50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tacoma

39 78.00%
  • Wrangler

11 22.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004

OT: Toyota tacoma with trd or Jeep Wrangler TJ?????

i am torn between these 2 vehicles....i need versalitity as well as fun..i would get the ext cab tacoma with trd off road pkg. the mean lookin ones.....or a jeep wrangler which can be made into a mean lookin vehicle.....help pleaz

King Pin

... and if we just ... Dude.....

Jeeps are nice, and can be made nicer.

But...my '98 Tacoma TRD with the factory supercharger is more than nice.....she is an animal! IMO, you'll spend money on the Jeep product in repairs and such, I have not spent ONE dime (in eighty thousand miles...) in repairs on the Toyota.

Get the Tacoma, decide whether or not you need the blower, and go from there. You will not be disappointed.

I'd like a nice Jeep someday...as a second vehicle..................

banned

some thoughts about the Tacoma

TRD O/R package is not necessary, and you're paying primarily for the garish decals that go on the sides of the truck.

4WD is only slightly more expensive than the TRD package and gives you a hell of a lot more improvements for off-road.

4WD + TRD is a HUGE waste of money.

Those are the lessons I learned when shopping for my new Tacoma in 1998. It just turned 70k miles and has been running happily for 5.5 years. I can't say the same about ANY Jeep product, as most of the ones my friends have owned have been plagued with troubles, the least of which has been gas mileage WAAAAAY under the EPA estimate, which generally is very conservative.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

no contest.

jeeps are totally impracticle and expensive and not really built for offroad.
    buy the toyota, exspensive but good resale and it will last forever.
    I've been inside too long.

Siddartha Gautama

Toyota.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    i am torn between these 2 vehicles....i need versalitity as well as fun..i would get the ext cab tacoma with trd off road pkg. the mean lookin ones.....or a jeep wrangler which can be made into a mean lookin vehicle.....help pleaz
    I've never owned a Tacoma, so I won't comment on it specifically. But I'll cast a vote for the Tacoma. I own a 4Runner and am quite happy. Tough as nails, reliable and can really handle the serious off-road stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    The Toyota hands down...

I have a extra cab 4x4 V6 Toyota pickup and it can do it all, the bed is great for bikes.

sufferer of a.d.d.
    well i guess i'll be the odd man and say...TOYOTA! the resale is one of the best of any car made, and there is a reason for that. they are great trucks

mtbr member
    i'll be the first to vote for the tj. i've known quite a few people that have had them for over 100,000 miles and had no problem. i owned an '88 yj and also had zero problems even with the amc designed six and constant mudding/thrashing. i put over 100k on that jeep until i sold it for $1000 more than i paid for it. wranglers actually hold their value pretty well, especially if you sell in the summer. i actually looked at a few toyota pickup trucks and found a better deal on the jeep. as far as jeep's not being made for off road, that's pretty ridiculous. ask anyone into four wheelin and they'll usually say solid axle over ifs any day. jeeps have really gotten better the past few years with the redesigns.

Flying Gorilla

New question here.

I don't have an opinion here, but I'm curious as to how you narrowed your search down to these two vehicles? Nothing wrong with either car, but it seems odd since they are in completely different fields. One is a a pickup truck and the other is the sports car of the SUV world. These two become the finalists? Seems like you would come to two trucks or two small suv's. I'm not criticizing, just confused/curious.

Have fun with the new wheels. and I'd like to have a jeep if that means anything to ya.
    Friends don't let friends ride junk

Project Paragon

Happy Trails,
    Ellison

KgB
    SNGLSPD

Rubicon

Quote Originally Posted by FuelFan90
    as far as jeep's not being made for off road, that's pretty ridiculous. ask anyone into four wheelin and they'll usually say solid axle over ifs any day. jeeps have really gotten better the past few years with the redesigns.
    The Rubicon jeep is pretty hardcore,The best jeep ever to come off the assembly line.

suck it trebeK
    Jeep not meant for offroad? What are you on? Nothing beats it. (I'm speaking of the Wrangler)

KgB
    SNGLSPD

Jeep video

nothing beats a wrangler like Moab
    http://www.vintageoffroad.com/videos/hellsroll2.mpeg
    Last edited by KgB; 02-12-2004 at 09:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dude,
    Taco's are definitely versatile and pretty fun. Lots of mods you can do to the V6 engine. Get the 4x4 w/ locking diff. I'd go TRD from factory to keep it simple although you can add that stuff aftermarket for cheaper if you like to do mods and stuff.

For pure fun and offroad its the jeep hands down. Not the most versatile vehicle, but has the "IT" factor and the best choice if offroading is a high priority.

All in all I'd go for the taco.

It's not what you think.

I vote Toyota

I can't even imagine Home Depot runs without my truck or hauling tools and people for trail maintenace or loading up camp gear, bikes and weeks worth of fire wood in a jeep wrangler... I have the 4dr TRD Prerunner. I use it almost every week in the Georgia Mtns on unimproved fire roads and old logging roads; with the locking differential and a set of agressive all terrain tires I've rarely wished for 4wd.

As you can see, the Tacoma is very popular around here...and for good reason!

I am lost, I'm no guide
    If you've narrowed it down to these cars, it's really a no brainer. The Toyota is a much superior vehicle in all aspects (performance, warranty, resale, dependability, etc...). I have owned a 4 cylinder 87 4x4 Toyota (180k miles on it w/ all original parts) before some airhead ran a stop sign and totalled it. I then graduated to a 95 6 cyl Tacoma 4x4 and had 134k on all original parts it when my wife decided to get pregnant and I needed more room. That sold for $12k. I then bought a 2001 Tundra. My transmission crapped out w/ 15k miles on it, but Toyota replaced it, (obviously free of charge) and hooked me up w/ a Sequoia while it was being fixed. I now have 70k on it and nothing wrong to report. I challenge you to find any review out there that says that the Jeep is a better vehicle...

Pedal Damnit

wait a couple months

I own a 2000 Jeep TJ and haven't had one problem with it, but it is not a practical vehicle
    especially when compared to the Tacoma. I would already own a Tacoma if you could take the top off, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon. I luv my Jeep but the problem is that you can either have passengers or stuff but not both. bike stuff is the worst cause it takes up so much room.If you wait a couple months they're bringing out a new one called the Jeep Unlimited which is gonna be 12" or 15" longer, quieter and have a better towing capacity. It's supposed to be a mid year model. check it out on their site jeep.com or something.

formerly Giantxc

... and if we just ... Depends on your daily needs

How much do you drive? When I bought my Wranger few years ago I was looking at it or an extended cab pick-up w/ 4 wheel drive too. Since I don't drive to work, fun won out over practicality. There are days I regret it, but others that I definitely don't.

As a bunch of people have already pointed out the Wrangler is a very impractical vehicle but a hell of a lot of fun. Long drives in winter can be down right painful, its loud, fuel efficiency blows and the 4cyl model lacks power at highway speeds. That said, there is nothing better than driving through rough back country roads on the way to a ride or camping trip with the top down and the stereo blasting.

mtbr member

Not really a choice!

I worked in college as a mechanic and i bought a tacoma (4X4, ext, v6) i kept it until it had 80k on it (sold and got a 4Runner) and i had zero problems. all i did was change the oil (used synthetic -- recomend Amsoil) and the aire filter (k&n) and i got better gas mileage at 80k than i did when i bought it. I used this truck and beat this truck and still nothing wrong.

Jeeps are loaded with problems in general, a friend of mine was a jeep guy through and through, as he and his other friends gave me grief for owning a toyota. of course they were the one's in the shop at least once a month. Other people i know have gone against my advice and bought newer jeeps lately and have had a list of problems and recalls. there is a reason that jeep offers so many incentives to buy -- they are hard to sell otherwise!

Bottom line is you can't beat Toyota for reliability, resale, value, and all around versatility and durability.

jrm
    mtbr member

Taco Taco..

The 2WD TRD Is a nice truck. Bilstein suspension, increased wheel travel & ground clearance and electronic rear dif locker. Itst he closest you can come to owning a 4X without the added weight and expense.

Ive owned 3 Jeeps in the past. They were good vehicles but they arent up to par with toyotas.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

kind of dependson what you want to do

with the vehicle.

I have a '96 Taco with 118,000 miles and can't say enough about how reliable it's been. I had to swap out my front struts at about 80k since they were leaking but I put in better, aftermarket struts for about the same price. Other than that, no problems at all.

sounds like you basically have to decide between a truck and a small SUV. I've driven a truck for 14 years and can never see myself not owning one. They're just too darn convenient. I always chuckle when I see the poor bastids at Home Depot or other stores trying to cram a large item into their car or SUV when all I have to do is throw it in the bed and drive away. I see some people and as kids they just never got the fact that square peg does not go into round hole! ;-)

The Jeep Rubicon may actually be a better vehicle out of the box for off road capability but with a few minor mods to a 4WD Taco you can greatly increase the off road worthiness of it. the Rubicon is solid front axle which is better for the trail over IFS but if you aren't going to do serious off roading then it's not going to really matter.

if you do get the Taco, I personally wouldn't get the TuRD (sorry, that's just the first thing I think of when I see the emblem, and not becuase it sucks, just what pops into my head) package simply because you can add the parts for less money. The front struts and rear shocks can easily be purchased aftermarket and the aftermarket options are far superior. Sway-a-way front coil over shocks are far better than the TRD option and you have the ability to adjust the life they provide from 0 to 3.5 inches (2 inch max if you run Autiomatic Disconnecting Differentials in the front though or else you'll rip up your CV joints). Put some quality shocks on the rear and add a leaf to the spring pack or put on new shackles to level the lift out and you're golden. Then, just throw in an ARB rear locker and you've got a better TRD package minus the obnoxious stickers for far less money.

The Prerunner is, IMHO a waste of money. It's for people who want their truck to look like a 4WD but will never actually drive it on dirt.

So, my vote is for the Taco but I'm definately biased.

Check out http://www.ttora.com for more unbiased opinions and to see what some people have done to their trucks by way of mods.

YR

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Go with the Toyota

If it weren't for my little girls wanting some trunk space, I would still have my '01 - 4-door TRD.

The re-sale on this truck was incredible. Even with 50,000 miles, bent rear bumper and some dings. The truck was paid off when I traded her in and the dealership gave me almost $15,000 for her.

Hauling bikes was easy back-in-the-day. Can't wait to purchase my new Yakima roof rack.

Good luck with your choice.

Joe

likes milk

I've owned both. I now have a 03 Tacoma Double Cab and I can't believe I didn't own one sooner. I too was torn between the two vehicles but the versatility of having a vehicle with more interior plus a bed won out over the Rubicon. I don't regret it one single bit. (well, maybe during summer when I could take the top off.....chicks dig that ). I suggest test driving and honestly asking yourself what the vehicle is going to be used for and you should come up with the best answer for you.

If you are a home owner.........I suggest the Toyota. Jeeps don't do well at Home Depot.
    jeff

Village Dirtbag
    I think people are going a little overboard about the reliabilty of Jeeps. I have a 1995 Cherokee with 146k miles. I've had to replace lots of wear and tear items like brakes, belts, filters, etc. However, I've only had two premature failures that whole time: the water pump and the catalytic convertor. The water pump started making noise about a month before I replaced it, so I was in no danger of being stranded. The part was about $40 and the install was easy. The cat was still getting me past emissions, but it was making rattling noises, so I replaced it with a $100 aftermarket cat just because it was bugging me. That's it. I'm even still on the original clutch! Not bad for 145k! I wouldn't let $140 in minor repair make my vehicle choice. (The Cherokee uses the same engine and much of the same running gear as the Wrangler). The reliability of Japanese vehicles is good, but a little overrated. I've had more problems with my 98 Accord with 110k than I've had with my Jeep.

Also, the Wrangler will be better off road since it has a much shorter wheelbase, a solid front axle, and better approach, departure, and breakover angles. Wranglers also have AWESOME resale value- probably the best of any American (I guess German now) car.

That said, the Wrangler will be a more sparten and less practical vehicle than the Tacoma. The Toyota will probably be a bit more reliable, more versatile, and easier to live with day to day. The Wrangler will be more of a specialized, cool, fun toy.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

So you agree then...

Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    I The Toyota will probably be a bit more reliable, more versatile, .
    spoken from a long time Jeep owner.

gotta love it.

rob
    slakDawg
    Welllll...I've owned my Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande (4 cyl) since 96 and I'm looking at getting a Tacoma Crew Cab now, and keep the Jeep as a 2nd vehicle. As a daily ride it is really starting to wear thin on me; loud, bad gas mileage, noisy, no uphill power (with oversized tires & w/o changing gears), breezy, did I mention loud and noisy. Gotta crank the stereo WAY up.

As far as reliability, it's been pretty good for what I've put it through. I've replaced my catalytic converter and needed to rebuild the engine at 90K miles, but that was mostly my fault for not changing or checking the oil, so I threw a rod when a piston stuck. I've got over a 130K miles now and still running strong. It definitely is tight for space when packing for a trip and is only good for 2 people with gear, which is fine when I take off for a biking trip. With the family we take my wife's vehicle.

All said and done, I love the Jeep, but really want a smoother, quieter ride for the daily commute. Whatever you decide, look past the excitement of a new vehicle and think down the "road" a few months with what your needs actually are, go from there. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast