mtbr member

New ride for my ride - FJ Cruiser. Rack shopping...

'08 FJ Cruiser with 20k miles, off road package. Like new clean, for now.

Looking at rack options, want to stick with hitch mounted, and would prefer the wheel-cradling type. Needs to carry 2 bikes at most, hardtail 29ers or road bikes. Not really concerned if the bikes need to come off the rack to open the rear gate, and the rack will be coming off the truck whenever its not hauling bikes. Was kindof looking at the Yakima hold-up. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    1up. Everything else is a compromise where you and your bikes lose.

mtbr member
    Just throwing it out there, if you're not completely married to the hitch rack idea

New ride for my ride - FJ Cruiser.  Rack shopping...-img_2134_zpse5729f7e.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Very nice. Have me wanting an FJ again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Just throwing it out there, if you're not completely married to the hitch rack idea

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2134_zpse5729f7e.jpg 
Views:	2008 
Size:	313.0 KB 
ID:	824615
    I like this idea for longer or foul-weather bike transport I do want a hitch rack though for retaining the gear capacity inside for camping.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the FJ. That's a pretty low milage unit for the year. Mines a 2007 and I'm about to roll over 200,000km (124,000 miles) any day now.

I have the Thule 916 XTR hitch rack and have zero complaints about it. It's solid, rattle free, quick to get the bike on/off. I leave mine in all the time and it folds up and down easily when you don't need it want access to the back cargo area. I had my bike and a 29er on there last weekend and they fit fine.

The only thing you need to buy is two extra matching keyed locks if you want to use their built in cable locks. I use them plus a chain lock to my receiver hitch when I know I have to run into a store or park at my work. It's expandable to hold 4 bikes should you want to in the future.

I bought mine at ORS Racks Direct, they had pretty good pricing and fast, free, shipping from Vermont.

Proud American
    I have trouble posting pics, so here's a link to a photo of my FJ with rack and bikes:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...r&notif_t=like
    Last edited by bluejudad; 08-19-2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Forgot link

mtbr member
    Nice! I think I'll be going with the 1up myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by breckenridge View Post
    I like this idea for longer or foul-weather bike transport I do want a hitch rack though for retaining the gear capacity inside for camping.
    Yeah, this is my setup for local trails and long trips(non-camping) eventually I'll get a 1up I think for camping type trips. I can get 2 rigid 29ers in or the RIP9 and a rigid 29er not sure about two RIP9 type bikes though, and those pretty much require a dropper post or the ability to lower the saddle a good amount. L or XL frames may not work at all setup like that.

mtbr member
    NSR-4 rack on my FJC. Very happy with it, and most importantly, it allows access to the rear compartment with bikes loaded.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    We bought a 4 place 1up for our road trip this summer on my wife's Highlander. Seriously nice piece of equipment. Although its a bit annoying when strangers come up to your wife in the parking lot and tell her she has a nice rack.

The nice thing about the 1up is that the bikes go on and off quickly, which is handy for a hatchback style vehicle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I used an OSI Hitch mounted rack on my Toyota Sequoia. It was awesome! Hold 4 bikes by the top tube, top security tray locks into place so you don't have to worry about theft, rack locks to your hitch and the whole thing can swing away from your tailgate without taking bikes off. I loved it but we sold our Sequoia and no longer need it so it's for sale. Message me if interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Just left a review for my Thule Spare me rack

If you don't have a rear view camera then this rack is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I like being able to open the door on my FJ...

MWE Racks

mtbr member
    I'm an '08 FJ owner. I highly recommend a swing out hitch mount. I do not recommend a spare tire rack, the hinges on the rear door aren't the greatest. If you can afford it, the best hitch rack I've seen is the iSi Rack.. : iSi Advanced 4x4 Bicycle Carrier and Bike Rack Systems

I'm saving up for one!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Used a lot of them- Saris Cycle On, Kuat NV, Thule T2, and a lot of prong-style ones. The T2 was my overall favorite till I bought a 1UPUSA....it's the king. I'd still use the T2 but the 1UP is a generation ahead.