of these. I love me a hatchback.

Originally I wanted a new Subaru, but the Imprezas all lost power while gaining weight. Even the manuals are not particularly fun to drive any more. $18K for a new one buys you a nice AWD system and not much else: they were always pretty basic but current models seem to have moved down a notch. IMO The older models with the 2.5l were much more fun to drive. At least they finally ditched the drum brakes in back. They are still good cars but now the only thing they have going for them is AWD. All my test drives were a firm 'meh'.

Captain Climber
    Thanks! As far as class I really don't care as long as it is reliable and gets good gas mileage. I'll be trading a 2001 Xterra which gets 19 mpg. I'll be checking out all that you have recommended so far. I'm not too concerned with performance as I also have a Corvette for that but I don't want something that is too doggish. So far the Crosstrek is the coolest looking to me in this range that has been recommended but I am always afraid of something new that has no history.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I own a Chevy Sonic hatchback. It gets a real 40MPG on the highway (1.4L manual), and is reasonably fun to drive. I put a hitch on it so I can use a hitch rack for bikes--don't think you'll have much luck getting bikes inside any car in the B-segment without removing wheels. Should easily meet your budget.
    whatever...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Get a used car, finance it through your bank or CU, skip the ridiculous tax and fees at a dealer. Modern cars are pretty damn reliable and realize that a $20K car at a dealer is going to be 30K walking off the lot with finance charges, plates and registration, tax, etc. Think about the max you are willing to pay, and subtract about 25% of the cost, that's how much the car should "cost" IME if you are going to buy it at a dealer. Even if you buy cash, you still are going to usually pay a ton in tax and and for other stuff.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Captain Climber
    I have been looking at CL and it is hard to find a good deal on a newer car. There are many great deals on older cars but I don't want anything older than two years. I went to cars.com and they have a lot of good info. I will still have to pay sales tax if I buy used.

mtbr member
    CRV or Forrester

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I am looking for a new car too coming from a 2002 Mazda Protege5 Hatch.

I am not looking for a brand new car as they are not worth it. A year or two old car with minor mileage is always a better deal. At least I think so...

Looking at(not particularly in order):

Volkswagen GTI
    Kia Forte5 SX
    Volkswagen Rabbit/Golf
    Volkswagen Golf Wagon
    Audi A3 2.0
    Hyundai Elantra GT
    Kia Rio5

Any thoughts or recommendations from actual users?

Regards, Chris?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Re: Please recommend some new cars to consider

Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    So far the Crosstrek is the coolest looking to me in this range that has been recommended but I am always afraid of something new that has no history.
    The crosstrek is a jacked up impreza. I asked, and the salesman said (and online research bears this out) that the only difference is suspension, maybe a body lift, and bigger brakes. In short, it really isn't a new car.

If fuel mileage is the ultimate goal and you go Subaru, the impreza is the easy to go. 30 mpg combined, all wheel drive and a bit cheaper than a crosstrek with the same creature comforts.

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

mtbr member
    If you're considering the Audi A3 2.0T, take a look at the TDI. I've had mine for a year and have been very happy with it. I get around 40 MPG.

mtbr member

Golf GTI. Fun as hell. Tuneable and you can get a hitch or roof rack. Nice inside and same engine, platform and many parts as an A3. Not sure how anyone could look at an Audi and Kia!

Captain Climber
    Are Volkswagen's reliable? I've always heard they are not and are expensive to fix and maintain.

mtbr member

I had zero problems in 50k miles with mine (GLI not GTI) but overall Japanese cars seem to be the most reliable. My wife drives a Mazda that's been 100%. I just think most (not all) toyota, Honda and Nissan models are a little soulless. Perfectly efficient but devoid of character and aren't any fun to drive. I wouldn't own a Camry or any Lexus if they were the last cars on earth. They're good cars but boring and dull in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Kia, Hyundai etc. because I cat get an almost new, say year old car in the 20k range.

A3 or the GTI would have to be used for this price, few years old and with ~100 000km on it.

I'm leaning towards a GTI or a Golf/Rabbit anyhow and looking at hatchbacks only.

Chris.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by krzysiekmz View Post
    I am not looking for a brand new car as they are not worth it. A year or two old car with minor mileage is always a better deal.
    Run the numbers before you commit to buying used. For some makes/models, you are correct. However, I ran a bunch of numbers (estimating cost per mile), and in my market (Wisconsin), reliable compact SUV's/crossovers (at least the models we considered; Subaru, Honda, Toyota) were cheaper to buy new than used, assuming I would drive either until its wheels were about to fall off (which my wife and I do).

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Are Volkswagen's reliable? I've always heard they are not and are expensive to fix and maintain.
    I've got a Jetta wagon and my wife has a Toureg. Both have been extremely solid and reliable cars.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2015 Trek Farley 26fat
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er

Viva la Vida!

Even though it's out of your price range and MPG Subaru Forester 2014 XT is a great fun AWD off road soccer mom SUV. With enough ground clearance to take you to almost any trail that you can think off.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by norton05 View Post
    Originally I wanted a new Subaru, but the Imprezas all lost power while gaining weight. Even the manuals are not particularly fun to drive any more. $18K for a new one buys you a nice AWD system and not much else: they were always pretty basic but current models seem to have moved down a notch. IMO The older models with the 2.5l were much more fun to drive. At least they finally ditched the drum brakes in back. They are still good cars but now the only thing they have going for them is AWD. All my test drives were a firm 'meh'.
    I love my '11 Subie STi 4-door. It's a blast to drive, but fuel efficiency sucks. My wife has one too, just in a different color. We have considered trading one of them for a Outback 3.6.
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 9; 2013 Trek Domane 4.5

Braaaapp!

Re: Please recommend some new cars to consider

I have been looking at CL and it is hard to find a good deal on a newer car. There are many great deals on older cars but I don't want anything older than two years. I went to cars.com and they have a lot of good info. I will still have to pay sales tax if I buy used.
    I have found this to be the case here as well. So did a buddy that recently was hell bent on buying used, but went new, as he was finding cars 2 years old were still all asking within $2-3k of new. I looked at a used Jetta at the dealer, 1 year old and 11, 000 miles, it was $500 less than the new one on the other side of the lot. Same options and everything. Stupid.

So far in my search I've driven:
    2013 Chevy Sonic hatch, 1.8 auto (no one had had a stick or turbo on hand in my area)
    2013 Honda Fit
    2013 Mazda 2
    2013 Mazda 3 hatch
    2013 Mazda 3 sedan, stick
    2014 Mazda 3 hatch
    2013 Subaru Crosstrek
    2013 Ford Fiesta

Unfortunately all were autos expect the Mazda 3 sedan. No one carries manuals!!!!

The 2014 Mazda 3 hatch is far and away my #1 choice. Drove great, fun handling, clean, simple interior. I came very close to setting up to get one with a stick, but we are counting our pennies and trying to buy a new home, so I exercised self restraint and walked away.

Sent via morse code
    "It was like a German, techno-weird, acid trip." - The Hoff -

Captain Climber
    Adam, you need to test drive some more cars for me so I can get your opinion . I have heard a lot of good things about that Mazda 3. I've actually never bought a new car before. How does the process work?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    X2 on the 2014 Forester XT 2.0L. I put a TorkLift 2" eco hitch on mine for my Tule T2 and a 1 up rack on top and good to go. Plus the car is a blast to drive. Check one out.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Only 10+k over what wants to spend, excellent...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by adam728 View Post
    I have found this to be the case here as well. So did a buddy that recently was hell bent on buying used, but went new, as he was finding cars 2 years old were still all asking within $2-3k of new. I looked at a used Jetta at the dealer, 1 year old and 11, 000 miles, it was $500 less than the new one on the other side of the lot. Same options and everything. Stupid.

So far in my search I've driven:
    2013 Subaru Crosstrek

I thought the Subaru Crosstrek looked somewhat compelling until I looked at the performance figures. It's just way underpowered for my taste at about 150 HP or so. I don't want anything less than 225, 250 HP or so. I'm spoiled with the 305 HP I have now.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
    I thought the Subaru Crosstrek looked somewhat compelling until I looked at the performance figures. It's just way underpowered for my taste at about 150 HP or so. I don't want anything less than 225, 250 HP or so. I'm spoiled with the 305 HP I have now.
    Good luck with that...
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Good luck with that...
    ??? Good luck with what?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
    It's not the hp that makes that car fast, it's the short gearing and the awd. At lower speeds, it's exceptionally fast, will beat almost anything off the line and to 60, but they are only about 230awhp, so at higher speeds a lot of cars with less hp and less drivetrain drag can go faster. On the flip side, being able to go 175mph doesn't mean much when you are going to drive on normal roads in a normal speed range most of the time. That's what makes the sti fun, it's a blast at those speed ranges, not some ungodly speed that you'll never reach on a public road.

Trail Ninja
    If someone I knew got that new Mazda 3, I'd totally be checking it out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    It's not the hp that makes that car fast, it's the short gearing and the awd. At lower speeds, it's exceptionally fast, will beat almost anything off the line and to 60, but they are only about 230awhp, so at higher speeds a lot of cars with less hp and less drivetrain drag can go faster. On the flip side, being able to go 175mph doesn't mean much when you are going to drive on normal roads in a normal speed range most of the time. That's what makes the sti fun, it's a blast at those speed ranges, not some ungodly speed that you'll never reach on a public road.
    That's not new to me. My last three cars have been an E46 M3, a MINI John Cooper Works, and the STi I have now. Before that I have a BMW 3 and 5 series as well. I've also tracked the M3 and MINI for a total of about 1000 miles, and worked my way to the advanced run group at HPDEs. I don't care about top speed. I never go near it.

I just cannot stand an underpowered car.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We are also looking for a new CUV, and what really makes it tough is that all the higher-perfomance engines are coupled to auto's or even worse, CVT's, which are the devil's spawn. CX-5, XT and Tiguan all have some enthusiastic driving potential, and all are available with stick, but not AWD and the more powerful engines.

ballbuster
    Thanks! As far as class I really don't care as long as it is reliable and gets good gas mileage. I'll be trading a 2001 Xterra which gets 19 mpg. I'll be checking out all that you have recommended so far. I'm not too concerned with performance as I also have a Corvette for that but I don't want something that is too doggish. So far the Crosstrek is the coolest looking to me in this range that has been recommended but I am always afraid of something new that has no history.
    It's not that new. It's been out a couple years. Plus, it's basically an Impreza under the hood. The only real new bits are going to be the interior and body parts. Subaru pretty much recycles as many parts as they can into new models.

ballbuster
    They were hit and miss through the 2000's, but the newest generation ones are much better. They were never that bad, really. They had sludge issues with the turbo cars because VW/Audi speced the wrong oil, or folks used conventional oil. That problem was fixed by just shortening the oil change interval to 5000 miles from 7500 and using synthetic oil. The early 2000's models used the wrong plastics on some parts like the window regulators, and as they got hot and dried out, they would crack. Little things like that. The biggest expense was the timing belt that needed replacement every 70k miles, but the newer ones went to a lifetime timing chain instead. VW heard their customers complaining about needing more scheduled maintenance than other cars, and changed their designs to fix them.

Heh.... yeah, super tunable, too. The turbo engines are tuned very conservatively from the factory. You can get a 20-30% bump in power and torque by just chipping the ECU, which is like a $400 job. So that 210hp 2.0 Turbo ends up making 240-250 hp by just chipping it with no hit in gas mileage (if you keep your foot off the gas and drive like a normal person). If you don't hammertime the engine and shut it off while hot, there is no effect on the turbo's life.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    ...If you don't hammertime the engine and shut it off while hot, there is no effect on the turbo's life.
    That's a concern with oil-cooled turbos. If VW is still building in oil-cooled turbos then shame on them. Most (all?) turbos nowadays are water-cooled, and you shut them down normally like any other car, while hot or not. My STI and the MINI JCW I had before that both have water cooled turbos. There is no cool down period before you shut the ignition off. With that said, I can't imagine VW/Audi using oil-cooled turbos anymore. Just about everything is oil-lubricated, water-cooled. Much better, more reliable, longer lasting.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    My buddy got a 2013 Elantra GT, and it's pretty impressive for an economy car. I'm 6'2" and felt like it had lots of room in the shotgun seat. If I move my seat to a reasonable postion, an adult can sit behind me.

The main thing that impressed me is the way it rolled down the highway. Running at 80, it feels solid and secure.

Im a used-car guy all the way (49 and have never owned new), but for the last 5 years, the used car prices have been insane. In some cases the cost of ownership for new was the same or possibly less than used. In the end, I bought a 20-year old truck for 3k to avoid a car payment. Just make sure you consider all the expenses of buying new vs. used and don't assume used is a good deal.

Torque feels good to the seat of your pants when cruising around, but assuming proper gearing, horsepower to weight is a better indicator of how quickly a car will accelerate. However when in doubt, just find road tests and compare the acceleration numbers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Buying a new car is easier than buying used. In my opinion, unless you buy a used car with at least 60,000 miles on it, it's not worth it to buy used.

On new cars, you can finance longer now(more than 60 months, i dont recommend it), and they have much better interest rates. If you have a smartphone you can download a car payment calculator. It will tell you how much you pay in interest over the course of the loan, and the end total of everything paid.

What i found helping a friend last year buy a car, she was better off buying a brand new car, because the used car had 30,000 miles on it, but in the end was only about $1000 cheaper in the end due to a higher interest rate. So that's 2 years of extra driving(15k per year) for $1000 which is like 4 month's payment.

As for cars, get a Forester. It has tons of rear leg room for your friends, a huge cargo area for your gear and gets 32mpg, and it's AWD. The crosstek is nice, it's an impreza with a lift kit, literally.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I can tell you what I have, which is a Mazda Tribute. Mazda retired them in 2012, so 2011 is the last year they made them. I don't know why they ever stopped. Ours is a 2005 with 150K and we have had to change literally nothing except the oil and a couple batteries. Nothing has ever gone wrong with anything from the sunroof to the window motors. Even things that I expected to go bad after wear (like the fuel pump etc.) are still just chugging away.

We put a trailer tow package on it and use a swagman 2 bike rack that has wheel rests to prevent wobble. It carries both bikes like a champ, even long distances and over rough terrain.

Regardless of what vehicle you get, I suggest you put a 2" trailer tow package and get the swagman Platform XC hitch rack: XC 2 – 64650 « Swagman

I am positive that you can get a really nice used 2011 Mazda tribute with very low miles for less than 20K. These guys are really beasts and last a very long time. But then, I am biased and starting to sound like a crappy salesman.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OKbkr View Post
    I can tell you what I have, which is a Mazda Tribute. Mazda retired them in 2012, so 2011 is the last year they made them. I don't know why they ever stopped. Ours is a 2005 with 150K and we have had to change literally nothing except the oil and a couple batteries. Nothing has ever gone wrong with anything from the sunroof to the window motors. Even things that I expected to go bad after wear (like the fuel pump etc.) are still just chugging away.

We put a trailer tow package on it and use a swagman 2 bike rack that has wheel rests to prevent wobble. It carries both bikes like a champ, even long distances and over rough terrain.

Regardless of what vehicle you get, I suggest you put a 2" trailer tow package and get the swagman Platform XC hitch rack: XC 2 – 64650 « Swagman

I am positive that you can get a really nice used 2011 Mazda tribute with very low miles for less than 20K. These guys are really beasts and last a very long time. But then, I am biased and starting to sound like a crappy salesman.
    Well that particular mazda is actually fully ford. It's a ford escape with a different front bumper, grill and headlights. Everything else is identical. They even came off the same assembly line. The styling is a bit dated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Well, in that case, it is a double bonus. There are small superficial differences, but when I look at the two, you are right. So then, can get a new one. I really like the vehicle. It gets decent mileage, too. On the highway, I average 23-25 miles per gallon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Well the new escape is a total redesign. Completely new chasis, engines and everything. Probably different engineers too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoeyeti View Post
    If you're considering the Audi A3 2.0T, take a look at the TDI. I've had mine for a year and have been very happy with it. I get around 40 MPG.
    +1. I have a 2012 Sportwagen TDI, 6-speed manual. No problems whatsoever, a blast to drive, and 40+ mpg.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Another vote for the Mazda 3...

I have a 2011 hatch in 6spd manual and the larger 2.5L engine that's coming up on 45k miles and I've done nothing but replace oil and tires (OEM were junk) and averaging 30 combined city/hwy and 33 hwy, better than rated. With the Skyactiv engines they all come with now you can get really good MPG and still have power.

The 3 handles great and hugs the road in sketchy conditions and is a blast to drive. The space in the hatch with seats down is enough for me to store 2 bikes with front wheels off, but opted for the hitch installation over the 3's roof mounted option so you've got options in transporting your bike.

Dealers in my area in NJ are listing 3s for around $18k plus all the usual taxes and fees so you may be able to score one new for less than $20k.

mtbr member
    My vote would be for an '07 WRX wagon. I have an '04 and just had to put a 2.5L block with a STi turbo/injectors in (teeth/ribs broke off timing belt on an interference engine...). The '07 already has the bigger block (and perhaps AVCS?) My point is that ~300 awhp (to the ground) is about perfect. Enough power to be happy (actually too much power to use on the street). Pulls ~25-28 mpg at 80 mph. Put some *slightly* bigger tires on and you pretty much don't have to worry about the weather.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 68 Hundred View Post
    My vote would be for an '07 WRX wagon. I have an '04 and just had to put a 2.5L block with a STi turbo/injectors in (teeth/ribs broke off timing belt on an interference engine...). The '07 already has the bigger block (and perhaps AVCS?) My point is that ~300 awhp (to the ground) is about perfect. Enough power to be happy (actually too much power to use on the street). Pulls ~25-28 mpg at 80 mph. Put some *slightly* bigger tires on and you pretty much don't have to worry about the weather.
    06 and 07 have the bigger block. 300whp is a lot for an STI (around 220-230 stock), so you aren't going to get there just with a bigger turbo, the 2.5 block and injectors, although that is most of the way there. Going to need the fuel pump, BOV that can deal with the increased pressure, likely a MBC, headers would be a good idea and UP if not already done.

In any case, I'm heading down to Seattle next week to specifically look at WRXs, I know enough about them (hopefully after owning a 2004 for years) that I'm comfortable working on them. Should be able to find 06s and 07s with relatively low miles, but beware there are a few lemons or ones that have just been pushed like crazy.

Captain Climber
    Why 07'?

Anybody know anything about the Nissan Juke?

Elitest thrill junkie
    06 and 07 are the most preferred years. 02-03 are the 2.0L "bug-eyes", most people don't like the body style, plus it's the smaller engine. 04-05 are good looking cars, especially with the STI front bumper IMO, but still hampered by the 2.0L. 06 and 07 not only have the big engine block, but significantly bigger injectors stock ( 550cc vs 440cc). The 06-07 wrx injectors are basically the same size as the STI, meaning one less thing you have to worry about to get more whp out of it.

08 was a turd, softer suspension, no real engine upgrade, in fact many considered the plastic manifold to be a downgrade, etc. These are the least desirable. The new hatch-style put a lot of people off too, without offering a sedan. This car was actually not a WRX anyway, it was actually sold in Japan as the Impreza GT. A few made it over to the use in MY09 I believe as that "spec", below the WRX.

08 is when the widebody STI hatch came out.

09 wrx finally got a good bump in power and was stiffened a bit.

10? is when they started doing the wide-body for the regular wrx hatches and sedans. This was a nice upgrade. I like the widebody hatch a lot and after owning a wagon I've got to think this is far more practical than the sedan. I don't know why anyone would want the sedan version. The STI tried to redefine what the wrx was by not having a sedan at first, but too many people complained and it too was offered in sedan and hatch trim (09?).

Most people tend to like the 06 and 07s the most, the combination of the bigger engine, bigger injectors, nice looking sedan (no more sedans for a while after this), etc. Parts are super-common and available. It's probably the #1 car for aftermarket mods and parts in terms of capability to price. You can mod a bmw 335 to be very fast, faster than an M3, but the cost is absolutely tremendous. You can mod a civic to be kinda fast, but you're limited by front wheel drive and having to switch out every part to get there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    06 and 07 have the bigger block. 300whp is a lot for an STI (around 220-230 stock), so you aren't going to get there just with a bigger turbo, the 2.5 block and injectors, although that is most of the way there. Going to need the fuel pump, BOV that can deal with the increased pressure, likely a MBC, headers would be a good idea and UP if not already done.
    crazy.
    I do have other supporting mods done. There is more I could have done but that means more money. Technically, I have 272 hp to the wheels, but this was on 205/75R15 General Graber AT2's. They're ~7-8% taller than stock, which both the engine builder and tuner stated was going to rob some power, at least on the dyno.

Jem7sk; Subaru added a few nice upgrades in the '06 to '07 model years as Jayem stated. The 2.5L (instead of the 2.0L) is huge. I notice a big difference in off boost driveability. '06 and '07 also get exhaust side active valve control; which helps make more power down low in the RPM band. They both still have the puny TD04 turbo, but changing that is pretty easy for any decent shop if you need more power. I like '07 because it would be 1 year newer than '06.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

Elitest thrill junkie
    I had a tuned 2.0, and right now I have an entirely different 450hp monster, but that 2.0 was plenty fast and super responsive, especially at lower speeds. So much fun at the speeds most people would usually be traveling at. I don't think the extra .5L makes much of a difference. The AVC and the injectors that will support more fuel and air make a pretty big difference. Evidently a few guys have done tests with the AVC and tested with and without to see the difference on the same engine, pretty large. More than anything this is usually attributed to the difference in the model years. Makes sense when you think about it, 2.0 and 2.5L engines are puny by comparison to larger ones, like 3.8, 5.0, 6.5, etc, but what could one really attribute for that increased response and power, the .5L by itself? By all means, get the 2.5L if you can, but the extra .5 isn't the big difference IMO.

These are super fun cars though. If one can find a solid one, it's a great car to own and use for mountain biking. I even had a nice hitch that "looped" around my borla exhaust.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Why don't you guys start your own thread, you're way off topic.

Back on topic, the juke is a nice car. I just think it's fugly. I think you'll feel the urge to trade it in before it's even paid off.

Personally, i like to buy cars that are a little more timeless. That way if "life happens", you can keep your car and drive it for several years while being paid off. It's really nice to take vacations, but in my case i had a baby last year and daycare is expensive($750 a month). With my 2008 impreza, i don't feel the need to upgrade or trade it in. I'm still enjoying the car as much as i did when i bought it. Especially today with all the freaking snow out right now. I'm also saving money with a paid off vehicle. I bought the car brand new with 5 miles on it, i anticipate i'll drive it for another 4 years before i get another car.

mtbr member
    Neseth - What do you consider 'timeless' vehicles?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast