mtbr member

Picking up a Scalpel next week - dealing with the Lefty

Here's my (1st world) dilemma...
    1. I have a Yakima/Thule 4-bike roof rack with 4 Echelon trays.
    2. My Land Cruiser - with the rack - barely clears the garage and most parking lots - comes in just under 7'0" (bigger tires, lifted a little)
    3. The Sidearm and HighRoller are several inches taller (when folded) than the Echelon - won't clear garages.
    4. A receiver hitch only solves part of the problem - means I have to drive all the time... my buddies have roof racks too.

Seems like my only option is the LeftUp? To use that, you've got to pull the wheel AFTER removing one brake caliper bolt and loosening the other to allow the caliper to swing clear of the rotor. But, the more I think about that... seems like a 30 second operation - and MUCH faster than swapping trays from roof to roof.

Anyone got any experience with the LeftUp?

Thanks!
    Last edited by OldZaskar; 02-08-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I don't have a Lefty but I've used the Pugsley ForkUp, and I also have their 15mm TA adapter, and I will say they work excellently but depending on the orientation they will add a few inches, to where it'd be very similar (but not as bad) as my Sidearm.

What about a Big Mouth or Criterium? I think the Criterium would be as bad as the Sidearm, but the Big Mouth is rather low profile when not in use.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Thanks Jared. I'll look at the Big Mouth - to see if it'll work with the Scalpel frame.

The LeftUp would not be left on the rack - just tossed in the truck when not in use - so no height issue. The upside there is being able to throw my bike on other fork-mount racks. I just wonder about the hassle of moving the brake caliper every time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I designed the Lefty Fork Up, at Cannondales request, but have used a Lefty on at least one of my bikes ever since. Removing the front wheel is a 30 second operation, there is no problems removing the wheel or the caliper.

mtbr member
    You also have the option of running the 1upusa on the roof. It is slightly lower than the Echelon and makes quick work of loading and unloading. I also bought the Lefty axle adapter but realistically after using it a few times I got tired of loosening the brake caliper and removing the front wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    oh wow, I had no idea the 1UP was that low profile. Very cool.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    oh wow, I had no idea the 1UP was that low profile. Very cool.
    I wanted to make a correction to my previous comment. The 1upUSA is NOT lower than the Thule when the arms are folded. I was looking at my car while getting gas and realized that although the tire tray is lower, the arms add back some height.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picking up a Scalpel next week - dealing with the Lefty-1up_1.jpg  

Picking up a Scalpel next week - dealing with the Lefty-1up_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have a Yakima standard rood bar system and use the "Cobra" attachment on my Lefty. Holds the bike solid....kills mileage though so if you're one that likes to leave your roof rack on your car, might not be the best option for you.

mtbr member
    Well, 2 months in and the Left Up is working out okay. It's not ideal - the whole removing the brake caliper, unbolting the wheel, reattaching the brake caliper, attaching the Left Up, is a bit a hassle. I guess I can't blame the Left Up - it's a simple solution a unique problem created by the Lefty. I think the ideal solution is a 1UpUsa hitch rack - just leave the damn wheel on and be done.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Had the same issues. Love the lefty (and the scalpel) but even putting it in my travel case takes a bit more thought (and use of the LeftUp). I've got a FJ Cruiser and the roof solution was to use the yakima rail grab to the factory rack but upside down so the cross bars are under the factory side rails. That let me use the Yakima Frontloader and just (by mm's) clear the garage door. But also use my hitch rack (thule apex 4 swing) for the short trips.