Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Ordered the Kuat NV rack

After extensive research and based on my goals, targeted use and vehicle I ended up going with the Kuat NV rack.

I should have it early next week and hope to put it to use immediately, stay tuned for first impressions.
    2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite

vbx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Awesome. Post some pics of it installed when you get it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have the Core and love it. I didn't think I'd need the added features vs. cost. I did opt to buy the lock kit for the core though. I also liked the curved mount, which is a huge plus for me and my driveway. That was an important consideration for me.

Love the rack, as I'm sure you will love yours! (Unless you have a tough drive to back out of!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vbx View Post
    Awesome. Post some pics of it installed when you get it.
    I should have it by tomorrow and hope to use it this coming Sunday. Pics will be provided!

Quote Originally Posted by sean poul View Post
    Hey dude that's great.When you get it please share some pictures with us and also share your first ride experience.
    Absolutely! First ride with the new bike or using the rack?

Quote Originally Posted by iCollector View Post
    I have the Core and love it. I didn't think I'd need the added features vs. cost. I did opt to buy the lock kit for the core though. I also liked the curved mount, which is a huge plus for me and my driveway. That was an important consideration for me.

Love the rack, as I'm sure you will love yours! (Unless you have a tough drive to back out of!)
    I thought about it and decided to go with the NV as I can see going camping with some friends and needing the extra capabilities.
    Glad you like your Core, looks like a great rack as well.

I got an NV a few months ago. I've done several trips with it at about 60-70mi. I've taken it down a few gravel roads. This past weekend had some pretty steep ones. In about 2 weeks, I'll be taking it out to a bike fest. Unfortunately, it looks like parking will be separated from the camping area, so the workstand capability of it might not be all that useful. I'll probably bring my Park stand along for campsite use.

It's been a great rack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I got an NV a few months ago. I've done several trips with it at about 60-70mi. I've taken it down a few gravel roads. This past weekend had some pretty steep ones. In about 2 weeks, I'll be taking it out to a bike fest. Unfortunately, it looks like parking will be separated from the camping area, so the workstand capability of it might not be all that useful. I'll probably bring my Park stand along for campsite use.

It's been a great rack.
    Looking forward to hearing about bike fest after you return from that trip.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this rack, looks like mine just arrived at the house today!

I should be using it this Sunday and can't wait!

mtbr member

Rack assembled with pic's

Put the rack together yesterday and took some pic's.

Assembly was as easy as it gets, maybe took me 20 minutes including unpacking the parts. All tools necessary come with the rack, you also get 3 keys for each lock. I would like to add that the rack was packaged very well.

My 29'er fits very well and feels nice and secure. When we put my neighbors Stache 8 on with my bike we had to move my seat down in order for both bikes to be on the rack and not touch. Not an issue for us as our handle bars are wide and this would be the case on any rack would be my guess.

A couple pic's (had some issues trying to load others?)

Ordered the Kuat NV rack-img_2475.jpg

Ordered the Kuat NV rack-img_2479.jpg

mtbr member
    Ordered the Kuat NV rack-img_2477.jpg

mtbr member
    Cleaning my chain using the work stand

Ordered the Kuat NV rack-img_2481.jpg

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I recently "retired" my Kuat NV after nearly 3yrs of use.

Pros: good clearance between bikes, rack drops down lower than a Thule T2, durable, light, great customer service, locks actually provide some security, workstand is cool, replacement parts are reasonably priced and easy to get, looks great.

Cons: Horizontal clearance between hitch pin and inboard bike tray is about 13".... compared to 16" on similar Yakima and 17"+ on Thule T2. So, if you run wide (28"+) handlebars and have a van, SUV or pickup with canopy, depending on your hitch, this may lead to handlebars hitting the glass when driving over speedbumps or rough roads. This is exacerbated by play which develops in the main pivot ass'y over time. In my case, this led to a broken rear window ($250) and plenty of dings & scratches in the replacement window. The only solution was a hitch extension, which I tried and hated. So, I've replaced the Kuat with a Thule T2 which solved the problem with room to spare.

Kuat customer service was great and I recommended they consider extending their hitch tongues to provide similar clearance to their competition. For reference, I had similar clearance to Neumonic between the bike and car, but I run 30" riser bars which puts my grips 1-2" closer to the glass. I would not recommend their current design to anyone who runs wide bars and drives a van, SUV or pickup with canopy.

mtbr member
    Great feedback FM! I really appreciate you sharing your experience here because that is what these topics and posts are all about.

I hope I do not lose a back window or make contact either. We didn't get to ride last Sunday, so far all I am doing is driving around with an empty rack back there...This Sunday I hope to get out, I am already bummed it has been over a week since my last outing.

Keep you all posted...

mtbr member
    Im with FM on this one. Bought a 'used' (had been used 2-3x by previous owner) Kuat NV 1.25 for our new wagon. The wagon has a 2" receiver, so I had to use an adapter to get it to work. This works out well in that it gives the extra clearance FM talks about it needing. I cannot open the rear hatch with the bikes on, but with them off it works fine (or if I slightly tilt the rack down with the bikes on).
    The main issue I see right now is the play in the pin that you use to fold the rack up and down. In either position there is play when the pin is engaged, and I can see it getting worse over time.
    I cant get around the fact that our wagon is low, so any rack will also sit quite low to the ground. The extra play and wobble in some of the parts is what I find quite disconcerting. Oh yeah, one of the arms that holds the front wheel in place also has quite a bit of lateral play to it as well, and im not sure this can be easily fixed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I recently "retired" my Kuat NV after nearly 3yrs of use.

Cons: Horizontal clearance between hitch pin and inboard bike tray is about 13".... compared to 16" on similar Yakima and 17"+ on Thule T2. So, if you run wide (28"+) handlebars and have a van, SUV or pickup with canopy, depending on your hitch, this may lead to handlebars hitting the glass when driving over speedbumps or rough roads. This is exacerbated by play which develops in the main pivot ass'y over time. In my case, this led to a broken rear window ($250) and plenty of dings & scratches in the replacement window. The only solution was a hitch extension, which I tried and hated. So, I've replaced the Kuat with a Thule T2 which solved the problem with room to spare.

Kuat customer service was great and I recommended they consider extending their hitch tongues to provide similar clearance to their competition. For reference, I had similar clearance to Neumonic between the bike and car, but I run 30" riser bars which puts my grips 1-2" closer to the glass. I would not recommend their current design to anyone who runs wide bars and drives a van, SUV or pickup with canopy.
    Im running 780's flatbars on my primary MTB as well and the glass on my SUV slopes in. If i put the bike on the outermost tray, do you think there will still be problems?
    Thanks!
    J

mtbr member
    I have used my Kuat NV 2" setup several times now, the rack functions perfectly with two 29's on back and the bikes never make contact with my vehicle or with each other. Personally I would recommend the rack I have.

mtbr member
    If you don't mind, what's the width of your handlebars? Based on your pictures even if mine are a few inches wider i could just put my bike on the outermost tray and be fine.
    Thanks
    J

mtbr member
    My handle bars are 28 1/2" wide and my neighbors bike has 30" wide handle bars.
    Last edited by Neumonic; 10-08-2013 at 02:18 PM.

mtbr member
    That's great news, thanks!
    j

mtbr member
    I asked Kuat the same question, less than a couple of hours ago, it's sunday night and the current time is 10:30 est. and I've already gotten a response. That's some damn fine customer service.
    I've already got a buyer for my current rack (which supported my bikes by the frame), can't wait to get an NV.
    J

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jongalt26 View Post
    I asked Kuat the same question, less than a couple of hours ago, it's sunday night and the current time is 10:30 est. and I've already gotten a response. That's some damn fine customer service.
    I've already got a buyer for my current rack (which supported my bikes by the frame), can't wait to get an NV.
    J
    Let us know when you get yours, looking forward to your first impressions and of course feedback after putting it to good use!

I had both my neighbors Stache 8 and my bike on again this past Sunday, works perfect and so simple to load and unload. Sure makes for a better overall experience in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have had Kuat NV for two years and have been satisfied with the experience for the most part. The ratcheting arms seized within a month but were quickly warrantied by Kuat. The pivots have gotten sloppy and allows a significant amount of movement but the most troubling is the rack trays are so wide that they completely block my rear plate in the folded position. So much that I've been pulled over and issued a $196 fine...TWICE!! I recently got pulled over again for the same but was given a warning. I know that not all cars and trucks will be equally affected and the level of obstruction will vary but its something you should be aware of. It's currently on a BMW E90 and I'm seriuosly considering changing it to T2 or a Yakima

mtbr member
    I have only read about play with the smaller recievers, I have the 2" model and it feels sturdy so far.
    Thanks to feedback like yours regarding your plate being blocked, I remove my rack when I'm not using it in an effort to avoid any issues with local law enforcement. Not sure if other racks will offer full exposure of your lisence plate, sounds like your local law enforcement are going a little overboard in your area unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neumonic View Post
    Let us know when you get yours, looking forward to your first impressions and of course feedback after putting it to good use!
    Quote Originally Posted by team ti View Post
    It's currently on a BMW E90 and I'm seriuosly considering changing it to an X3 or X5
    Will do, it's going to be at least a few weeks, currently rehabing a knee injury.

I fixed it for you Team Ti!

J

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jongalt26 View Post
    Will do, it's going to be at least a few weeks, currently rehabing a knee injury.

I fixed it for you Team Ti!

J
    Sounds good...Took me a minute to figure out what you did with team ti's post Jongalt26! lol

mtbr member
    I've had a Core for about 6 months. What ever you do don't take it on a 45 mile difficult off road jeep trail...it'll break. I stripped out the threads where the hitch pin screws in and backed it into a boulder and broke one of the tire trays. Easy fixes on both but $70. Other than my own stupid breaking of it I love it. I might find a way to eliminate the play in the hitch though.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just picked up a Core this afternoon. Have yet to put it together. Where are you finding play in the hitch; with the adapter or the pin? Are you fitting your Core to a 1-1/4" or 2" receiver?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast