Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Nissan Murano?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: StuntmanMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    594

    Nissan Murano?

    I'm looking into getting some sort of hatchback or SUV to replace my '97 Grand Cherokee. AWD preffered.

    Anyway, I saw a Murano today and it made me think of those. I really liked them when they first came out, but haven't given them a thought till now.

    Thinking of maybe a '06-'08.

    Anyone have one? How do you like it.? How's the ride/relibility/mpg?

    Thanks for any info!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    100
    I have heard they have had tranny issues. Not sure which year though. Gas mileage sucks to. My SIL has an 07 or 08 and she complains about the MPG, shifting and poor AWD.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    133
    it has nothing to do with the Murano ! the tranny problems are , 05,06,07 auto trans in the xterra, frontier , pathfinder. and Nissan is coveing the cost of repairs if you have one, i know because i have a xterra with the problem, they treated me great, so good infact i bought a brand new 2012 xterra pro4x. the gas milage is lacking because the vehicle is heavy and built like a tank,and poweful.also because the body is mounted on a tuck fame! but still 15 to 20 mpg

    If you mountain bike ,camp, and lead an active lifestyle the nissan xterra is the best around, they are safe and geat in the snow! lots of little places to hold wet clothes, helmets, tiedowns roof rack! nice!!!

    Nissan makes a great auto!!

  4. #4
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    537
    We got one as a rental in CA a few weeks back and didn't really like it. The folks in the back seat said it rode hard through bumps and corners - I was driving and didn't feel that. The thing I noticed was the interior was just okay - kind of had a minivan feel and the seat was not very comfortable. We drove Hwy 1 along the coast and it had a ton of curves, which the Murano handled just okay - seems stiff in the handling. There are a lot of choices in this class and for those reasons alone, I'd look at something else.

  5. #5
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,975
    No Morono for me (or other Nissan product). They still have a lot of fit and finish issues (headliner pulling away from inside of roof) only after a couple of years, strange electrical problems, etc. I rented a few Infiniti's car and FX-45 a couple years ago and was not impressed at all.

    Honda & Hyundai are probably the best foreign car values if you plan on turning 100k miles or more. I don't keep tabs on domestic auto manufacturers any more...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: StuntmanMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by winginit View Post
    it has nothing to do with the Murano ! the tranny problems are , 05,06,07 auto trans in the xterra, frontier , pathfinder. and Nissan is coveing the cost of repairs if you have one, i know because i have a xterra with the problem, they treated me great, so good infact i bought a brand new 2012 xterra pro4x. the gas milage is lacking because the vehicle is heavy and built like a tank,and poweful.also because the body is mounted on a tuck fame! but still 15 to 20 mpg

    If you mountain bike ,camp, and lead an active lifestyle the nissan xterra is the best around, they are safe and geat in the snow! lots of little places to hold wet clothes, helmets, tiedowns roof rack! nice!!!

    Nissan makes a great auto!!
    I assume you're talking about "SMOD" as far as the tranny problems? I read all about it last year on the Xterra board while I was researching them.

    While I agree that the X is prob a great active lifestyle vehicle, I've decided against one for a few reasons: I don't want soemthing I'd be tempted to mod....the X looks WAY too good with a 2' lift and 285's to resist doing that. I've decided I want a more carlike, luxurious interior. The X looks functional inside, but it looks very simple and dated with few frills. I don't want to deal with expensive rear end problems. I have two friends with 2nd gen X's, both required expensive rear axle repairs, one at around the 100k mark, another ('07) very recently at the 87k mark. Neither one had ever been offroad, they're just family cars. Considering my '97 Grand Cherokee has the much lamented Dana 35 rear axle and didn't need any maint at all untill the axle seals started leaking at 145k miles, the rearend problems i nthe X are simply unacceptable.

    I DO really like the VQ engine and the fact that it's a great looking, body on frame vehicle.

    However, I've decided that if I DO decide to go with a "real" SUV and not a crossover thing, it'll be a '05-ish 4Runner for reliability's sake.

    I'm not really a fan of crossovers, it's just that there's really no place to wheel anywhere close by, so I don't need that capability. Interior space, comfort, ride, and mpg are more important to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    No Morono for me (or other Nissan product). They still have a lot of fit and finish issues (headliner pulling away from inside of roof) only after a couple of years, strange electrical problems, etc. I rented a few Infiniti's car and FX-45 a couple years ago and was not impressed at all.

    Honda & Hyundai are probably the best foreign car values if you plan on turning 100k miles or more. I don't keep tabs on domestic auto manufacturers any more...
    Hmmm, one thing I had read about the Murano was that the interior was supposed to be nice. I agree about Honda and Hyundai, it's just that neither of them make exactly what I want. Maybe I'll just go the boring route and pick up a 4cyl Accord.

    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    We got one as a rental in CA a few weeks back and didn't really like it. The folks in the back seat said it rode hard through bumps and corners - I was driving and didn't feel that. The thing I noticed was the interior was just okay - kind of had a minivan feel and the seat was not very comfortable. We drove Hwy 1 along the coast and it had a ton of curves, which the Murano handled just okay - seems stiff in the handling. There are a lot of choices in this class and for those reasons alone, I'd look at something else.
    I had read that they ride a bit stiff, I don't really mind that too much, as it supposedly contributeted to crisp (for an SUV) handling. Uncomfortable seat is not good though - I do alot of driving, so I need a comfy seat!

    In fact I was in Vegas last week with a Kia Soul rental. Great little car, except for the driver's seat. Short rides were okay, but after spending a stretch of a few hours in it, my lower back was not happy!

