mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Oversized load bars - problems?

Anyone ever use longer than recommended load bars on an Acura Integra 3 door/hatchback? I am looking to carry 3 bikes and a kayak across the country and I don't think I can fit it with my 48" bars. I am sure it will fit with 58" bars but I am worried about putting that long of bars on my roof when it only attaches on 2 doors. I have a Yakima system.

Any suggestions would help! Thanks!

Lots of paddlers use longer than recommended load bars. The general rule is that the bars cannot extend past your mirrors. Be careful about it, because I hear in some states, cops can be a little testy with this and pull you over for it even if it's close. Also, using longer than recommended load bars on a short car can result in lots of lumps on your head, and especially your passengers' heads.

Drunken fool
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    Also, using longer than recommended load bars on a short car can result in lots of lumps on your head, and especially your passengers' heads.
    We have longer than recommended bars on our VW and more than one person has whacked their head while getting out in a hurry, of course I've never done that
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

mtbr member
    check the yakima fit guide or website...you may need the qstretch kit to carry a kayak, the fact that you put longer bars on doesn't matter as long as you don't exceed the limits