mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Please recommend a 4 bike hitch rack that will work with my XC FS bikes?

I was looking at the Yakima Flipside, but that thing did not get many good reviews.

code: mtbr2011
    it's a good rack for sure...same bike arms as the swingdaddy, except it folds down differently by pivoting to the sides
    the reality is this...with your fs xc bikes, hang style racks are hardest to use.
    the platform racks, like the yakima holdup with the 2 bike extension are going to be the easiest to use without adapters and spending all day trying to load the bikes up there.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Yakima Holdup with the 2-bike add-on attachment is going to be your best bet for FS bikes. unfortunately, it's also one of the most expensive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Take a look at the Raxxter rack. I started with a 2-bike version and recently bought a 2-bike extension which attaches with two bolts. It does a great job of holding 4 FS bikes (including 2 FS 29ers) with no contact between the bikes. My main complaint with the 4-bike configuration is that it's really heavy and is about at the limit of what I can lift and mount into the hitch receiver. I don't know how its weight would compare to other 4-bike tray style racks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    +1 for the Raxter.

mtbr member
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Trabso
    nice racks....hard to get. i tried setting up to become a dealer and they wouldn't do it. they like to keep it small...
    i can't say i blame them.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by teelow
    Take a look at the Raxxter rack. I started with a 2-bike version and recently bought a 2-bike extension which attaches with two bolts. It does a great job of holding 4 FS bikes (including 2 FS 29ers) with no contact between the bikes. My main complaint with the 4-bike configuration is that it's really heavy and is about at the limit of what I can lift and mount into the hitch receiver. I don't know how its weight would compare to other 4-bike tray style racks.
    so why don't you mount the rack first, and then mount the bikes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    ONE WORD: SWAGMAN! They are far and away the best value in racks. Super solid, heavy duty easy to assemble and use. I can't say enough good things about this rack. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-...0720603&sr=1-3