    And as far as the comments on "poor mpg" with the Murano, please elaborate.

    What is "poor" ? It's all relative....if you come from a Civic and are used to getting 35mpg, then 20-25mpg would be poor. However, coming from a 16mpg Jeep, 20-25mpg would be great!

    Just saying them ielage is bad really tells me nothing. If I could average say 22-25 mixed with the Mo I'd be happy with that.

    Heck I was looking into 05-09 Subie Outbacks, and they're only rated at 26 highway...average mpg seems to be from 20-23. Pretty poor for a small 2.5L 4cyl. Which incidentaly, is why I decided the OB wasn't for me....the more research I did, the more I came to believe that 2.5 is a turd of an engine.

    I'm also going to check out the Volvo XC70 & XC90 2.5T.

  7. #7
    skobiken
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    132
    Drive an 2007ish Honda CRV. They're ugly as crap, but the interior quality, comfort and handling (for an suv) makes up for it. MPG is supposed to be pretty decent as well.

    I drove one a year or two back and was very impressed with it. Tried to talk myself into getting one, just don't really have a need for an suv/cuv.
    Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither. - Ben Franklin

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33
    A buddy of mine has a Murano.. I think it's an '03 and he's got 130K+ on it now. He's never had to fix anything major on it (ie engine, transmission). It's a great road trip car. Lots of room and a pretty comfortable ride. Gas mileage ain't great.

    If you want a proper truck-ish SUV I endorse the '03-'09 4Runner.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13
    I actually work as a nissan tech, and I would advise against it unless you are the type of person that likes to trade in every few years. They would be nice cars to have as long as they're under warranty if you know what I mean. CVT trans problems, headgasket leaks, transfercase leaks...ect..

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    55
    i have a 11 murano. pleasant enough, large inside, comfortable for long drives. at a squeeze can fit my bike in the back without taking the front wheel off.
    milage is good for a car as heavy as it is, which is to say pretty bad. the cvt especially on earlier models was known to be a weakness. It is a very numb drive with that transmission though.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13
    The very first model murano actually had the most bulletproof cvt nissan makes, now it seems like they're not as well made, I replaced a trans in one the other day with 300 miles on it :/ but then again I work at the dealer, so I see mostly the bad.

  12. #12
    Carbon or Commie?
    Reputation: axisofoil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    227
    Well, if you're checking out Volvo's... you're in the Audi Q5 and Allroad (and A4 Avant if you're going used) price range...

    You said you wanted a more luxurious cabin? It's gonna be hard to beat Audi in that department.

    Might also check out the BMW x3 or x5.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: StuntmanMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    594
    Thanks for the info on the Mo's. I'm thinking I'm going to pass.

    The CRV, even if I could get past the looks, those things just scream "chick car" to me, I just don't think I could ever drive one.

    I absolutely LOVE the new Allroads, my neighbor just got a white one and that thing is dead sexy.

    However, I'm looking for something used, and am trying to keep it at or under 13k. So that pretty much rules out any BMW. The earlier Allroads can be found in that range, and look great, but my research leads me to beleive that those are NOT cars you want to own after the warranty expires.

    So that leaves me with the XC70, and I'm looking at the '05-'07 years. The interiors look nice to me, and I've read that the seats are uber comfy. They come with the 2.5T (inline 5 with a low pressure turbo) which is far as I can tell is damn near bulletproof. They look to be pretty reliable in general as long as they're taken care of correctly.

  14. #14
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,088
    Honda Element.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    109
    IMHO murano had the thinnest roofing ever. During a slight rain, I couldn't even hear the voice from the in car gps with all the plonking and platter. The drive was otherwise positive. Nissans interiors were pretty average though. Reckon mazdas n Hondas interiors were 1 up compared to the Nissans.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: StuntmanMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhanney View Post
    IMHO murano had the thinnest roofing ever. During a slight rain, I couldn't even hear the voice from the in car gps with all the plonking and platter. The drive was otherwise positive. Nissans interiors were pretty average though. Reckon mazdas n Hondas interiors were 1 up compared to the Nissans.
    My brother had an '05 Mazda 6. You're right, that car had a great interior.

    Found an '07 XC70 that I want to check out tomorrow. It's 2.5 hours away, I hope it worth it! It's the color an options I want, so hopefully it works out.

    And the Element.... I just recently conceded the fact that those may be a handy vehicle. Istill hate the looks though, lol! And after 8 years of making fun of them, I'd feel like too much of a hypocrite if I bought one.

    And it's not really what I was looking for exactly, but I found a used Honda fit nearby with 96k for 7,900. The miles don't scare me, a friend of mine just hit 280k with her '00 Civic. I'd just worry about how long the clutch would have left. Kind of a last resort car, I guess. The interior space looks good though.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: StuntmanMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    594
    Drove an '07 XC70 today. I absolutely LOVED it.

    It drove amzingly, was very comfortable, and seemed very spacious. Interior had a very quality and luxurious feel, and it had some great features.

    It was pretty much the oposite of the Outback I drove. While the Outback felt plain and tin can like, the Volvo felt luxurious and like it could drive through a brick wall.

    I pick it up sometime this week!!

  18. #18
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,088
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    And the Element.... I just recently conceded the fact that those may be a handy vehicle. Istill hate the looks though, lol! And after 8 years of making fun of them, I'd feel like too much of a hypocrite if I bought one.
    Whatever you do, don't sit in one. You'll end up buying it.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: StuntmanMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Whatever you do, don't sit in one. You'll end up buying it.
    Too late.... Bought a Volvo!

  20. #20
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,088
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Too late.... Bought a Volvo!
    ought to be great. hope it works out well!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •