View Poll Results: Should I use this thing?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do it, it's functional

1 50.00%
  • Not a chance!

1 50.00%
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

old ghetto trunk rack + nice bike = ?

Hello, I am sick of taking off my front and rear wheel on my new ibis. I have a car that is getting old and plan I get a new one when I get a job (hopefully soon). A friend suggested I get a cheap trunk rack, and i remembered I have and old school metal two prong one in my garage. It looks possibly more sturdy than the newer plastic looking ones. By placing the bike through the rear hole above shock, and the other prong under my fork/frame the bike sits pretty sturdy. I used some green duct tape, and pool floaty noodles cut up to protect the bike. I don't trust the old straps so I ordered new top straps that take most of the weight. Then I'll use the old two and attach side/side and another to the bottom of the trunk. The rack seems secure, and the bike tied down seems secure. My question is should I go through with this? possibility bike/rack will break off? I'm aware it's ugly but it appears to be functional. What should I do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old ghetto trunk rack + nice bike = ?-bike_wrack.jpg  

old ghetto trunk rack + nice bike = ?-rack_clearance.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by schoolisbad1; 10-26-2012 at 01:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Go with it! Maybe wrap the swimmies with black, cloth, hockey tape if you don't want them to stand out so much.

Then get a roof rack when you get your new car!