Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Use a bed extender as a bike rack

I use my bed extender. I put some foam duct taped to the tubing as padding, use a strap to tie the downtube to the bed extender and ratchet strap to keep the rear from bouncing

it frees up the bed for camping gear, is useful when not carrying bikes and is super fast to load as I dont have to get into the bed to load bikes. It carries 4 bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I use a Delta fork mount for my Frontier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pick up truck bike racks?-bike-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm liking the $0 idea with the moving blanket because I'm still looking at spending a few hundo on my first mtnbk and some other equipment. My only questions are does it shift or move? Do you have to strap your baby down at all?

mtbr member
    You have to strap it down. It doesn't take much, you'll see the tailgate pads have little straps at the top. You can just use a strap across the top, making a round on each top tube.

mtbr member
    Lots of great ideas here! Thanks as I will incorporate some of these for myself!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I really like those delta fork mounts ... an easy solution for transporting your bike with your truck. Not bad for a $15 part.

mtbr member
    I also like the fork mount. I went ahead and splurged on a wheel bracket as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pick up truck bike racks?-1008121216.jpg  

Pick up truck bike racks?-1008121216a.jpg  

I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    I modified the plans for the PVC rack for 2 bikes and to fit the bed of a 1994 Chevy S-10; took me about two hours all told and fits perfect! VERY happy with the results! Pics to follow once I get it painted and it quits raining...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i fit 3 29er's in my 09 tacoma with the rocky mounts no problem.. but there's a third bike missing in this pic though (middle)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pick up truck bike racks?-598841_529881373705644_975400028_n.jpg  

2006 Trek 4300 Disc - Sold
    2009 K2 Sidewinder - Sold
    2012 Giant Talon 2 - Sold
    2013 Giant XTC 3 Composite - Current

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

An easy DIY Mountain Bike Fork Truck Mount

For forks with a 15mm through hole axle, I made a custom mount for <$10. Sure, there are conversion kits you can buy from Thule and Yakima, but they are upwards of $40 and clip on to an existing rack system. If you want to mount to a truck bed or SUV floor, then you need to buy two components, totaling ~$80. I went to two local bike shops and a specialty rack shop and no one had what I was looking for so I decided to make a quick stop by the local hardware store and design this on the fly.

I posted how to do this, search for "Mountain Bike Fork Truck Mount" on instructables.com to find it.

HTH.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pick up truck bike racks?-rackdiy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaTiRo View Post
    I use a Delta fork mount for my Frontier.
    i love this set-up. is it permanently attached to the utili-track, or removeable?
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

DIY version with Yakima trays

My DIY version, holds four bikes on my long bed Chevy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pick up truck bike racks?-img_4103-resize.jpg  

mtbr member
    Pick up truck bike racks?-img_0376-1024x765-.jpgPick up truck bike racks?-img_0378.jpg-2-1024x765-.jpgPick up truck bike racks?-img_0377.jpg-2-1024x765-.jpg

The obvious flaw is that the toolbox cannot be opened more than a few inches while the bike is mounted. This rarely bothers me as I keep most of my biking stuff in the back seat anyway. I paid about 13 bucks for the Delta hitch on Amazon. I reinforced the toolbox lid by bolting a 1x10 on the bottom side and used neoprene washers on all bolts to prevent leaking.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Last edited by benmara; 08-18-2013 at 08:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    mb2boost, for some reason your pics aren't showing. Could you please repost? I'm trying to find a good way to load three bikes into the back of my Dodge Ram. I tried the highly inefficient way of laying them in the bed. I like the idea of the pvc setup also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Karrack View Post
    mb2boost, for some reason your pics aren't showing. Could you please repost? I'm trying to find a good way to load three bikes into the back of my Dodge Ram. I tried the highly inefficient way of laying them in the bed. I like the idea of the pvc setup also.
    Pick up truck bike racks?-img_4103-resize.jpg

IM me if this doesn't work and I can email you a picture with details.

mtbr member
    Wait... somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Not a thing Zmy, but throw a third in there somewhere. Pedals and spokes everywhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I really like all the posts and replys concerning bike racks on tonneau covers; I have 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 with a hardtop Undercover Tonneau Cover. I was wondering if there has been amy progress in the industry for my type of tonneau cover. I really like the post with the Nissan Titan pickup because it looked to be the closest to my tonneu cover; however, I don't know the weight rating on the hydraulic cyclinders while the TC is open like in the photos of the Titan pickup truck.

i like rocks
    I TIG welded a pair of yakima bars end to end (with dom sleeve) and setup cross bars across my bed 2" narrower than my mirrors. landing pads are drilled and bolted through the top of the bed sides.

we love this setup, and have found it has numerous advantages.

1. doesn't mess with the bed floor! i can still go get a 4x8 sheet of plywood if i need it. its a truck! i haul crap with it! this is a big one for me.

2. doesn't interfere with the tool box. i can open and close the tool box if bikes are on the racks or not. it would be an EPIC hassle to have bikes mounted on the tool box.

3. wide enough to hold three bikes racks, ski racks, and my thule box.

4. surplus bike mounting over tailgate.

5. doesn't interfere with use of the bed!!

6. can be easily removed and resintalled with one person. easier with two, but totally doable with one.

Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I needed an efficient solution to get 5 bikes in my truck bed, and went with the Delta stableload load bar. It's a no frills no bling device, but has worked well so far and is expandable to 5 bikes, which is what I was after since my truck will seat 5. It also goes in and out easy, and I can use it with or without the toolbox--8' bed.

I have not had 5 bikes on it yet, but it will be tricky to get them all to clear handlebars with one another, but you can bolt the 15mm kuat dirtbags to either the front or top of it to stagger bikes. I haven't tried the dirtbag on it just yet to see if they will bolt up or need redrilled, I know the bolts patterns are different but the rack holes are oversized. I only use this for day trips so bed space concerns are not an issue, I have a 7 bike rack for my trailer that we use for trips.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just got 2 Dirtbags the other day to use in my Tacoma. I did need to re-drill the holes to accommodate larger bolts for the sliding track mounts, but it was not required. I can fit 3 fat bikes side by side, so it should hold more in a full size truck. Maybe 3 facing forward and two in between those facing backwards? BTW, I am underwhelmed by the weld quality of the Dirtbags- lots of slag just painted over. They are made in China, but like Kuat says, it's only $15.

JKA
    mtbr member
    I use a Pipeline bike rack. It's awesome. Set the bikes in and go. Super stable.
    Truck Bike Rack, Pickup Truck Bike Racks by Pipeline Racks

mtbr member
    I always build a rack that holds the bike upright in the bed of the truck, then bungie it to the rack. I like it because I can leave the wheels on.
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I used a similar method already shown in this thread.

Now I'm trying to figure out a way to come up with a holder for my wheels instead of them just being loose. Any ideas?

Pick up truck bike racks?-bike_rack_small.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast