Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Pick up truck bike racks?

Looking for an alternative to just throwing my bike in the bed of my truck. i can fabricate and was thinking of making something but id like to see whats available(if such a thing even exists). I was thinking of something that mounts on the rails of the bed so that you still had your cargo space. i suppose i could also just get a hitch mount(which literally, JUST occured tome). I do like making things though, but if the price is right i would consider just buying something.

thanks!

for the record i have an 06 GMC Sierra 2500.

White Knuckle Rider
    A guy I ride with has these... and loves them. I can't imagine they would be THAT hard to make.

http://recrac.biz/
    EAT, DRINK, AND BE MERRY... FOR TOMORROW WE DIE.

code: mtbr2011
    check these out...locking and non locking versions.

http://www.cracksandracks.com/advanc...Submit2=Search

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    check these out...locking and non locking versions.

http://www.cracksandracks.com/advanc...Submit2=Search

Just ordered that from yah Scott! i dont think the MTBR coupon code worked for me, but its alright. I probably did it wrong, haha.

look forward to getting it and hope its safe and secure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I bought this Curtis Bike rack for my truck it bolts thru the ball mount hole in the step bumper

http://www.curtmfg.com/index.cfm?eve...&categoryid=43

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Pickup Truck bike rack ...

This discussion has come-up before on this forum ...

There are basically four types of racks for trucks;

1. The improvised bike hitch on a board or rail
    2. The stand-up slot - much like the traditional sidewalk bike rack, but in your truck. These are both manufactured and improvised using PVC pipe.
    3. There are small bracket type systems that brace your bike in standing position to the sidewall, and then addition brackets to tie additional bike toward the center. RecRac is the well known brand for this.
    4. Specialty racks that might go over the tailgate, or even use the tailgate gap to secure a rack of some sort - or, do highly compacting stuff like RempRack does (great for families that are pulling trailers).

There are - of course - the broad range of hitch-mounted racks which will also work with trucks.

Personally, I use the RempRack, and I am a huge fan.
    Family Camping and Biking! The Best!
    Dodge Ram 2002
    Nomad Travel Trailer
    RempRack Truck Bike Rack
    Five Bikes (mixed)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was looking into this one:
    http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...d%20Rider.aspx

But those RecRac's look even easier!

mtbr member
    When you say you have been throwing the bikes in the bed, do you mean just laying them down in there? Most ppl with pickup trucks up here just use a Dakine tailgate pad and are done with it!

Cheers

Buzz

mtbr member
    or get some sheet metal screws, some silicone, and one of these and spend 10 minutes installing it....

mtbr member extraordinair
    I made one out of angle iron, and a few of those fork mounts pictured above.

Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have the Thule Instagator...

I have a Tacoma 4-door with the short bed. I can fit my Large Santa Cruz in it with no problems by pointing the frame to the front corner. It's the best solution so far with thru-axle forks since you don't have to remove the front wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    When you say you have been throwing the bikes in the bed, do you mean just laying them down in there? Most ppl with pickup trucks up here just use a Dakine tailgate pad and are done with it!

Cheers

Buzz
    +1 moving blanket works well too, or the softride tailgate pad

mtbr member

PT Lumber

I made my rack out of PT lumber. I used 2x8's and basically made a rectangle with channels in it to "wedge" the tires into. I have 2 slots on the outside of the rectangle (outside of the bed) and one in the middle. The one in the middle is raised to half way up the 2x8 so that 3 bikes can all be loaded, front wheel forward, without handlebars hitting each other. The middle bike rides up higher than the 2 on the sides. I then use a bungee around the seat post and attach it to the rail for stabilization. The middle bike has a long bungee that mounts to the rack, comes up and over the top tube, and attaches to an eye-bolt on the other side. This rack allows you to leave your wheels on your bike during transport.

I built the rack so it is just about 1/8 inch too wide for the bed. That way, I can stand on it to wedge it into place and it won't move around. The 2 x 8 's are heavy enough that it's plenty stable.

If I want to carry more bikes, I can turn 2 bikes around and bungee them between the bikes in the slots so the entire bike is in the bed, or I can hang 2 over the tailgate shuttle style and there is plenty of room to stash gear in the vacant spots in the rack. Total of 5 bikes with the wheels on is a piece of cake.

I also screwed a piece of climbing webbing to the front of the rack so it has a handle. This makes it portable if I need to use the bed of my truck for other stuff.

Sorry I dont have a picture. It's buried under snow in the yard somewhere. Hope this made a little sense.

MTB NOLA
    I have a tonneau cover on my truck... keeps my gear safe and dry, it also allows more room in the cab for passengers... i made a bike mount using flat iron supports and a pair of sette hitch-it bike mounts..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pick up truck bike racks?-bike-rack-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vudu
    I have a tonneau cover on my truck... keeps my gear safe and dry, it also allows more room in the cab for passengers... i made a bike mount using flat iron supports and a pair of sette hitch-it bike mounts..
    That is awesome.

mtbr member
    This if you want to spend $0

This if you want to spend $70

Either way you can fit 9 bikes across a full size tail gate.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    softride's bed cover can be found pretty cheap
    http://www.softride.com/rack-product..._tail_gate_pad

mtbr member
    What I do:

Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    I posted this in "General Discussion" not realizing there was a Car & Driver section. I just bought an XTC 29er with this particular fork.

Mounting bracket for Fox 15QR thru axle
    What kind of bike do you have?
    A Sledgehammer.
    Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by achtungpv
    I have the Thule Instagator...

I have a Tacoma 4-door with the short bed. I can fit my Large Santa Cruz in it with no problems by pointing the frame to the front corner. It's the best solution so far with thru-axle forks since you don't have to remove the front wheel.

I have a Taco myself. Can anyone confirm that the InstaGator will work with a 64* HA?
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here is what I use. I have 2x4s under it, in an H pattern, as bracing. I made it just wide enough to fit between the fender wells of my buddy's step side ranger and run a tie down strap through the fork brackets to hold it in place. I spent 40 for the two brackets and 30 on treated wood.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just use a cheap garage rack and then strap them down.

DynoDon
    I use strap extentions to tie to the bike, then motorcycle tie downs, the scrap wood rack holds the front wheel in place, the bunge cord holds the rear wheel in place, the wood rack is not bolted in so removeable, I made it for one bicycle on each side and big enough for a motorcycle in the center.. some scrap wood a few drywall screws and it done.

one bike

bunge for rear tire

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am in the process of making one myself. I got two of the hollywood fork mounts similair to the thule pictured above. They were available at the local shop and half the price. Mouinted to a 2x4, the drilled two holes, and used 3/8 toggles bolts to mount into the stake pockets.

mtbr member
    [IMG][/IMG]

I just finished my over the soft cover rack.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast