Thread: Nissan Nv Van

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009

Nissan Nv Van

This newly designed van seats 12, all seats can be removed, thus it is perfect for taking lots of people and bikes to the trailhead, but I have yet to find a suitable base rack for attaching bikes and kayaks to the roof. Nissan's marketing department tricked by showing this unit on it's way in mountains with kayaks on top, attached to a simple base rack.

I assume the "big boys" Yakima - Thule will offer something soon,,, but I need a base rack now. So, does anyone know of a solution, other than the standard roof top Ladder hauler?
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Nissan Pathfinder 2013 model

I just bought a new Pathfinder. Any suggestion as to the best bike hitch rack to get? Looking for the best one for the money spent. Also would like 4 bikes but mainly going to just carry one or two bikes. Thanks, can't start a new thread because I am new to the forum and it won't let me!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I prefer to get a van

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Does the van have the traditional rain gutters? Otherwise you could drill the roof and use either Thule or Yakima systems. That would provide a very secure mounting system.

skobiken
    Jun 2009
    This site shows fix points on the roof for mounting a rack:
    Nissan NV High Roof Galvanized Steel Van Rack by Topper Mfg, UPEC-KD-NISSAN-10

So you can probably use one of the yakima landing pads (eg landing pad 11) that are made for mounting to those. Thule has something similar. Find a bike shop that's well stocked with rack parts and ask them to let you try some out.

Otherwise, if they're recessed enough, I'd try to mount tracks to those points. Maybe even just attach a 3 inch or so section of track to each point. That'd be plenty to mount the rack to. Artificial rain gutters would work for that too...

If the points are too far apart you can do tracks on the sheet metal. It just won't be quite as solid as the fix points.

skobiken
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IceBerg6060 View Post
    I just bought a new Pathfinder. Any suggestion as to the best bike hitch rack to get? Looking for the best one for the money spent. Also would like 4 bikes but mainly going to just carry one or two bikes. Thanks, can't start a new thread because I am new to the forum and it won't let me!
    IMO, best for the money are the Swagman xtc racks. They make a 2 and 4 bike version. They may not be the best out there, but they work very well.

Since you're mainly going to be carrying 1-2 bikes it may make more sense in the long term to get one of the 2 bike racks with and add on for more bikes. Bit less hassle than putting a four bike rack on the car every time you want to go for a ride. Those are covered pretty well in other threads... the usual suspects are the 1 up (check the huge thread on it), thule t2, yakima hold up, and kuat nv.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks Bad Idea I am going to look into the add on racks. Appreciate the help!